How did you get on?

Pete Shears

Reaction score
As a Leicester lad the Wreake was my boyhood river-small river roving is still my favourite method. Which bit(s) of the Wreake are you fishing Pete? My haunts were around Hoby/Brookby.
Yes it is the Hoby/Brooksby and downstream stretch - wonderful wildlife and surprising fish for such a small river.

Pikerwoods

Reaction score
Went to local club water after spending previous day in and out of loft and sorting out pole tackle as thought I'll catch more on it as missed a few bites on my rod n line. Well weight of seatbox nearly doubled when refitted footplate, took me ages to set up, only had two bites, could not loose feed with catty holding pole etc etc. So took footplate of box, put pole away and got feeder rod out. I did catch two fat perch on pole one was a lovely dark coloured one just over a pound. Saw small fish scatter on top a few times by reedy corner so pole tackle back in loft, perch gear ready for tomorrow. No wonder I'm loosing weight climbing loft ladder...lol

rubio

Reaction score
Today's capture somewhat less impressive. Back down to earth!
20210206_152809.jpg

bullet

Reaction score
At least you caught!
I trudged across the fields even though I knew the river would be too high and too coloured, which it was.
2 hrs fishing Flake and Cheesepaste for nothing more than a couple of rattles.
Still, very nice to be out and spent most of the time watching a dozen or so Little Egrets flitting about, including one of the Great White ones that I don't see that often.

xenon

Reaction score
Yes it is the Hoby/Brooksby and downstream stretch - wonderful wildlife and surprising fish for such a small river.
Thanks Pete-always did punch well above it's weight. If you went way upstream (past the now broken down bridge) it used to be a lot deeper (8-10 feet) and a couple of old boys (being a teenager that meant at that time anyone over 40) used to set their stall out for big roach and regularly got two pounders from that stretch.

Pikerwoods

Reaction score
Back again with perch rods etc and worms & prawns for bait. Was a tad chilly as wind seems to get up across the fields from North Sea....bbbuuurrr. Tried to snow but after freezing for three hours upped sticks and currently thawing out by my Chrome book. Only bite I had was off a maggot pinching Wren.

terry m

Reaction score
Yes, always fish with unloaded pencils in rivers. This year have been using long pencils with vaned tops that make for easy visibility. I just adore the first wiggle or lift of the float when fishing that method. You can interpret what is happening at the business end as long as you are not fishing more than about 8 inches over depth.

Hampshire Avon pike are such handsome creatures. A far cry from some of the anaemic examples found in some of the local stillwaters.

tommos16

Reaction score
A week or so after last going Piking, where my mates either side of me got 8 bites (6 landed) and I got zero (despite being on the same bait) I set out today float ledgering with Mackerel to a local hottish spot on the Leeds Liverpool Canal.

Not a hint of a bite, except for frostbite for myself despite my best efforts, but I saw 4 separate Pike surface strikes over my bait from fish that looked in the 5-10lb mark. They are there, and its a known spawning spot so I had an idea I'd be "on" fish, so it now comes down to bait and depth I surmise. The issue is, unless I can sneak a live bait out on bread (no tackle shop near me has maggots or worms, or indeed any deadbaits), the only deads I can get locally are Asda Macks. The struggle is real, hoping to break the 7 blank run now.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
A week or so after last going Piking, where my mates either side of me got 8 bites (6 landed) and I got zero (despite being on the same bait) I set out today float ledgering with Mackerel to a local hottish spot on the Leeds Liverpool Canal.

Not a hint of a bite, except for frostbite for myself despite my best efforts, but I saw 4 separate Pike surface strikes over my bait from fish that looked in the 5-10lb mark. They are there, and its a known spawning spot so I had an idea I'd be "on" fish, so it now comes down to bait and depth I surmise. The issue is, unless I can sneak a live bait out on bread (no tackle shop near me has maggots or worms, or indeed any deadbaits), the only deads I can get locally are Asda Macks. The struggle is real, hoping to break the 7 blank run now.

Try phoning Partridge Lakes about maggots, so warrington tackle and guns.he usually has blast frozen sea baits. Or angling direct.
Try morrisons for Dead Sea baits.

mikench

Reaction score
Tommos try Willy Worms online for all your deadbaits, maggots and Worms . I think delivery within 2 days costs £4.95 but if you order enough for the freezer and for your mates and share the costs ,it's not bad. The maggots are fresh and well packed in special bags . I have tried them several times.

john step

Reaction score
Tommos. I have only fished the Leeds and Liverpool a few times and then in summer matches. My recollection is thats its not very deep and quite clear.
If you are fishing near features in a known spot the pike will wise up. Try a smaller bait. If you can only get mackerel use about 4 or 5 inches of the tail end .
Try a float overdepth with line on the bottom and watch the line near your rod like a hawk for movement. They can spook on tight lines.

Pop up the said mackerel tail with a wine cork on the blunt oozing end. You can pull a piece of string from the cork through the bait with a baiting needle and tie up on the trace. If it comes adrift it is biodegradable.

Also worth thinking about is the fact that in know spots the fish wise up and will take a bait a bit further up or downstream away from perceived danger. Your mates seem to have stumbled on this?

tommos16

Reaction score
Would just like to say for the kind advice Re Pike fishing from you all, hugely appreciated, I'll put in practice tomorrow/Friday and let's see if I can end this unwanted streak. You're all too kind!

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
My closest water is about 2 miles and is a picturesque ten acre mere. Er indoors and I walked there and back this morning and I harboured thoughts of going back for a few hours fishing. It was frozen over with the shallower bay also covered in a layer of snow. The deeper part of the lake on the far side looked free of ice from a distance but as ducks and seagulls cannot walk on water it clearly wasn't.

IMG_9171.JPG
IMG_9173.JPG

There wasn't a soul there not even the Hardy carpers. I shall not be going today. Nanook of the North I am not.