How did you get on?

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Well with all due apologies to S63, it's happened again. Two personal bests today, 5lb Barbel and 14lb carp. Both epic fights, both very welcome on the mat on what was an abysmal July day up here in the frozen North.

Both caught on Double large pieces of Luncheon meat topped with sweetcorn, with lots of added spice, soy sauce, and cheesy and garlic Groundbait as a bit of a crust.

3 more Barbel followed and Carp of 10 and 12lb also graced the net. A red letter day.

Lately it seems to be I can do no wrong and I'm sure the days will come when it doesn't happen for me, but for now I hope I can ride the wave for a little longer!
d188ea8a02ae8c87e16f7d17c17b389e.jpg
15b894c1af28e46de28d80a454793885.jpg
32debe9fd377f5532c13cd963da505f5.jpg

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk
Great fish and well done, which fishery was that ,?

tommos16

Reaction score
That was Holbar again Mark. A 32lb carp came out recently and while I know that's swimming in there, I'm going to fish it! Can't pass that chance up, could well be once in a lifetime for me because I'll never be a syndicate man I don't reckon

no-one in particular

Reaction score
The pier has opened again so back to my constitutional walk with a dear friend who happens to be a retired surgeon (I pick my friends wisely:)) but he nags me all day, what are you eating, are you looking after yourself; on and on it goes so seeing this bass come up was a welcome diversion.
Note the shallow colored sea with a bit of swell running, low tide coming up. This is ideal for beach fishing here on the bottom with some smelly bait. The fish don't seem to mind the shallow water, they come in with the tide looking for churned up worms and crabs. Best time to fish, better than high water when the sea is like this. Another angler caught a small one on the other side, this is probably about 2lb. Given me a dilemma next time I go, chasing the totally illusive or actually give myself some sort of chance for a change, I know I won't pick wisely!
Photo1684.jpg
Photo1687.jpg
Photo1685.jpg
Photo1690.jpg

Last edited:

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Today‘s report is sponsored by Progold. ?

Just had time for a quick hour on the estate in between domestic duties, surface fishing for a carp, yes I did say a carp, seemed the best idea given the short time.

A nicely coloured common didn’t disappoint. The tree gods then grabbed at my controller float which is now adrift on the lake, a good excuse to go back tomorrow for another go.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Strange colour for a carp looks like been sprayed gold or is it a koi.

most probably a hybrid Steve, there are Koi’s in the lake and some interestingly coloured carp. The lake also has a black tench, I’d like to catch that alongside one of the golden ones.

seth49

Reaction score
Back on new club water yesterday, it did forecast showers but not the gale force winds that accompanied them, real squally showers they were, so the bank we fished last week was out of the question, the other side was sheltered so decided to fish there.

It was slow to start, first fish was a barbel about a pound and a half on luncheon meat, there’s a few of these in here, good little scrappers too, then I had a carp of exactly ten pounds, on my margin pole on worm, seems to be the best bait in the margins here.

Had a few carp coming into the margins, but they were very wary, this side does get fished more, being nearer the car park, did get two more carp about six pounds each, plus another barbel, and lost a couple of carp to hook pulls, mick was having a bad day, fished all day for one tench of a couple of pounds.

Will fish the other pond on Thursday, it’s giving rain first thing before warming up later, should be ok.
71D4DE47-0A33-44EE-9F01-030A571D9615.jpeg
9856C1B5-D497-4AC0-A795-245217BA3AFC.jpeg

Roger Johnson 2

Reaction score
Well, as promised I’ve bought myself a #8 fly rod for throwing big lures in search of pike and black bass.
Gave it a try out yesterday evening, fishing from the float tube it was more of a learning session than a fishing session!
The wind was quite gusty which made controlling the tube a bit problematical which coupled with getting a feel for casting weighty lures on a heavier line than I’m used to, conspired to make anywhere near accurate casts near impossible but it did improve by the end of the evening as the wind dropped, needless to say a blank was recorded. However lessons learned, don’t try and combine inflatable craft and fly casting in windy weather, practice casting with a new outfit whilst standing before trying it sitting in the water.
There you go, no success, but it’s good to get out of the comfort zone and try something new. ( I couldn’t help but think what great fun fly fishing for pike from a tube would be on Frensham ponds!)&

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

silvers

Reaction score
Flyer,i've won two opens off of there... ;)
How many years ago and what time of year? ;)
Bassy was on the last peg above the weir and Myles the peg above that. It looked lovely and had a nice place ...
instead of “you should have been here last week” it was more like “you should have been here 30 years ago”.

anyway... tomorrow evening I shall be venturing on to the Warks Avon to practise my feeder techniques. I have a match on the middle Trent on Saturday and my local contact tells me that feeder is king at the moment. I’ve never used the “dink dink“ as most of my feeder fishing is for barbel or Stillwater bream ... I shall report back!

Reaction score
How many years ago and what time of year? ;)
Bassy was on the last peg above the weir and Myles the peg above that. It looked lovely and had a nice place ...
instead of “you should have been here last week” it was more like “you should have been here 30 years ago”.

Thus my winky emoji Alex,wintertime and a lot of years ago,20lbs+ of roach on one of them,hemp and caster,your favourite...

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
I decided to go to Newlands this morning for a few hours, only took 2 short margin poles, Didnt want to take feeder and pellet waggler rod for a short session.
Bait was sweetcorn, Dynamite baits 2mm , and durable hookers . And couple slices of bread.
Got to peg and baited margins either side with corn and softened 2mm to
my left, and durable hookers and softened 2mm to my right.
Floats were 4 x 14 shotted with stotz in bulk and dropper near the hooklength , line was 0.21 reflo hook was kamasan B911 size 18 and 16. 18 for corn ,16 for 6mm durable hookers.
Went over the left margin first, a few grains of corn went in around float, I primed the right margin with 2mm squeezed into a ball so they would stay in one place.
Float dips and sails away, Lift into expecting a surge either along the margin or into open water , up pops a roach of around 5oz , I lifted it out of the water ,unhooked it and back in it went, The margin poles have short lengths of solid 18 elastic in top section, so basically what gets hooked gets landed, especially 5oz bloody roach.
Each dip of the float resulted in either roach or a skimmer on corn, So tried 6mm durable hooker on right margin , Same thing happened with those.
I must have had every roach and skimmer in the pool in my margins, Normally it's a couple of roach and skimmers then the carp move in. Not today. I started fishing at 11.30am and had first fish at 11.45am, I packed up at 2.30pm after nearly a fish a chuck from either margin, I would have enjoyed it more if I had taken different pole with lighter elastics, but do that on here you get seen off by carp each time, especially on hollow elastics.
More than likely back on ther tomorrow or friday ,weather dependant, with pellet waggler and feeder set up. If breezy, just a feeder rod .

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
That was Holbar again Mark. A 32lb carp came out recently and while I know that's swimming in there, I'm going to fish it! Can't pass that chance up, could well be once in a lifetime for me because I'll never be a syndicate man I don't reckon

Next time you go on Holbar, fish a straight lead, 15" hooklength and 8mm pellet either hair rigged or quickstop.and fire pellets over the top, fish up to an island or just short of it, This is inside information ?
Dont neglect the margins either

Last edited:

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
A day at Boddington

I haven’t fished there for a while, I used to be a regular, and I’m not used to documenting my fishing expeditions so please excuse me where necessary (or completely), I thought it would be helpful for someone hoping to fish there to give some tips on how not to fish it!

The weather was generally windy with bouts of cloud and sun in equal measure, the temperature was very mild (I think my car said 17°C) inspite of the wind and cloudy spells.

Well you can’t grumble about the scenery facing you:
peg.jpg

I fished peg 30 something, there were two or three matches on the preferred carp pegs (road wall and around the beaches), but I like the pegs along the first straight from the car park anyway as the trees save you from the sun later on in the day. I’d had a look around before getting my gear out and there were a few carp showing on the surface around 50 metres out, the ducks and coots were further out keeping a keen eye on the match along the road end, and the wind wasn’t too bad - this looked promising.

I got my tackle and made my way further along the path looking with anticipation at the water; the further up I went, a green slick became more and more obvious:
slick.jpg

Sometimes you could be forgiven for thinking that it’s St. Paddy’s Day when arriving at Boddington.

Whilst tackling up, the waterfowl decided to take an interest in what I was doing, they hovered closer at around 50 metres out, so I decided to take my time setting up so as not to incite any more interest in my antics. Eventually, they lost a bit of interest and moved another 20 metres or so further out to keenly observe the match once more, but still hovered a bit to close for comfort. So my plans to fish 40 – 50 metres out were thwarted as I knew it would only pique their interest, so decide to fish around 2 - 3 rod lengths out which I could feed by hand (I think that ducks etc. respond to the sound of a catapult) and there were signs of fish up near the top. Plumbing up, the water was around 1.6 – 1.7m deep.

Float rod in hand, 3bb insert waggler, hook-bait set around 300mm deep, I decide to see if anything would respond to pellet, cast out and had trouble sinking the line due to that green stuff so had to cast much further out and draw the line back to sink it.

Sure enough there was some interest with the float bobbing about; change of depth, bait, shotting etc.; but no fish. I tied a new hook length, an 18s spade hook and wrapped dead red enticingly around the bend of the hook:
peckers.jpg

Ah, that explains it. A few more later, I decided to see if anything was hovering deeper in the water. There was a bit of tow taking my float to my left so it suited moving the shot further down to try and compensate, besides, with all the palaver sinking the line, there would be no slow and attractive descent amongst the feed. Eventually I was on the deck catching some nice roach:
better.jpg

With the tow picking up, I laid on around 150mm which kept the float still and started to produce lift bites and a better stamp of roach:
roach.jpg

Occasionally the swim would go quiet and I would pluck out a small perch or two, and then back to roach. In my experience, when the swim goes quiet like this it generally means pike (and there are some big ones coming out regularly on boilie), so I decided to keep changing depth and shotting to try and keep in contact with the fish (tow allowing) if they indeed were there. Moving the bait up and down in the swim, this turned up:
stripey.jpg

A very welcome sight!

I really enjoyed my day, even though I had intended catching a few carp to put a bend in my rod, I much preferred catching some nice silvers. While I was set at the right depth, it was virtually a fish a chuck. Changing from 1 to 3 maggots seemed favourite on the day, I didn’t get a proper sniff on pellet.

I don’t know how many fish I caught as I hold the rod in one hand and turn the handle with the other which often leads to me losing count, I know it was more than one, but it really didn’t matter. I would prefer to have had what I caught rather than 100lb of carp.

In hindsight, I wish that I’d taken some hemp and or worms (tumeric munga???) I normally do, it’s just me and my blasted trials at taking only what I need. One day I’ll learn - you never know what you need until you get there, so take everything. I’m sure there will be bait shelves before long available for boxes and chairs to put it all on.

Whilst I’m not claiming to be the best angler, I’ve found Boddy can have its moods. It’s been hammered since headmaster allowed us back on the bank (imagine Brighton beach). Even before all the lock-down, Boddington had spates of being hammered with big matches taking place there or multiple matches taking place on the same day, mid-week matches as well as the weekend and all year round.

Today I managed to catch a few silverfish, maybe not to the standard of a regular angler at the venue, but a day I will remember none-the-less.

The Runner

Reaction score
Tried another new mark today over on Loch Bracadale near Ullinish. Its quite a boggy and rough walk in but only a bit more than half a mile so not too bad. Was armed with my last three mackerel fillets from last year's supply, no sign of them so far for me this year on my normal spot for them, some squid in case couldn't find any mackerel, and small selection of lures for spinning rod, and would fish tide three hours up and three down.
Was just setting up when a small boat puttered round the corner, bloke on it stopped about 20 yards out for a chat and helpfully informed me that the loch was full of mackerel at the moment. Even more helpfully when setting his crab pots, he left a fifty yard gap in front of me between the two lines so I could fish without worrying about snagging the pots or rope. Put a decent sized strip of mackerel on a 1/0 and punched it out about 80 yards, 4oz lead took about 15 seconds to hit bottom so a good depth. Was just setting up spinning rod when water close in erupted with 2 to 3 inch fish scattering everywhere so changed rig to have a couple of tinselly lures above the usual little paddletail on a 10gm jighead .
First three chucks, nine mackerel...So thats the bait sorted, good fun on spinning gear
Beheaded, gutted and fresh mackerel on the hook; dropped a bit shorter as reckoned any better fish might be following the mackerel closer in, hit bottom, tip slammed round, another mackerel. And for a while that's how things continued, looking like might be hard to get through to anything bigger. Switched to squid on the hook, stopped the mackerel bites, after half an hour had a three foot twitch that somehow missed but nothing more. Tide running quite hard now so switched to a grip lead and let it fish itself while I had more fun with the mackerel. Put a small Dexter Wedge on and decided to see how many consecutive chucks could get a mackerel on. Answer, 29....near the top of the tide now, no more bites on the squid , so up to a 4/0 and put a much bigger piece of mackerel on, waited about ten minutes and the tip banged a few times, resulting in a dogfish. Missed the next two bites so back to a smaller hook and bait, four more doggies in the next 90 minutes and got bitten off (on 30lb mono) by something- one nod of the tip, thought I'd missed it , and came back without a hook. Thought one of the dogs was going to be something better as rod was right over, mostly almost a dead weight but could feel the kick of a fish- expecting a ray to surface but just the dog plus a load of weed on the spikes of the lead.
Quiet again towards half tide down so busied myself with the mackies again, still one a chuck. No idea how many I must have had, but 18 of them are now in the freezer which will keep me in bait for a few trips (Was going to be 20 but two ended up on the grill when I got home)
A few shots, mark and doggies. Note spinning rod plastered with mackerel scales....
IMG_1548.JPG
IMG_1550.JPG
IMG_1551.JPG
IMG_1554.jpg

tommos16

Reaction score
The runner, I’m not sure any of us fish anywhere near as nice as you do! Consistently great photos and reports. I’m so jealous. I’m back in Oban for the fourth time in August {Hopefully!}. Do you know the fishing in the area at all? I’m a freshwater angler but the idea of a few sea species crossing the net would be perfect. Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk