How did you get on?

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What rod were you using Ian; i didn't think you had rods with reel bands.;):)

I've had that rod 15yrs now. I used to have two but sold one of them. The rod is a drennan im8 specimine float rod, one of my all time favourites!
I don't like the bands but put up with them preferring to keep the rod original. Also have a super tench and a im6 light feeder with reels bands.

steve2

Reaction score
Most of my Drennan rods have this type of reel bands and so do most of my older rods never found a problem with them. Although the older metal reel bands do slip.

The Runner

Reaction score
Down to Quatford today, dropped in to one of our usual banker swims, . A bit slow, half pound chub after an hour, four pounder a couple of hours later and then no activity until started packing away. Tip dropped back, thought it was another chub at first but soon realised it wasn’t. My first two pounder in England, 2-2.
FB9FEB02-1E9B-45CF-B1C0-649190B5FC9D.jpeg

flightliner

Reaction score
Prepped for a few hours on a nr local stream last night.
Then arrived and was fishing for 12-45 pm with float and bunches of red maggots hoping for a chub or Barbel.
Third trot down the floats under and I connect with a fiesty perch of a lb or so but tho nice I was hoping that it would have been a chub or Barbel.
I persevered for three hours hoping one or the other would secumb to the maggots or the now change bait of flake but sods law prevailed as usual and it started to rain heavy enough to soak thro my hoody.
I had left my brolly at home choosing to travel light as my weather app suggested no rain until around 6pm when I would have been home by then.
I suffered things for a little while then sadly beat a retreat to my car some half a mile away.
I was disappointed but hey, we can't get it right everytime we get out to wet a line!

Attachments

• IMG_20200907_150852.jpg
    IMG_20200907_150852.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 75

peterjg

Reaction score
Fished the Thames again with similar results to last week. Started off catching 2 bream (both about 4lbs) at first light, one on legered corn and the other on bread. My plan was to perservere for roach with legered corn but the roach weren't really interested. Later started float fishing, caught 38 roach to about a pound on either hemp, tares or wheat, today hemp was better than tares or wheat. No bites on trotted corn. Three of the roach were caught on legered corn. The water was a bit clearer than last week and the roach came in short bursts of bites with long biteless spells.

Not quite so many boats, they treat the river like a motorway, seemingly racing each other from lock to lock? A few paddle board things, someone will be injured ( or worse) using them on the Thames!!! The boats totally disregard the speed limit, is nobody monitoring or enforcing it now? Seriously, some of the boats were going fast enough to ski behind them! I think that I shall leave the Thames to quiet down before returning.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Fished the Thames again with similar results to last week. Started off catching 2 bream (both about 4lbs) at first light, one on legered corn and the other on bread. My plan was to perservere for roach with legered corn but the roach weren't really interested. Later started float fishing, caught 38 roach to about a pound on either hemp, tares or wheat, today hemp was better than tares or wheat. No bites on trotted corn. Three of the roach were caught on legered corn. The water was a bit clearer than last week and the roach came in short bursts of bites with long biteless spells.

Not quite so many boats, they treat the river like a motorway, seemingly racing each other from lock to lock? A few paddle board things, someone will be injured ( or worse) using them on the Thames!!! The boats totally disregard the speed limit, is nobody monitoring or enforcing it now? Seriously, some of the boats were going fast enough to ski behind them! I think that I shall leave the Thames to quiet down before returning.
Lots of paddle boards and inflatable kayaks on Thames at Sandford in warm weather

steve2

Reaction score
I see there are even complaints about paddle boarders on the Royalty Fishery now and also on Throop. They seem to be getting everywhere.

silvers

Reaction score
Had some paddle boarders on the Great Ouse at Willington on Sunday .... one lady had a small dog on the board with her that seemed very calm. It’s navigable there, so can’t grumble ...

i’m posting one of my infrequent reports as I fished one of my favourite matches of the year on Sunday (the Bedford Hospital Cup) ... but I’m rushing ahead!

saturday saw me at Bewdley for a Riverfest qualifier on the Severn. 3 feet of extra water in the river made it an out and out barbel match... but sadly I drew the best dace peg on the whole river (gutted or what?) a handful of tiny dace and one barbel for 6:10 was my lot ... so no qualification this time.

Sunday was a reduced Bedford Hospital Cup. this is a favourite match for me because
a) the fishing is good as it’s usually on oakley to Queen’s Park, which are prolific
b) there’s a good turnout of 60-80 normally
c) it raises money for a great cause (my gran and dad have both had good cancer care there) with part of the entry fee and a big raffle.
d) the prize fund is boosted by Blunham AC who add a few hundred to the pot.

only point c applied this year ... and without the raffle. It was a reduced entry of 50 on willington only, but still raised £500 for the hospital so worth attending and Willington is fairly even, if not so prolific as Kempston for example.

I arrived a Few minute late after roadworks shut my route in Milton Keynes so I had to detour quite a way to get across the M1. most had already departed for their pegs, but there were still four pegs in the draw bucket. I drew out peg 40 on the day and was told that it might be on the “concrete block” - which is a noted flier that I also drew back in October last year and came 2nd in a winter league match. feeling hopeful I went down to the river and confirmed that I had indeed drawn the flier (as usual some would say!).
i set up to feed 3 lines ... just over the marginal weed for perch and bits with maggot, down the middle with hemp & caster for roach and then tight across to the reeds with caster hoping for some chub late on (Although the barge that was moored there previously has gone away this year). I alternated between the first two lines for 3 and a half hours, but never felt like I was building any weight, as the fish were tiny ... an ounce roach was big! the hemp fish were even smaller than those on caster. A handful of slightly better perch helped.
with an hour 20 to go I picked up the waggler for the far bank line for the first time , immediately catching little chublets with a few slightly chunkier ones, but still felt like I was going nowhere fast!
next step was to up the feed, so from 10 to 20 samples per cast I upped it to a pouchful of hemp & caster every time and shortly after hooked and landed a chub around 3 pounds . Shortly after that I had two more about 10-12 oz. so with 40 minutes left I thought I needed a couple more decent fish for my 14 pound target weight (I estimated that I had 9-10 at that stage). But nothing more was forthcoming so I was regretting not doing full justice to the flier.
i was pleasantly surprised when the scales arrived and I lifted the net out (“there’s twelve here“ I thought). Even better when the scales settled on an ounce short of the stone! So despite feeling like I was chasing the match all day I’d achieved my target weight (all bar that ounce).
i was fortunate that this proved to be the best weight on the day, for my second win in the event (5 years after the first).:)
well chuffed!

Reaction score
Well done Alex,it is that sort of venue these days...

silvers

Reaction score
Thanks Alan, I was warned about the invasion of micro bleak, so fished to avoid them and catch some stamp fish ... but the lack of any roach over an ounce surprised me! When I drew the same peg a year ago I had about 6 pounds of proper caster fish In my catch.

Last edited:

The Runner

Reaction score
Nice one Alex.
Always liked Willington on the handful of times I fished it. Did the Blunham teams of 3 a few times back in the day, probably quarter of a century ago now. Was a very fair section back then as well

The Runner

Reaction score
Hard again today, fished a real snag pit at Eardington and lost 2-1 to the barbel. The one I had was about 6-8, sorry no pic as a bit of a precarious stance so left most of stuff at top of bank. Not much for the others either, only 6 between the five of us and one or two decent roach. It should be fishing better than this

Reaction score
Des told me lots of tiny 1oz roach were present some while ago...

seth49

Reaction score
Out again for our normal Tuesday fishing trip, mick and I back on our new fishery, fished twelve till seven thirty pm, margin fishing for the carp etc, usual set up sleeper rod to my right hand margin, on an alarm with either paste or mussel, and other rod fished from my chair held all the time, also fishing paste or mussel, this fished beside a large clump of irises.

Quite a mixed bag today, started with F1s then a mixture of tench and carp, the sleeper rod did get one or two today, including the best carp of the day at ten pounds six ounces, nicely coloured as well, as usual we had the place to ourselves, no one else fishing, finished with three carp, and losing three more which just came of, four F1s and five tench, so a nice mixed bag, all the carp caught today were commons, including the five mick caught, the weather was mild with just one very light shower, back on Thursday for another trip, will be joined by Neil too, good day out enjoyed it.

Also had a couple of chinook helicopters fly past, in the afternoon, recognised the sound before I saw them.
EBF4461B-A1AF-481F-9385-614B63637ED0.jpeg
DC9FCC7A-8D4F-4CF3-953C-33058FA0D67E.jpeg
72588952-DF6D-4FFC-9710-EB09AA40A64B.jpeg
33576190-73CF-4AEB-AE52-C0F180CF65DC.jpeg

wetthrough

Reaction score
Had a day on the Leigh - Runcorn stretch of the Bridgwater yesterday:D Perfect day for fishing, not too sunny or windy, overcast for the most part. Fished from about 6:30 'til 4. Nothing exciting just a nice days fishing with 46 on the clicker plus a handful of micro fish, about 50/50 Perch and Roach. Nothing of any great size. Biggest was probably 5oz if that. Only bad part was someone deciding to use a petrol strimmer in the garden behind me for an hour or so.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lost mojo, reward if found.

I rolled over on Monday morning and cancelled my trip to the river, just didn’t fancy getting out of bed before sunrise, any later and it’s a waste of time with paddle boarders etc.

A succession of blanks thrusting expensive lures seawards has dampened my enthusiasm, once again swimmers, paddle boarders etc make daytime fishing from the beach almost impossible, the only areas away from this along the Thanet coastline are still strangled with weed which in some places has piled up on the beach two foot deep, the stench is unbearable.

I did make a trip to Ramsgate harbour and bought a bucket of live prawns of which many died on the short journey home before I got them into my oxygenated container. Took a handful of the lively ones down to the beach last night and tried some float fishing, ninety minutes without a touch.

Her ladyship is on caring duties today and suggested I pop over to the estate for a few hours, I’ve stayed at home looking for that missing mojo, I know I’ve left it somewhere.?