How did you get on?

peterjg

Reaction score
Yesterday I fished the same swim on the Thames as I did last Monday (then had 28 roach and 1 perch). To be honest I was expecting another good day, it's a nice swim which I have fished several times before. Left hand rod upstream legered dead maggots. Right hand rod, used 7m whip with layed-on flake in 8ft of water. Ended up with two roach and a snotty and lost another which fell off at the net. At one point an otter suddenly surfaced (made me jump) right next to my float! Anyway what with the otter, clearer water and a decrease in water temperature to 44F I struggled - nothing new there!

mikench

Reaction score
Clearing ice of the car windows would normally have persuaded me to forego the fishing and have a hot chocolate in the warm. However a trip with Gordon is not to be missed so we met up at a familiar venue and one I have had success at.

IMG_8351.JPG

I liked the reflections in the water hence the pic. Neither of us caught for at least an hour when Gordon produced this nice roach.

IMG_8348.JPG

Gordon caught steadily but irregularly whilst I couldn't get a nibble. A guy turned up and sat in the next peg fishing a straight lead and a pellet. He managed 3 decent carp in the 4 hours he fished. Others were struggling and so was I. Gordon reminded me as he nonchalantly caught his third carp that I hadn't blanked in 2020. Now that isn't saying much as there was no fishing for 3 months or so and I have spent 2 months away. I couldn't buy a bite on maggot, meat, pellet and expander. After 7 hours without a nibble I was about to fling the gear into an adjacent field and take up crochet when I had a sail away and this little fella saved my blank.

IMG_8352.JPG

I didn't weigh it just smiled and made a sigh of relief. It was cold but the absence of any wind made it bearable. It's a sad state of affairs when one solitary fish in nearly 7 .5 hours of trying provides contentment albeit fleeting. It's a funny old game. It can get worse but being an optimist, i reckon next time out will be an improvement. Cheers Gordon and here's to the next time.

Pete Shears

Reaction score
Piking again on the local canal feeder reservoir in brilliant sunshine, met a mate I have not seen for nearly a year and had 2 pike in ten minutes - only about 4lb each but better than a blank and was a good start for circle hooks and a sprat as bait. About seven too many cormorants but early on before they arrived fish dimpling the surface all over, fantastic to see. First river outing tomorrow on the upper Soar.

seth49

Reaction score
A change today fished the river Calder for grayling, would have been impossible years ago, as it was very polluted now it has a good head of grayling, up to around three pounds I believe, it must have been cleaned up a lot, as grayling like clean water I’m told.

So didn’t start too early as there was a white frost this morning, arrived about 10 am, and walked across the field to the river, bit higher than normal with a bit of colour, anyway tackled up and started trotting the first pool I came to, nothing doing so walked down to were Neil was fishing, he was using tip rod with maggot feeder, and he had caught a couple of trout, and while I had a brew, he caught a grayling of about 8 ozs, so I started trotting above him, again nothing, it was pleasant in the winter sunshine, so just happy to be using my Young’s purist 2 for the first time, it went well with the 14 foot Shimano rod I was using.

Around 12am I got my first fish a small trout, followed by a couple of grayling then I lost one and the bites dried up, meanwhile Neil was catching both trout and grayling, they seemed to want a static bait today, chap fishing above us had a lovely grayling of about two pounds, certainly fish this stretch again, nice day to be out.
F9F9C93D-6668-47B6-93A6-0F81C718EF86.jpeg
F2991BEE-B5B3-4D86-8A01-F2FCA767EF07.jpeg
0E309365-8FB5-4402-B4AD-908CAF3D5E98.jpeg

Reaction score
Great post that Gordon...

Went yesterday,turned up,nobody in the carpark,no frost,of I trundled to my swim of choice,a clear blue sky,bright sunshine and a chilly north wind meant it was going to be difficult in the gin clear river,so it proved,never had a touch for four hours,hands were chilly(unusual for me),two guys turned up and fished above me,one blanked,the other had a small chub and a roach(all day),anyway,all of a sudden down went the stick float,fish on,then off,a decent roach scale,four more times that happened over the next hour,then I had a chub around 3lb,pressure off,then a while later lost another off the hook,then another which buried in nearbank reeds,as the day went on I totalled four decent chub,two around the 3lb,one close to 4 and another 4lb 7ozs,eight or ten chublets between 4 & 12ozs and a solitary roach,also lost a foul hooked barbel that seems determined to reach the estuary some 25 miles away.
My day ended sadly however,one of my handmade aluminium hook tyers gave up the ghost,the brass tightening knob's 6BA thread stripped after more than thirty years use:cry::cry::cry:,as i'm retired I haven't access to machinery or materials anymore,so have ordered a repacement ali one for £3.88 post free,could have got one cheaper,but wouldn't have got it until 7th of January from China....

