How did you get on?

Pete Shears

Reaction score
A strong gusty wind across the reservoir yesterday morning with a touch of frost on the banks and a massive moon low on the horizon,that was worth getting up for. The pike fishing was again slow to nothing but the bird life made up for it - two great white egrets,common egrets , kingfisher,skylarks,buzzards,kites but my first sight of an osprey this year made the day this was tempered by the fact there were seven too many cormorants.
Just decided to pack up when the left hand rod went off and a jack of about 5lb saved a blank.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Today I decided to go to......
Yep. you guessed it.... Newlands,
Most of the pegs were taken along the bank I was going to fish.
I got on the first peg in a corner .
Set the Garbolino maxim feeder rod up coupled with a shimano 4000DL baitrunner line
20210329_125512.jpg
was trusty Maxima to a n gauge hook length with a 14 guru hook and quick stop.
Bait for the feeder was soaked 2mm pellets and sweetcorn, and soaked 2mm pellets and Ringers 10mm chocolate orange boilie.
After a few casts to the island at 40 yards with the boilie and nothing doing,I came short and tried sweetcorn on the hook, again nothing doing.
So set the margin pole up , I had primed the margins with red maggot over 2mm pellets to my left and 2mm pellets and liquidized bread to my right.Depthe in these margins was 6' to my left and 5' to my right.
In with the bomb rod and out with left hand margin kit, both kits were set up with 4 x 14 floats shorted with small bulk and a couple of droppers,line was 4lbs N gauge straight through to a 16 guru hook.Elastic was 14/16 on left margin and 16 on right, both elastics were solids.
I baited up with 5 red maggots on the hook to fish a foot off the bottom .
After 10 minutes there was a slight dip on the float, I lifted into it and a few seconds of thinking I had hooked a bream,the elastic shot out of the pole, i broke down to topkit and played the fish on side puller, After a few minutes a 10lb carp was netted.
Back in with red maggots but a few feet away from where I caught the carp.
A sail away bite resulted in the elastic streaming out, so again down to topkit and played on side puller.
This one weighed in at 12lb, I asked a brassed off carp angler to weigh them for me ?. I had photo taken with this one, All he had caught was a bream of 3lbs up against the island.
Rested the swim and tried right hand margin, but nothing was doing.
So decided to call it a day after 4 hours fishing,
Word on the bank was that my 2 carp and his bream were the only fish caught as I was leaving.There was only me fishing a margin pole, everyone else was casting to the island.
20210329_133459.jpg
20210329_133517.jpg
20210329_133531.jpg

20210329_125512.jpg

View of peg, and view to the island 40 yards away and me with the fish. ?

mikench

Reaction score
In the morning thread I alluded to the next instalment of " Gordon and Mike go fishing" occurring today. Markcw , wag that he is, thought we should be called Whitehouse and Mortimer which would be praise indeed and undeserved. Gordon thought Laurel and Hardy was more apt. Well we went and had some fun.

IMG_9582.JPG

I chose this peg which was a mistake as I was facing into a gale all day. Gordon wisely sat behind me as the lake is like a horseshoe. I set up a float rod , a size 20 hook and impaled a couple of maggots and cast in just to check it out. Another pal turned up and we chatted about a few things when my rod was pulled off its rest and a tussle ensued with a nice mirror of about 6lb.

IMG_9580.JPG

That was as good as it got with nothing else of any size just small roach. Gordon had 2 super mirrors around the same size and dozens of roach. The weather improved as the day wore on but the gale was incessant. It was a thoroughly enjoyable day so thanks Gordon: I think we both had missed our little excursions.

wetthrough

Reaction score
Enjoyed getting back out with Mike again today. As Mike has said it was blowing a gale and certainly didn't feel like the forecast 15 degrees. Mike definitely drew the short straw having both the wind and light against him. Nice way to get back into the swing of things. The nicest of three Mirrors on 3.3lb FC to18s. First went to maggot the other two to bread. plus lots of small Roach to various baits. They took everything I had except corn.

TH_Mirror_20210329_092738.jpg

Thanks again for the company Mike.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
How did I get on ? I ended up in A and E having a size 20 hook removed from between my thumb and index finger. Thought I'd de-barbed the little f****er too ...

Not as bad as last time , when I had to present myself in studded waders and wading jacket, being unable to remove same due to having large treble on a yellow Rapala embedded in my index finger knuckle . The medical staff tried so very hard not to giggle at my plight - but failed obviously . I thought I'd de-barbed that one too.
Ouch. I know this can really hurt.

bullet

Reaction score
How did I get on ? I ended up in A and E having a size 20 hook removed from between my thumb and index finger. Thought I'd de-barbed the little f****er too ...

