How did you get on?

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score

Three of us fished today at Leighton buzzard in the pouring rain . It was nice to actually get a bite. Only small roach and perch but worth the effort.

EE9CC942-E1C7-47A5-9938-6AFE3CEF2D86.jpeg

Last edited:

peterjg

Reaction score
PC, always nicer to be on the other side to the towpath.

Reaction score
View attachment 11908

Three of us fished today at Leighton buzzard in the pouring rain . It was nice to actually get a bite. Only small roach and perch but worth the effort.

View attachment 11912

Simon,I tried to PM you,but couldn't,just wondered if you would like several packets of the Drennan red hooks you like,I can't get on with them at all and you'd be more than welcome....

bullet

Reaction score
I was planning on nymphing for Grayling today, but the gauge was still a bit high, and rising, so a session on the Chub beckoned.
It's been tough going on the float recently, so I took the ledger rod as well.
Plan was to start with the float and maggot, then try a few spots with a small cage feeder and bread.
The first swim produced nothing, and the second was slow going until the float went under towards the bottom of the run.
The strike met solid resistance, but it was just dead weight so I thought snag, but then some powerful headshakes gave away the presence of a good fish on the hook.
It immediately kited sideways, and buried itself about 6 ft under the far bank willows before I could blink, so that was that, Bu**er !
Nothing more doing after that, so I started wandering back to the van trying a few spots with feeder and flake on the way.
One spot hasn't produced for ages, but I thought I would give it a go and started getting a bit of interest immediately, although from the little rattles and plucks it looked like small fish, and striking a couple of these resulted in nothing.
Another cast and the same, but then the tip pulled a bit more and I hooked a strong fish which again powered for cover, but I was on top of this one and got it turned and in the net fairly rapidly.
On this water I'm very happy with a 3lber, and anything near 4 warrants the scales, this one looked well over....
IMG_20201206_132746874.jpg

Went 4 and a half, and pleased with that I called it a day and headed back for some lunch.

tommos16

Reaction score
A new spot for me today, and an absolute nightmare to get to as well, but I was treated to a great day's fishing for the effort.

Fishing Dead maggots and worms, trotted through a slow flowing tiny Weir pool off the main river, saw me land about 50 of these in an hour or so. I was in pursuit of big Perch, but it wasn't to be, and I have no complaints as this was my first time every fishing a river.

My only issue is, what are they haha? Chublets, Dace, Ide? I have no idea unfortunately, any help would be much appreciated
b73836620da55e725b443c6a200d8f94.jpg
672eff3bf097b5b1da6a3be17545499b.jpg
1fd88bcf0b72e11f5606032a8791e0c0.jpg

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

sam vimes

Reaction score
My only issue is, what are they haha? Chublets, Dace, Ide? I have no idea unfortunately, any help would be much appreciated

They aren't ide. I'm fairly confident that they are dace. However, at this sort of size, the best way to distinguish between a dace and a chub is by checking the dorsal and anal fins. On chub they are convex, dace are concave. Unfortunately, none of your pictures show either fin to confirm that they are dace.

tommos16

Reaction score
They weren't all that size but the majority were. I was as surprised as anyone else at landing so many of them, it most certainly wasn't what I was expecting. It's such a hard place to access though, I highly doubt it has ever been fished, which may have gone in my favour. A good day today, which are always appreciated at this time of year!

Thanks all for the identification. I'll get better photos haha

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

john step

Reaction score
Back to the canal which flows slightly. Nice colour. I wanted to use my upgraded Normark . Absolutely lovely. No reel slipping.
First spot no bites for two hours so I up sticks and drove to the village section and had two hours there.
The roach seem to have taken up their winter quarters after the hard frost last night.
I stopped counting at 40 with a couple of perch and silver bream thrown in.

The only downside is that the first spot is mud free and the second a blooming quagmire. Oh well needs must. I found myself humming to The roach are back in town, the roach are back in town. Sorry Bon Jovi!

Pete Shears

Reaction score
A morning in the fog and frost at the local reservoir after pike again and again blanking. All the rain last Thursday & Friday had now cascaded from the surrounding hills and turned the colour a muddy brown which experience tells me it will hard going for weeks, still guaranteed to blank staying at home. And so to bird watching - bullfinches,bluetits,robins pied and grey wagtails, packed up around 11.30 for warmer drier surroundings.