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Had a long walk yesterday with my mate and stopped off for a chat with a beach angler. Sea was dead calm and clearing out, not conducive for fish this time of year, still, had a good chat about whats been going on and caught etc. He had loads of gear and knew what he was doing. Nothing but pin whiting though which I guessed would be the case. Could do with a bit of a blow to bring some cod in and/or flatties, there have been some odd ones caught up and down the area.. Just some pictures I took for want of some fish of my own but this will have to do for now. Just look at that sea, if only it was warmer.

Attachments

• 100_0613.JPG
    100_0613.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 59
  • 100_0601.JPG
    100_0601.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 59
  • 100_0615.JPG
    100_0615.JPG
    574.4 KB · Views: 64

rich66

Reaction score
Yesterday was a cold start even at 9:30.
I bought a copy of the Bread punch diaries last week so thought I’d give the punch ago.
4 1/2 hours gave me 7 roach all minute apart from one. But my brother on maggot had blanked.
It turned out to be quite warm in the sun and I soon had to remove my coat as I’d layered up more than usual.
7cfd5f637d94e6a2106dd1d847471d4c.jpg

783a2171441eb557a616ac3b83f43d17.jpg

Reaction score
Well,i've been sorting my kit out today,as Thursday(Saturday and Tuesday)is one of my days,but having just seen the forecast I really don't think I'll bother,rain from dawn till dusk and 5° tops,I was planning on going to a stretch of river I haven't fished for 18 months and its a fair hike,so i'd be drowned...:confused:

sam vimes

Reaction score
A standard short winter session. Back to bigger hook, stronger hooklink and bunches of maggots. Didn't seem to unduly impact on the fish caught. Twelve grayling and a dirty great brown trout of around 3lb. Sadly, the average size of the grayling was a little small with five of them being fingerlings and nothing even close to a pound. I wonder where the bigger ones have gone.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Went to the canal yesterday and it was gin clear. Didn’t get a bite on waggler and maggot across to a moored barge until almost dusk.
It was a big chub which went straight under the barge and snagged me up. I gave it a slack line and after a while it came out and headed up the canal before snapping my hooklink (3lb line). Bugger!
Today I went to Windsor and fished the Thames, gb feeder and single maggot on a 20 hook, fished 9:30am to 3pm without a single bite. It looked so good too, the water was fizzing everywhere and fish were topping too which was very frustrating. It was lovely nevertheless, not cold or wet. A song thrush sat in a tree behind me singing it’s heart out occasionally interrupted by flocks of ring necked parakeets squawking loudly...

526BC5DC-8567-43E6-B889-83794C7C76B5.jpeg

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I got to the river at 12.45pm, the car thermometer registered 6 degrees and to be honest, it felt much colder because of a horrible cross wind. I could see another vehicles tracks in the mud which looked like it had only just left. As I got to my planned spot I noticed holes in the ground on top of the banking where rod rests had been, and fresh footprints made by anglers, obviously they were the ones who had left the tyre tracks, (I would have made a crackin tracker in a western movie). I imagine they had drawn a blank also otherwise they wouldn't have fired off.
The river was a little high for wading in thigh waders and I was on tip toes as I waded to my spot way out in the river!
I'd only had several trotts before I noticed an otter on the far side of the river, it porpoised as it made it's way upstreem towards me. I carried on trotting but couldn't see where the otter had gone. As I scanned up and down the opposite bank trying to spot the otter I noticed my float go under and struck into something very powerful, my line was tight and clearly visible coming out of the water as the fish shot across the flow towards the margins opposite. After about twenty or so seconds my hook pulled and when I checked it, it had opened up....very strange, I wonder if i'd hooked the otter lol. Narrh, more likely i'd foul hooked a barbel.
That meant I had to go ashore and re- tie a fresh hook?. After putting on a fresh hook and wading to back to my spot i'd only had about three trotts through my glide before I hooked another powerful fish, this time I had it on for around five minuites and purposely didn't put on too much pressure to avoid pulling the hook out. Anyhow, just as I got the fish to the point of reaching for my landing net the fish came off! I didn't see the fish but it was deffo a barbel, and by the feel of it it was a decent sized one. Things went down hill as after several more trotts through I struck into a sunken object and lost my hook and dropper shot after pulling for a break.
As I waded back to the bank to replace my hook it started to hammer down with rain and hail. I was on the verge of going home but forced myself to carry on and persistence payed off and l finally managed to land this little fatty....