Not as bad as last time , when I had to present myself in studded waders and wading jacket, being unable to remove same due to having large treble on a yellow Rapala embedded in my index finger knuckle . The medical staff tried so very hard not to giggle at my plight - but failed obviously . I thought I'd de-barbed that one too.

Size 20? Surely you'd just pull that out and carry on? I thought Yorkshire folk were tough...?

Philip

Reaction score
They disappeared there mid 90s. Used to get some cracking match weights of them especially along the canal bank. Mostly only up to 6oz but would get a few well over the pound early season. Record was open at the time at 1 8 I think but nobody bothered

Well apart from Dennis Flack ....from memory didnt he basically stock a pond in his back garden with mini species including Siliver Bream & then claim a load of records ? ...someone with Google will correct me I imagine as thats off the top of my head :)

John Aston

Reaction score
Size 20? Surely you'd just pull that out and carry on? I thought Yorkshire folk were tough...?
We're not all knuckle dragging macho men tha knows ... I did give it a yank with the artery forceps but all that produced was a pathetic whimpering from me and a better hook hold for Mr Drennan's finest

seth49

Reaction score
Well it was a loverly sunny day, even got a bit of a tan, as far as catching anything it was rubbish, never had a bite all day, the fish we could see were all cruising around in the sunshine, a couple who were practicing for Sunday’s match did catch some on pinkies fished on fine tackle, but that was it.

mikench

Reaction score
Well as today promised more warmth and sunshine I ventured forth once more in my perennial search for tench . I went to the spooky place and had it to myself most of the morning.

IMG_9593.JPG

I knew this end of the pool gave me deep margins and 10' of water 2 rod lengths out.i set up the Tryptich rod on a buzzer with an open feeder filled with GB and with corn on the hair. I alternated with meat, curried chickpea, pellet and boilies but to no avail all day. It was fortunate I also set up the Acolyte plus with a TDM reel and started with a couple of maggots on a 20 hook after plumbing up( I can do it Gordon if bothered) and had a take immediately. This was the result.

IMG_9597.JPG

A perfect tench around 4.5lb and my first of 2021. Two more followed in the morning interspersed with small roach and perch to 8oz. I then had this on a 14 hook and again on maggot.

IMG_9594.JPG

I knew it was a bigger fish and so it proved tipping the scales, metaphorically speaking at 6lb 9 oz. To say I was thrilled is an understatement. The spooky place is now my favourite place. I had 23 fish altogether and only packed up because I was in the full glare of the sun and roasting. Today was good and my choice of venue and tackle vindicated.

mikench

Reaction score
It is Ian . They stocked it with 34 tench from 4lb to 8lb and plan to add 400 roach from 12oz up. I reckon those I caught today were those recently stocked but I'm happy either way.

ian g

Reaction score
It's nice to see some tench being stocked Mike . I caught a few years back on their place near Shrewsbury . When I first joined they had a farm reservoir a couple of miles from my house which had some lovely tench in it , no record breakers but most where between 4 & 6 lb . sadly due to issues with access they let it go . It was a funny place , a raised reservoir rather than dug out so you were sitting on top of a bank about 20 feet up . The windy always seemed cold but the views were great . I used to test my winter gear out there in August:(

no-one in particular

Reaction score
A cancelled appointment, the last day of my membership of the one and only club I have joined and the nice weather prompted an impromptu fishing trip. I couldn't go to the lake I wanted because the club are keeping it closed, in fact they only had one lake open so we went there. Took my mate who has not been fishing before who wanted to give it a try so I phoned the number on the club card and he said just this once I could take my mate as a guest. He said no one should be there as it wasn't fishing well which as it turned out, the former comment wasn't true, it was packed. I am not used to fishing like that but just as we arrived a bloke in the next swim landed a 8lb carp.
So we set up in one of the available swims just of a point, it turns out my mate doesn't think he will take to it, it didn't help he was more cack-handed than me (he could take up bodging, be a natural:)) but he is 75 and we never had a sausage not even a tremor of the floats all afternoon and no one else caught a thing as well, that carp was the only fish caught.
We tried bread, sweetcorn and corn-beef as I couldn't get any luncheon meat in the little shop we stopped over so, I thought I would give it a try; it is far too soft but we did manage to get a few lumps to stay on the hook.
Still, not a bad little lake and we enjoyed being out for the first time in ages enjoying the sun. Not many birds about, a couple of Yellow-Hammers and the obligatory crow and wood pigeon. If I do re-join this club I don't think I will go there again, too small and too many anglers and although a nice drive out in the countryside a bit far.
100_0755.JPG

Last edited: