How did you get on?

sam vimes

Reaction score
why the hell do carp anglers especially name fish.

Not all do. Plenty of carpers thinks it's ridiculous. It's also not entirely restricted to carp. However, carp can be rather distinctive without the need for forensic examination, which is not usually the case for a roach, bream or tench. Where other species are especially large and distinctive, you can find they get names as well. I know that those inclined to name fish on my syndicate have named a couple of the bream. Both are large and have distinctive (healed) damage. There has also been a named pike in the past.

mikench

Reaction score
Well I decided to go piking at the same venue as 10 days ago and sadly with the same result. I should have known better.

IMG_9346.JPG

I enjoyed setting up the pike rod( messing as Er indoors calls it) and I also set up a light feeder rod with a maggot feeder and helicopter rig. I had a couple of swings on the feeder which came to nothing but the deadbait rod remained er dead. I did enjoy the day though in pleasant sunshine and just chilly rather than cold conditions. I always enjoy my little picnic and today was no exception. I might try again before the 14th but then again I might not. It's of no comfort that the other 2 ardent pikers I have got to know quite well suffered the same fate. At least the mud was much less.

The other downer was that the cross member on my Korum chair broke again at the weld. I have written to Preston so will await their response but this is clearly a design flaw. It isn't just the chair though as I have the barrow kit so will have to use my trolly and spare chair. They replaced the cross member once so I hope they will do it again. More anon.

seth49

Reaction score
Good luck with the chair part mike, I’m still waiting for my replacement part, been several months now, my guy at the tackle shop keeps chasing them up, but no joy yet, I’ve bought a new chair, and kept the other for parts, I don’t use the barrow kit anymore, just put the chair on the barrow with everything else.

I think they’ve sacrificed Strength for lightness , and it hasn’t worked.

mikench

Reaction score
I hope they accept the fault but in the interim i have another chair but no barrow kit. Which barrow did you buy Keith? I assume you bought another Korum chair which I wouldn't do if this design fault isn't remedied.

tommos16

Reaction score
A fun day today, which started with me targeting Perch and finishing with my first few Carp of the year.

A local match water has seen several Perch over 3lb landed, with one over 4lb, so I thought I'd ledger and float fish worm in the hope of landing one. Instead, four 3/4lb Carp saw the bank which were most welcome as both my first Carp of 2021 and extremely good scrappers on my 5lb line and old Abu Quivertip rod that is about as thin as the line.

A good day all around, considering how hard the winter has been.

Will be targeting those Perch all year if I can, as the water contains some decent Chub, Barbel, Ide, Gudgeon and Roach/Rudd for its size which will all likely be welcome bycatches

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Notts Michael.

Reaction score
After a bad start to the short, after work local river session (my rush to get set up meant I clumsily cracked a 1oz quiver tip, repair soon to be seen in Best and Worst Bodges) eventually lobbed a piece of mr Warburton's finest- pinched around a size 10 hook, 3/4oz lead, to the far bank near what little cover there was, after all my bankside kerfuffle and with low, clear water, It didn't feel promising.
within just a few minutes, a chub of around two and a half pound was in the landing net, after a run of blanks on the river lately, and always aware that the season is close to ending, I was chuffed!
further casts resulted in only snags and sunken branches, so I retreated happy with catching just one! I really need to organise a more basic, minimum gear type approach for these short roving outings.

Attachments

• IMG_2901.JPG
    IMG_2901.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 88

seth49

Reaction score
I hope they accept the fault but in the interim i have another chair but no barrow kit. Which barrow did you buy Keith? I assume you bought another Korum chair which I wouldn't do if this design fault isn't remedied.
Trouble is mike as a fishing chair it ticks all the boxes for me, apart from the barrow kit, the deluxe chair legs have the range of adjustments which I need as I’m 6 foot 2, with long legs, and I get a bad back if I don’t set it up with my lower legs and thighs at 90 degrees, also I’ve quite a few attachments for the chair as well, plus it’s very comfortable as well.

The barrow I have is one of the Matt Hayes ones, I forget the model, I paid about seventy pounds for it, it goes in the car ok, and carries plenty of gear, but it has to be loaded correctly or it has an annoying habit of falling over.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Used up a few left over worms yesterday, I went down by the groynes instead of the jetty; less to walk and I didn't think I would be staying long. Still a easterly wind that was quite chilly which didn't bode well. I had a suspicious looking tremble and then I noticed the line had dragged into the groyne, I thought I had a fish on but then got tangled in the groyne and lost my tackle, grrrr. I had another slight quivering of the tip and reeled in and the bottom hook had been completely stripped of worm, crabs! maybe but not too sure. After this nothing until I had used all the worms up. Typically the wind dropped then and it got a bit warmer as I walked home.
One little possible tip, as I made a new trace up which I do quickly by just tying two loops in the line and add a weight clip, I usually cut the loop near the knot and end up with a single strand of line to attach the hook too. I somehow without thinking cut the line at the end/bend of the loop and ended up with two strands of line of equal length. I threaded both of these through the hook eye and tied off. I ended up with two stubs sticking out from the knot instead of one and I found this helped keep the lugworm in line better than one stub. I haven't made up my mind yet whether this is better than my normal way, might help stop fish biting through the line but do I want a stronger double length near the hook or would it break at the knot first on a snap off? But it did keep the lugworm from sliding down and bunching up around the bend of the hook better than usual. I might make up a couple of traces like this and see how it goes, I need some new hooks and traces anyway.
100_0728.JPG
100_0729.JPG

John Aston

Reaction score
A couple of chub trips - the river being lower and more house trained than it has been for two months. We've had 5 metre floods repeatedly, as witnessed by the debris in the fields , but the river is now that lovely, late winter deep green , and is running at normal level at last. Still cold though, at 45-46F but the odd barbel man seems happy to spend a day in the hope of one. Not me, they are a high summer and autumn fish and chub are never fitter or feistier than during the next two weeks.

