How did you get on?

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Every water is different Mark but I’m starting to get better results with Robin Red 8mm pre drilled pellets. A bag for a fiver will last for several sessions so not too expensive.

Ive ticked the tench box but the bass are eluding me, non stop weed and murky waters along the Thanet coastline, no good for lures. I’m hoping to get to Hythe next week and hope the conditions are more favourable in the English Channel compared to the Muddy North Sea.

I am trying to get something soft on the hook because that's the only way I know how, I know, lazy dumb cluck. I was tempted to try the RR soft pellets today but seemed to be doing well on the casters and one fake maggot, well; it looked that way for a while. A small pot of soft RR cost me £3.25p with about 20 pellets in it, strewth' That's about 6 loaves and a big tin of sweetcorn, I can fish all summer with that so I am going to limit myself to one pellet a week.
The sea looked great today, flat calm and clearing out nicely. If this winds stays calm could be ideal conditions next week and high tides around mid day I think. I have not heard the mackerel here yet but they shouldn't far away and if they are in the bass might be around as well. I will be hard pushed if I don't get this tench bug out of the way but good luck, love to see you land a bass, still the best fish.
Shame about Grove Ferry, I fished there with dad back in the early seventies, shame to see it going over to the black arts.

Last edited:

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Mark, looking at those castors and the couple of dead maggots in with them, they seem ok. Ou can fish a worm head and feed castor,
I would try a bottom end only float and dot it right down, Tench can either give a shy bite like little knocks on the float or a sail away bite,
As for Robin Red pellets they are a good bait, I use them with the groundbait ,or failing that a krill flavoured groundbait.
If you get lots of tiny fizzing bubbles over your bait, it could be that the fish are rooting in any silt on the bottom, just start a new swim a few feet away.
Looks like you had a good day, , ??

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I am trying to get something soft on the hook because that's the only way I know how, I know, lazy dumb cluck. I was tempted to try the RR soft pellets today but seemed to be doing well on the casters and one fake maggot, well; it looked that way for a while. A small pot of soft RR cost me £3.25p with about 20 pellets in it, strewth' That's about 6 loaves and a big tin of sweetcorn, I can fish all summer with that so I am going to limit myself to one pellet a week.
The sea looked great today, flat calm and clearing out nicely. If this winds stays calm could be ideal conditions next week and high tides around mid day I think. I have not heard the mackerel here yet but they shouldn't far away and if they are in the bass might be around as well. I will be hard pushed if I don't get this tench bug out of the way but good luck, love to see you land a bass, still the best fish.
Shame about Grove Ferry, I fished there with dad back in the early seventies, shame to see it going over to the black arts.

Reports of mackerel being caught in numbers today (or last night) in Hythe, I can almost hear the stampede.?

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Mark, looking at those castors and the couple of dead maggots in with them, they seem ok. Ou can fish a worm head and feed castor,
I would try a bottom end only float and dot it right down, Tench can either give a shy bite like little knocks on the float or a sail away bite,
As for Robin Red pellets they are a good bait, I use them with the groundbait ,or failing that a krill flavoured groundbait.
If you get lots of tiny fizzing bubbles over your bait, it could be that the fish are rooting in any silt on the bottom, just start a new swim a few feet away.
Looks like you had a good day, , ??
I am really happy with my float set up, I noticed last time when a couple of chub went in the weed a couple of bottom shot just came off the line so I reckon better for fishing weedy swims. As the fish do not feel the shot except the tell tail shot I reckon it is sensitive. I am having to think eels here so krill, worm could be dodgy and I hate eels. I did try different depths at first but got more action hard on the bottom so you are right, some of the "nibbles" might have been tench as well but I missed a lot of bites, just couldn't hook on them but they looked like they just might have been small roach or rudd. the two I did hook were good proper sail away bites, I think I may have been striking a bit early before.
I think someone who really knew caster fishing might have had a field day today but I found it interesting, some moments and next time, a bit wiser. thanks:)
Those casters just seemed tiny to me to what I remembered, big red ones.

Last edited:

Philip

Reaction score
Rare couple of days for me so I ventured further afield. The river is a lovely place with a big head of Barbel which along with Chub, Bream and some nice Dace came my way but nothing exceptional. Early next morning sitting there with mist rising off the river it looked perfect but I had the strong urge to move. I only had the day left & Its not easy to turn your back on guaranteed action in a nice place but that’s whats I did, so I found myself making the 50 Mile drive across country to a different river. This was a different kettle of fish, much lower stock, difficult access but the potential for a big one. I arrived at 10am and spent the next 5 hours getting stung & cut to bits in scorching sun looking. I didn’t see a single other angler, I didn’t see a single Barbel either & with time running out I had to make a decision if I was to wet a line. I settled on a spot with the worst access (of course) & droppered out some bait then I sat back behind the rods to wait. Not even a tremble troubled me for the next 7 hours and with dusk closing in and my finish time rapidly approaching I started to pack away. Glancing up the rod tip gave a slight knock. Bat ? …I was not sure but it was enough to make me squeeze every last second I could. With just the rods & net left out I sat on the bank in the deepening gloom staring at the rod. The atmosphere was electric, with darkness closing in I felt something was going to happen. Suddenly the rod knocked and started to pull round, I hit it & the rod hooped over. Fish on ! It didn’t tear off like Carp and held deep. There were snags everywhere and I piled on the pressure & it gave a couple of heavy head shakes. My first instinct was this was a very large Barbel. Gradually it started to come up in the water then suddenly in the gloom the bronze back of a huge Barbel loomed up from the depths in mid river for a split second before powering back down again. I really didn’t want to lose this ! The rest of the battle was fraught with tension, I didnt have my head torch on & only saw an outline as I pulled a large shape over the rim of the net…it was mine ! I heaved it up the steep bank & carried it to a grassy spot. Pulling back the net a big bronze flank greeted me, only problem was it was a Carp !

Now don’t get me wrong, I love catching Carp but I was gutted. I don’t often make these mistakes but the fight coupled with my conviction that I had seen a Barbel on the surface had convinced me. However the fact was in the space of a few seconds I have gone through a range of emotions ranging from major anxiety, sky high joy and deep disappointment. I guess thats what makes angling so great :)

A nice place to be..

Swim 1.jpg

Look closely & you can see a shoal of Bream on my bait...I took the photo through my Polorizing glasses...

Bream2 .jpg

Its difficult to walk away from a stack of these, but I did...

Barbel.jpg

Frustration, anxiety, joy and disapointment, all in the space of a few minutes...I Iove fishing ! :) ...

Carp3.jpg

Last edited:

Reaction score
Well went to the small river yesterday,top end,very low and shallow,causing super spooky fish,hadtwo good chub 4lbs+ and two barbel 4&6lbs,plus two small roach,a chublet,a nice dace and a gudgeon,nice to be out,fish watching,because you couldnt catch the buggers,lol....

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I had a few hours trotting on the river from mid afternoon until tea tme today. I had a number of dace, small chub and even had minows hanging themselves on a 14's hook stuffed with maggots or maggots and corn!
I did have a few decent fish, three barbel and one chub. Had some good banter with a few anglers I know and then my stomach took command of the session and it decided it wanted filling with jack bit, so it was homeward bound to fill it.
A couple of pic's ...

Forgot to mention, wierd how both these fish had a large chunk missing from the top half of their tails.
The other ones all had full tails.

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Otters!!!

Yeah, does look like classic otter attack damage.
I've been catching them like this for as long as I can remember though.
Sometimes I catch more like this than others, maybe when an area has had an otter active for a spell. But after saying that fish do move around so who knows really?

Last edited:

Reaction score
Yeah, does look like classic otter attack damage.
I've been catching them like this for as long as I can remember though.
Sometimes I catch more like this than others, maybe when an area has had an otter active for a spell. But after saying that fish do move around so who knows really?

they are the lucky escapees,if it happens on our smaller barbel and chub rivers down here it's curtains sadly...

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
they are the lucky escapees,if it happens on our smaller barbel and chub rivers down here it's curtains sadly...

Alan, I reckon those little rivers are so prolific you don't need worry about otters, they'll prolly keep the fish healthy.
Do you have krayfish present in your rivers?
If so the otters are likely to target them before they will any fish.