How did you get on?

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I know the feeling John. I don't think I have ever seen weed in the Sea as bad as you describe. A large lead might unnerve a paddle boarder.

long time locals say it’s the worst weed they’ve seen in decades, it’s known as the May weed but it will most probably not disperse this year. A bit of an ecological disaster as crustaceans have had their rockpool type habitats totally smothered.

I feel sorry for the residents in places like Birchington, Westgate and Margate, the smell of rotten eggs has been heavy in the air for a month or two now.

Minnis Bay

79F92B7E-6345-4711-8111-2B6A7AFA87CD.jpeg

rayner

Reaction score
Got there eventually.
I'd only been on the bank an hour and the venue was rammed with almost every peg taken. When is Borris going to force those on furlough back to work?
The wind was not to my liking as I was spraying bait all over the place, had a few fish but what do you expect. Fishing a little closer in to negate the wind a little kept my feeding tighter but was still a little sketchy.
Hopefully, next time will be quieter with less wind and fewer anglers.

bullet

Reaction score
It appears to be becoming a big problem in other places, the Sargassum in certain areas of the Caribbean has been a nightmare the last few years.

The Runner

Reaction score
Better day for me today at Apley, seven barbel all on 6 mil pellet. No real size, five up to 4 lb or so and two big cigars. Oddly had them all between noon and 4pm when the sun was full on the water and barely 3 ft deep where I was with all the colour now gone
9FE8E626-B41B-4413-8167-2F820A9B4F01.jpeg
D238AF2F-88F5-4A96-A432-DA234698AC62.jpeg

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Had an hour on a small river outlet late afternoon. I fished several swims and had quite a few fish in each. Esox snaffled a couple of fish off my hook in one spot and killed the swim forcing me to make a move. I kept the fish from my last swim in my landing net head for a quick pic. There should be a absolutly huge dace in that picture but....I put my rod down and got my small digi scales out, hooked a small placcy bag onto them and placed them on my sling bag in readiness to weigh the dace. I got the dace out of my net, but, as I held it, it wriggled and because it was so big and chunky I didn't have a good grip of it and it slipped out of my hand, falling on a load of old dried up laying down nettle stalks. I tried to get it but as I did it wriggled and slipped throught the bloody stalks and dropped back into the river ?.
You couldn't make it up ffs, the fish was either the biggest dace i've ever caught or as big as any that I can remember and I was going to weigh it special as I never bother! It was a wierd thing to happen how it did and I really was looking forward to seeing how much it weighed.
I'll never know now, but I reckon it was quite a few ounces over a pound.

rubio

Reaction score
I still ponder on a lost dace. Couple of seasons back. Assumed it was a small chub in the gloom. As I slipped it back I noticed the pectorals and mouth. Not much chance to grab that one back either.
Maybe you'll cross paths again in February. Imagine how big then.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I still ponder on a lost dace. Couple of seasons back. Assumed it was a small chub in the gloom. As I slipped it back I noticed the pectorals and mouth. Not much chance to grab that one back either.
Maybe you'll cross paths again in February. Imagine how big then.

Yeph, your never know, I might catch it again.
To be honest though, the waters I fish I catch quite a few huge dace but never bother weighing them, then the first time I try that happens lol.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Would you claim the record if it was?

No, not interested in records. I was just curious to see what it weighed, especially after getting my scales and placcy
bag prepared.

peterjg

Reaction score
Fished the Loddon yesterday afternoon and evening until 8.30. Trotted wheat in the first swim caught 4 small roach and a dace. Moved to a deeper swim for the evening, legered either breadflake or dead maggots. Had another roach, a couple of perch and a perch taken by a jack pike which I lost. Then a run of 5 blasted signal crayfish which signalled a retreat home. Only angler there.

peterjg

Reaction score
Peter Crabtree - blimey I don't want to see his ugly face again!!! German streak of p!ss! Only joking (I think?)!

On second thoughts - PK if you read this all the best and keep waving the flag!

barbelboi

Reaction score
After a few sessions fish spotting I decided to take a stroll over the fields once again with a rod and line. The target was roach and I knew where some fairly decent ones were so set off with the old Microlite2000, pin, bag, net and mat. The weather was settled and I trotted a stick in four locations and managed 5lb 4oz of roach (3 fish) and a few small chub that gate crashed the last hour. Fished from 1-4.30pm and managed to avoid the small roach which are quite abundant.....
9sept20ise.JPG
9sept20iseroach.JPG
9sept20isechublet.JPG

RobinS87

Reaction score
Had a great first week of open season on the Idle River in Retford. I went fishing 6 out of 7 days a week with a few friends. Caught a bunch of chub and mustache between us and I even put the new PB chub exactly 5 pounds. I also had some good cockroaches and a friend of mine had a good perch weighing about 2 pounds.

Keith M

Reaction score
I haven’t heard Beards being called Mustaches before Robin; that’s if you were talking about Beards of course :)

Keith

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I haven’t heard Beards being called Mustaches before Robin; that’s if you were talking about Beards of course Robin. :)

Keith

Have you heard them being called tashes before Keith ?

Keith M

Reaction score
Have you heard them being called tashes before Keith ?

No Ian, I havent. Having a ‘full set’ of four barbules and not just two I can see more likeness to a beard than a tash. I’ve learnt something new :unsure::)

Addition to original post: As well as ‘Beards’ we also call them ‘Whiskers’ but it’s the first time I’ve heard them called ‘Tashes’ or ‘Moustaches’ :giggle:

Keith

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
No Ian, I havent. Having a ‘full set’ of four barbules and not just two I can see more likeness to a beard than a tash. I’ve learnt something new :unsure::)

Keith

I haven't either Keith, just askin' if you had ?