So , armed with a whacking great lump of cheese paste/crust on a size 4, battle commenced . Where possible -that is , where I could point the rod at the bait, I touch legered and 30minutes before dusk on day one came a long, slow and deliberate bite. Thump thump , thump - a gorgeous fish of 5-7, maybe the same one I'd caught a few weeks ago at that weight in the same area? Hope not - I dislike repeat captures almost as much as I loathe giving fish names. But if they have to be given names at all , can some imagination be allowed in nomenclature ? I'd much rather catch a carp called Miles or Gervaise than one called Big Lin , or a tench called Pitchford ...

Trip two - confidence buoyed , and exploring a new swim - the furthest walk , so lightly fished (what lazy so and so's even some fit anglers are) . A tentative , but unmistakable bite on my first cast produced the smallest chub of the winter, about two pounds and the only one under four since last summer. An hour later, mid river with 1/2 oz of lead , a walloping take , a powerful scrap and a 4-11. Not another bite in the next three hours but I went home happy.

john step

Reaction score
The coldest I have felt all winter today A NE wind and freezing fog! A stinging fingers day.

Experiment day too. I re elasticated a 25 year+ old Daiwa pole marketed as a "carp pole" with beefy elastic.
I wanted to find whether it would be suitable for extracting tench on the weedy river come June. I reason that I can drop a bait vertically after raking.
It may work??

It should be fine I think. Today I had 9 carp to over 8lb to give it a good try. Also hand roach and a lovely chub.
Its a nice deep pool with an inflow and outflow and one can align with a current and lay on in the flow.

screen shot on windows

No right to expect more than that on a cold day!

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
Weather forecast for this part of France was good for today, should have been sunny and warm. But it was a cool and grey day that did not raise my spirits!

Yesterday I had two hours fishing several miles downriver and blanked, so today I searched a few other swims. First swim the river was running too hard for my taste, so I moved on a few miles. My next choice of swim had an undercut bank that is just out of the main flow, it often holds fish.

First two hours no bites for myself or fishing buddy Alistair. Then the slightest knock for me - was it a fish? A firmer pull and I could not resist striking - my impatient mistake and missed the bite! I let it settle back and a few minutes later the tip pulled down hard - this time the hook point found its mark and the fish shot out into the main flow.

Barbel March 21.jpg

Nice fight and it weighed 5lb 2ozs.

Twenty minutes later a 2nd barbel just slightly smaller. Alistair blanked so I would think there were not many fish in this swim, he usually catches something!

We had to pack up about the time I would have expected the fishing to improve, there is another swim nearby that I wanted to try. 6pm covid curfew not helping at all for the fishing!

Roger Johnson 2

Reaction score
As #pelamid, I was tempted out by a kind weather forecast (and Mrs J out shopping with a friend), which turned out a bit colder than expected. Hoping for some more rudd I was rewarded with 3 tench on the feeder, no giants but nice to see. The last one taken on the ever reliable “ dog on the lap whilst drinking tea” technique!
!
5f95b6755e813dd55b4a51080f457e94.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I went piking again yesterday and blanked again BUT packed before the rain started so didn't get wet. That was as good as it got though a flotilla of red crested pochard did sail majestically through my swim at one point. Proper ducks them.....unlike the scabby mallards sh@gging everything in site and the coots and canada geese having a monumental fight with themselves and each other.....and anything else within about 50 yards too.

wetthrough

Reaction score
Back on my local pool yesterday. A bit more success with caster this time picking up a few bigger Roach and mostly on the drop. Odd mix really they were either quite small or quite reasonable with not much in between apart from the odd one. 31 altogether with 3 Crucians three very small skimmers, one of dubious parentage and the rest being Roach. Nothing like as cold as I'd expected. It was sub zero overnight but no ice on the windscreen first thing.

TCC_Crucian_b_20210303_112031.jpg
TCC_Roach_b_20210303_122227.jpg

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Back on my local pool yesterday. A bit more success with caster this time picking up a few bigger Roach and mostly on the drop. Odd mix really they were either quite small or quite reasonable with not much in between apart from the odd one. 31 altogether with 3 Crucians three very small skimmers, one of dubious parentage and the rest being Roach. Nothing like as cold as I'd expected. It was sub zero overnight but no ice on the windscreen first thing.

View attachment 13605View attachment 13606

I do like a nice crucian, they gladden my heart, like a kingfisher zipping along the river or a robin landing by the bait box.

My club is opening our new tench and crucian lake in the new season. Should be great.
eb3d36fca820d481199aca8c0350503d.jpg

It’s had about three years since it was dug this is July 2019. There are yellow irises planted around the margins and banks of lilies down the middle. Something to look forwards to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

barbelboi

Reaction score
I've had a few trips over the back recently with mixed success and yesterday strolled a little further over the fields to the main river. Armed with the Microlite2000, pin, bag of bits and a net I trotted a stick for three decent roach from the last swim I fished after moving a few times to avoid the small stuff. Fished from 1-4pm using 50/50 flake......
nene mar 3 2021.JPG
roach 3.jpg

mikench

Reaction score
To save anybody reading on and losing the will to live, as I did, I blanked.

I was up at 3.00am for the cricket and by 6 I was sick as a chip and feeling so despondent at England's woeful batting, I decided I couldn't be bothered listening any more but didn't really want to venture forth .I should have stuck with my gut instinct. I was the only one there and not a touch. Surprisingly as theré hadn't been a frost I felt frozen. There was a light NE breeze and I felt colder today that I have all year. An unmemorable day all round.

Last edited: