How did you get on?

tommos16

Reaction score
I'm rooting for you Mark. I know a friend who has "dead baited" with a realsitc lure and caught

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

The Sogster

Reaction score
I had just over half a pint of maggots which needed using up, so decided to take the minimal amount of tackle I thought I would get away with for a couple of hours on the river in my local town centre.
So I put together a 12' float rod and avon float, filled my bit apron pockets with a couple of disgorgers, a tub of mixed shot a couple of extra floats and ready made hook lengths and of course the maggots. Tackle was completed with a net and lightweight handle.
I can honestly say it must over 40 years since I've taken so little gear.

Arrived about 2.30pm and fished until dark.
I had quite a good couple of hours, with a mixture of mostly roach to around 8oz and a few dace finishing with 18 roach and 5 dace.
No 'photos today, Rotherham Town centre is not particularly scenic.

wetthrough

Reaction score
Another enjoyable day with Mike despite the leaves and diminutive fish. I've seen that robofish in action and it's very realistic. It doesn't just look realistic it moves realistically. I'd be astonished if a Pike was about and didn't fall for it.

Mike early on when there were a few less leaves about:

BWSL_Mike_20201110_104219.jpg

Looking forward to the next session.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Temperatures were at 13.5 degrees at midday today so I headed off to swim the stream. I knew the levels were a little bit up on my prefered level but it was ok. It was dull and the clouds where threatening rain as I walked across the the field to the river, they waited until I was stood out in the river before dropping their deluge on me!
Anyhow, it wasn't long before I had a barbel of around 6 or 7lb which was the first of a few. I think I had five barbel, pulled the hook out of one, one decent chub of about 4lb or more, a few dace and a couple of small chub. I had anglers above me and below, all were legering bar one who was trotting a float but no one caught bar me ?.

Last edited:

Reaction score
Five barbel for me too Ian,5 to 7lbs(plus a baby about 8ozs),along with 12/14 roach to 8ozs,out of a swim I haven't tried before,I will fish it again,it took me half the day to sort out where the fish wanted it presented,after watching barbel swimming up and down without really stopping to feed,I also watched three tench,one around 4/5lbs,one around a pound and a bit,the other around 4ozs,all swimming in the fast swirly water as if it were a pond,amazing...

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Five barbel for me too Ian,5 to 7lbs(plus a baby about 8ozs),along with 12/14 roach to 8ozs,out of a swim I haven't tried before,I will fish it again,it took me half the day to sort out where the fish wanted it presented,after watching barbel swimming up and down without really stopping to feed,I also watched three tench,one around 4/5lbs,one around a pound and a bit,the other around 4ozs,all swimming in the fast swirly water as if it were a pond,amazing...

Sounds like an aquarium!

No chance of seeing them where I was, it's about 80yds across and i'm stood as far out as I can get in thigh waders, and then cast another 25 to 30 yards to get to the line I want to fish. The clarity and speed of water doesn't bode well for fish spotting.

Reaction score
Lol,plenty of speed where I was Ian,the river narrows(yes,narrows,lol)to probably 7m and pushes hard with boils,the clarity however is like tap water,around three and a half feet deep,you can see every piece of gravel,every blemish on fish,scale damage etc,even more so than summer,making the fish very aware of your presence,i've said elsewhere,but if this river is any reference to barbel behaviour elsewhere(which it normally is fairly standard),barbel are continually flitting from spot to spot,now,they must be looking for food,as if they were running scared there are many inaccessible places they could hide in,when these fish,come through they seem to assess the safety of eating in a spot,then wheel and carry on their way,thus where you choose to place a bait is critical,where I fished was just short of an overhanging clump of reeds(eight rushes)laying on the water on the far bank,so I couldn't see any fish,hopefully they fed because they couldn't see me....
As an aside,in the swim upstream was a fella float fishing(with an old Normark daimura blank,12' 6" and a pin) he had had a long break from the sport and by his own admission he hadn't much angling prowess,he cast a pin fairly well however(his swim was perhaps 13/14m wide),he had some gorgeous casters and his feeding was hit and miss at best,but in the 2.5ft of clear water I could see roach and barbel feeding in a back eddy,some quite large,a large tench visited him several times,I take it his control let him down because apart from odd roach and dace he hooked no bigger fish,yet on the three occasions I went up for a chat they were feeding with gusto on his tasty offerings...
You can see the fish without polaroids,unless light levels are poor,and I mean really see them...

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lol,plenty of speed where I was Ian,the river narrows(yes,narrows,lol)to probably 7m and pushes hard with boils,the clarity however is like tap water,around three and a half feet deep,you can see every piece of gravel,every blemish on fish,scale damage etc,even more so than summer,making the fish very aware of your presence,i've said elsewhere,but if this river is any reference to barbel behaviour elsewhere(which it normally is fairly standard),barbel are continually flitting from spot to spot,now,they must be looking for food,as if they were running scared there are many inaccessible places they could hide in,when these fish,come through they seem to assess the safety of eating in a spot,then wheel and carry on their way,thus where you choose to place a bait is critical,where I fished was just short of an overhanging clump of reeds(eight rushes)laying on the water on the far bank,so I couldn't see any fish,hopefully they fed because they couldn't see me....
As an aside,in the swim upstream was a fella float fishing(with an old Normark daimura blank,12' 6" and a pin) he had had a long break from the sport and by his own admission he hadn't much angling prowess,he cast a pin fairly well however(his swim was perhaps 13/14m wide),he had some gorgeous casters and his feeding was hit and miss at best,but in the 2.5ft of clear water I could see roach and barbel feeding in a back eddy,some quite large,a large tench visited him several times,I take it his control let him down because apart from odd roach and dace he hooked no bigger fish,yet on the three occasions I went up for a chat they were feeding with gusto on his tasty offerings...
You can see the fish without polaroids,unless light levels are poor,and I mean really see them...

Sounds like a dreamy kind'a place your fishing Alan ?.

seth49

Reaction score
Well yesterday’s trip started badly and then went downhill from there, first thing I was setting my chair and pole up, and the first section of my pole blew into the water, tried to get it with my landing net handle, but it just kept sliding further in, went to the cabin to find some rope and wire to make a grappling hook, luckily I found both, so I bent the wire into a letter v, with a long side and a short side, tied the cord to the short side so that the long side would be at the bottom when pulled in, luckily on the fourth throw I felt something and as I drew it slowly in, it surfaced and it was the pole section, brought it to side where mick managed to grab it, this was my second trip with my new pole, I would have been gutted to lose part of it.

So eventually started fishing in my favourite peg, but today not a bite or a sign of a fish either, there where seven more fishing and they wasn’t catching either, although mick did manage a couple of carp in the afternoon, me I fished till dusk without an offer, ah well nice to be out fishing again after all the rain last week, out again Thursday all being well.

Reaction score
It Is,but far more difficult than it should be due to the amount you see(that said many anglers do not spot them,i've spent so long fish watching it comes naturally to me),I feel lots of venues have good numbers of fish swimming past,without anglers realising as there is poor visibility,waters where you can catch good numbers of barbel,have loads more that we don't catch and on days we catch none,the buggers are still there,lol....

tommos16

Reaction score
Went after the Pike again today, bouyed by my success earlier this week. Cast out and left the bait on spots for ten minutes or so, and on my last cast the float cocked and almost immediately sailed away - an unmistakable bite.

After a hell of a scrap on as tight a clutch as I dared (there's more trolleys in this canal than there is in Asda) I managed to land my first double - 10lb on the nose - and no issues with the hooking either (my biggest concern right now whilst somewhat inexperienced).

With no one around, the only thing I've got is an awful photo in the net and a picture of the scales so you'll have to take my word for it I'm afraid haha
4725403e2fd0e5f9ba151b0e9935ea10.jpg
46e765f897b0f3cccd3420da32979af2.jpg

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Travelled light this afternoon down to the Colne in town. The river was still pushing a bit and the leaves were a bit painful..See video on my previous post. Started fishing maggot feeder and double maggot on a 14 hook. First bite was fairly immediate, a good sized dace.

6D6207BA-ADEE-46B0-AFB7-92C146F4AD26.jpeg

Next came a plump river roach...

0DAFA9A0-BB3A-41F2-8D46-E04EC63A310E.jpeg

As it got a bit darker the tip flew round and by the resistance and the unusual (to me) fight I suspected it maybe a trout?
It wasn’t.

4FAB18EF-F51A-4EC1-A080-3DAB6BCCB06B.jpeg

Reaction score
Lol,make me smile every time little berties,scrap like crazy and have the same ambitions as their larger brethren,the need to pull rods in,lovely looking dace that too Simon...

Pete Shears

Reaction score
Fourth trip since getting new kit after the house fire on 10th November last year and still getting used to it although I can still blank with the best of them.Have had small perch lure fishing on the Grand Union and scored two blanks on both usual reservoirs when hoping for pike but have managed a couple of jacks spinning.
Starting out from nothing it is a surprise how little is actually needed after losing around twenty years plus of kit designed to catch anglers and not fish.Just waiting to get the right rods to go small river fishing for chub and anything else that comes along.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I've been out for a few hours each day so far this week. The reports are basically the same for each day. Around ten grayling and five trout each time. Chuck in a solitary lost dace and a parr, a soggy gusset (thigh waders) and cold knees/calves (breathable chesties) and you're bang up to date.