How did you get on?

rayner

Reaction score
Never mind Mike, I remember it's not all about catching, according to some on this forum.
If I fail to catch, I could commit murders but I'm the odd one out.

mikench

Reaction score
Thanks Gary. I know it's not the end of the world but today I thought the lake, normally so productive, was devoid of life. It was bloody cold too.:) Only last Sunday on a colder but brighter day i had lots of fish but today nothing. Onwards and upwards eh Gary. ;)

barbelboi

Reaction score
I've just returned from a bit of a struggle too Mike - similar setup to yesterday on the same stretch of river (didn't bother with another pic as it hasn't changed much in a day :)) but could only managed one fish..............fished from 1.30-3.30pm trotting flake again. I think I'll leave it now 'til Monday when a westerly breeze is forecast for next week....
roach.JPG

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
After getting back from taking partner to hospital, I was on my way to Newlands on first day of opening,A 20 minute journey turned into 40 minutes due to the M40 shut at junction 8 and traffic going down the bypass to avoid it.
Got to Newlands and met Mark the bloke I was fishing with, he already had a couple of skimmers,
I opted to fish margin pole due to deep margins where I was sat , and also noticing a few carp rolling or jumping in the margins on an adjacent bank, the feeder rod stayed in holdall.
Put a ball of liquidized bread on right hand side and around 15 grains of corn soaked in F1 flavour on left hand side, I didnt feed open water in front of me,
I had 2 bites on F1 durable hooker pellet in open water swim, nothing in the margins.
I showed Mark a packet of the Fjika pellets, he had heard of them but not tried them, I gave him a few to try , puts one on hook, casts small feeder out with soaked 2mms , goes to put rod in rest and tip goes round. After a brief battle a carp of around 12lb in the net,
He caught a few more carp on single pinkie as well.fishing into the deeper part of open water
I made the mistake of choosing wrong option, I should have tried the feeder up to the island in front of me. I wasnt the only only one who blanked, 6 other anglers on different bank also blanked.
Going again next week. And this time setting feeder rods up.

Last edited:

theartist

Reaction score
Been down the canal a lot, 5 short trips in ten days culminating in yesterdays effort, felt good to get out and get some fishing in, proper fera... phera.... preraput......pheraput....proper good for the mind and soul it was.

Did pretty well too with around 5 perch around the pound mark with one a bit bigger, half a dozen chub to 3-4lb plenty of roach and dace and of course those pesky gudgeon and bleaks, there was more bleak than the house that ****ens built at times. One small tatty golden rudd even showed, it must have been swimming around thinking how it's garden pond has got so big.

Plus all the characters down there, jolly good fun it was too

edit - forgot you can't mention Charles ****ens on here, Hard times eh! :D

john step

Reaction score
Went to my local canal. Used my pole. After a slow start I had plenty of bites on pinkie/maggot/worm. Tiny 22 hooks. I had about 150 fish mostly roach but also a few dace, rudd, silver bream and a few lumpy perch a pound or so.
A smashing day.
Although a cold NE nithering wind I was kept warm with all that unshipping .

Pete Shears

Reaction score
Out on the Wreake again this morning,not much wildlife about - a sole white egret ,two buzzards and a green woodpecker calling.
Had a chub of 2lb 5oz first cast on legered crust then lots of nothing,tried flake,worm and cheesepaste still nothing. Moving about one mile downstream,still nothing - time to go.Car told me it was 3C.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Walk in the park yesterday and a couple of blokes pike fishing the day ticket water. They had not had a take, they were using some sort of rubber lures, those with the wobbly tail types. The bloke said he spotted one in the margins and ran his lure pass its nose but it totally ignored it. I think it is this east wind although when I mentioned it to the bloke he looked at me and said if I am hungry I eat, I blanked in the sea the last twice and it seems quite a few are. I couldn't see any carp on top, in the summer you can see loads of them. Its gone up to £10 for a day ticket but I don't fish there anymore, full of rats and I don't fancy that disease they carry. However, as it is local so could be tempted back for an afternoon; there is or were at least some decent tench in there, they might stir this week as it gets a bit warmer.

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
Been down the canal a lot, 5 short trips in ten days culminating in yesterdays effort, felt good to get out and get some fishing in, proper fera... phera.... preraput......pheraput....proper good for the mind and soul it was.

Did pretty well too with around 5 perch around the pound mark with one a bit bigger, half a dozen chub to 3-4lb plenty of roach and dace and of course those pesky gudgeon and bleaks, there was more bleak than the house that ****ens built at times. One small tatty golden rudd even showed, it must have been swimming around thinking how it's garden pond has got so big.

Plus all the characters down there, jolly good fun it was too

edit - forgot you can't mention Charles ****ens on here, Hard times eh! :D
You had great expectations Rob; sounds like Bleak House. ;)

bullet

Reaction score
Well the wind is still in the east, but it was a nice day so took a wander over to the river where the farmer on the opposite bank had decided to remove most of the willows on his side with a swing shovel.
This swim has always been productive if tricky to fish because of the far bank willows hanging over the stream....it's not tricky anymore, but will the fish still be there?

IMG_20210307_150713259.jpg

As it turned out, they were, with this nice chunky one being the pick of 3 fish that were tempted by the trotted maggots....

IMG_20210307_143923193.jpg

The current has already changed considerably with the Willows gone, but the river is fairly low at the moment,so whether or not it will still hold fish after a good spate or two remains to be seen.

Pete Shears

Reaction score
Another piking trip to the local reservoir, cold but no-3C frost as forecast, the car told me it was 2C, luckily no wind so it was bearable . . .just.
Heard skylarks for the first time this year,sat watching two great white egrets. As well as the inevitable cormorants,six goosanders.
Eventually one of the deadbait rods went off and I managed to avoid a blank with a pike of about 7lb but when a NE breeze kicked in,swinging to E blowing into my face it was time to go - too cold.

ian g

Reaction score
I headed to my local canal this afternoon (Llangollen ), bright and sunny , cold last night and the canal looking clear . Right got the excuses out of the way . Fished a float and a tip rod , alternating between maggots and worms , fed chopped worms and maggots . Fished from 1.30 to 6.30 , not a sniff . I need to try somewhere else
:D
. Could have been worse, I could have stayed in and watched the football.
???

rubio

Reaction score
A couple of trips this weekend and lots of bites tho very much on the small side. 2 attempts during the week on other stretches got nothing.
River like this all over it seems.
Sudden influx of small Rudd which were previously sparse. Short while after a syndicate nearby apparently netted their complex. Suspicious. I think I am.

Roger Johnson 2

Reaction score
Had the last couple of hours on the river this evening, after a mild day it was nice to sit quietly and get off the mark with the first barbels of the year,( no surprise as I’ve not been able to get near the bank until recently due to high water levels. First fish was an easily recognizable old friend taken by the “checking your phone with a dog on your lap” technique, followed 15 minutes later by a slightly smaller one on the, not so clever, “put your landing net away before your rod” method!
9eff868f1d339da599b3e5c3631501a9.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
I headed to my local canal this afternoon (Llangollen ), bright and sunny , cold last night and the canal looking clear . Right got the excuses out of the way . Fished a float and a tip rod , alternating between maggots and worms , fed chopped worms and maggots . Fished from 1.30 to 6.30 , not a sniff . I need to try somewhere else
:D
. Could have been worse, I could have stayed in and watched the football.
???
Ahh...so you blanked ,just like Liverpuddle.?
I have seen that canal where it has been like tap water to around halfway across it,
It seems to be one of those waters were you can have good sport one day and struggle the next.

ian g

Reaction score
Mark , up the top end above Chirk it is like tap water . Around by me it usually has a bit of colour in it . The canal is quite raised around where I live near Whixall Moss and is pretty deep around 5 ft down the track . I usually do ok on here in the winter but I've struggled lately , do you know how Grindley Brook is fishing?

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Hi Ian,I will try and find out for you., I am not in Lymm anymore,
I didnt rejoin this year after 35 years in the club.
It wasnt viable due to travel restrictions plus membership going up from £55 to £85 then had to pay £10 to rent a key for the new locks that are fitted on the gates.
They have opened a waiting list for members and from what I have heard people are not clamouring to go on it.
If people like fishing for carp and catfish they cant go wrong in the club.

I will do a few phone calls and texts and see what I can find out about Grindley Brook.
Going by past experiences its normally a good banker for decent roach and perch.