I went back out to try for another but no sooner had I got out to my precarious perch mid river the wind picked up and it started to rain and hail with a vengance. It was only 3.40 at this point but it was so dull I could hardy see my float anyhow, and that's despite it having a long a bright yellow sight tip. That was it, I could feel the water soak through my thin packable puffer jacket, and it didn't feel good on my back! Combine that with legs that felt like a dentist had knumbed them and I decided enough was enough!

Forgot to mention that i'd video'd things for my personal viewing but when I got back to the car I realised i'd left the screen cover on the go pro LOL !

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I reckon i know where you were fishing. Cracking fish Ian. :)

Thanks Mike, but i'm quite sure you don't know where it is, it's a few miles upstream from the stretch we visited and on another clubs books.

john step

Reaction score
After a grueller Monday for 4 small roach on my club lake I went to the canal again today. Only a few minutes of drizzle but the rest of the session was dry.
In the 5 hours I had over 50 fish but only 2 netters. Very enjoyable fishing for bites on a light Normark waggler/maggots. I will endevour to get a better reel fitting done as its a lovely rod but those sliding reel fittings do irritate. No I will enlarge. They drove me nuts today getting loose!!

Anyway I had roach,perch,dace,silver bream,ruffe and only one bleak. Bitten off twice by a jack and a free Red Arrows display right overhead.
I tried for a photo of the Reds but they wouldn't slow down enough for my aim!!

Pete Shears

Reaction score
On the upper Soar this morning, the river being a little low with good flow but loads of weed. Settled on a favourite bend and trundled a float with flake through - non stop bites from minnows pecking the flake, tried worm, the same. Over to a small feeder - nothing, same with a small bomb and worm. Moved upstream to a straight section trotting a float,kept dragging under on weed,shallowed up 3", next trot down an absolutely mental male brown trout which weighed in at 3lb 12oz. Time for another move. Trotting another bend produced nothing so upstream again to a straight section, even shallower - another brown trout about 12oz. Time to see the farmer and order the Christmas turkey.

peterjg

Reaction score
Late start today (doctors appointment) so fished a nearby stream. Caught a chub on the whip laying-on with dead maggots. Moved swims a couple of times and swapped to legered cheese paste but no further bites. As dusk fell it started to rain, began packing up and slipped over on some mud - twit!

Philip

Reaction score
A session of just 1 cast.

As I am able to fish again albeit in restricted circumstances I went back on the river for an hour or so after Roach. Conditions looked good, but cold. I flicked out my usual touch ledgering setup and settled back in the chair. After a few minutes, I had a strange indication that didn’t really develop so I left it but something did not seem quite right. After 20 mins or so I decided to recast but remembering the earlier indication I struck the rod back just in case and lo and behold it hooped over and the reel started to spin..it was clearly not a Roach ! The fish powered off downstream until I eventually managed to turn it, then started the long slow draw back upstream. The bottom close in was very snaggy and I kept the fish up in the water as much as possible. A few circles close in and I slid a good Mirror Carp towards the net. It wasn’t till it was right over the net and I started to lift that I realized how big it was as the net only just got round it. I don’t often weigh Carp nowadays but as this one was clearly well over thirty I decided to put it on the scales. The needle stopped at 37.8.

After all the faff of weighing and taking a few photos for this thread my time was almost up. I contemplated a second cast but then thought hang on, I’ve just had a 37lb Carp on 6lb line a size 10 hook and a creaky old JW Avon quiver from a river in winter on my first cast …why spoil it ? …so I packed up & left it at that. There is always another day ! ?

download 3 (2).jpg

Last edited: