How did you get on?

Reaction score
I hope they give you continued success Mike,though probably not,lol....if i'm anything to go by...

mikench

Reaction score
They do smell nice though Alan. Apart from the days when you only catch on maggot, I have never caught as many fish on the same hook bait . I'll try them on the float next time and might get some 6mm. Thanks for the recommendation.??

Reaction score
As I said on another thread(I think),I tend to fish on a different tack to you,I would probably feed pellet,fish expanders,hard pellet,corn,meat and bread(or any of the last three),without feeding any of the last three,obviously that is on waters that hold,carp,bream,tench,crucians etc,also I try to be minimalistic with the feed,six to ten pellets a cast,obviously on the float cos thats my bag...then if it doesn't work,I accept the failure and take the hit,but I do enjoy trying to make it work :)

rayner

Reaction score
Paste again, plenty of fish from carp, F1s, chub and skimmers. A very busy day, it was cooler turning to quite cold with the drizzle that got a little heavier by the time I went home. A nice day in spite of the weather. I am struggling to get a full day in, I stopped fishing around 2 pm.

john step

Reaction score
Sat on the pit yesterday hoping for a tench. No tench but if I had a pound for every skimmer bite I would be a millionaire!
This evening no fishing but a tidy up of the life belts at the pit. Made sure the vegetation was cut back and all visible so to comply with the insurance.
First river trip tomorrow.

Notts Michael.

Reaction score
My new Darent Valley 8FT Quiver rod arrived this morning at my workplace from The Tackle Box in Kent, and as I had booked the afternoon off as my 2nd vaccine jab was booked, I had about 2 hrs free after lunchtime to dash to the nearby stocked, disused canal stretch which I have a ticket for, to give the rod a quick try out ,not really the type of venue I got the rod for but it would be a convenient place to give it a go in a short time window. after priming a couple of likely looking spots with a few maggots thrown in regularly, I chucked out a 1/4oz lead, 1ft hooklength 2 maggots on a size 16, and the tip was soon pulling around as a small Tench of around 2lb 'christened' the new rod.
Tried the other primed spot and 20mins later a Bream of around 2 1/2lb came to the landing net. after a chuck to the far bank with a piece of corn on, something much more powerful started to tear off towards snags, and left me hooked in lily stems (how do they do that?) pulled for a break and the 5lb hooklink twanged free, my time was getting short, so I departed happy with the rod, and ready to give it a longer test later this week.

Pete Shears

Reaction score
Early start on the ocal canal feeder reservoir this morning and found a strong,cold N wind blowing off the dam towards the shallows, reminded me of Aprils weather. Set up two method feeder rods for tench and soon had the spod rod with 50bs braid and a doctored sea gripper lead in action hauling weed out.That took over 30 mins to clear two spots.Out with the baits and watch a red kite circling over the water. Managed two roach about 6oz apiece, no tench but sat back and watched reed buntings flying back and forth and a pair of bullfinches as well as the noisiest bird for its size, a wren.

Notts Michael.

Reaction score
Early start on the ocal canal feeder reservoir this morning and found a strong,cold N wind blowing off the dam towards the shallows, reminded me of Aprils weather. Set up two method feeder rods for tench and soon had the spod rod with 50bs braid and a doctored sea gripper lead in action hauling weed out.That took over 30 mins to clear two spots.Out with the baits and watch a red kite circling over the water. Managed two roach about 6oz apiece, no tench but sat back and watched reed buntings flying back and forth and a pair of bullfinches as well as the noisiest bird for its size, a wren.
Always nice to see and hear visiting warblers and buntings in summer. plenty of dragonflies and damselflies about lately too.

seth49

Reaction score
Bit of a disaster yesterday to be honest, a chap pitched up in the next swim, was noisy and fed far to much bait in, the chances of the carp etc travelling down that margin as usual were spoilt.

I’d already been fishing for two hours when he arrived, so didn’t want to move, wish I had, this peg which is my favourite was spoilt by his behaviour, I did get one small carp and a few tench and silvers, but nothing like I should have caught from here, I did tell him what he had done as I went home thoroughly pxxxxd off.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
First day without a howling wind and torrential rain for quite sometime. I had plenty of domestics to do but had a two hour slot and headed down to the beach travelling light.

82938D0C-9172-462A-97A8-B9624E488ECD.jpeg

The May rot is keeping anglers away, to lure fish or chuck out a lead is an impossibility. I reckoned a carefully placed float might be the solution.

12E47E50-C469-4BEE-8971-3EEA5C696E5C.jpeg

Spent half an hour finding some bait, live prawns which seemed to enjoy their new home, the cooler box I recently reviewed is just the ticket.

956CA75A-B486-4C4A-B348-5FF72EA0B5EA.jpeg

could only find some really small ones, impaled three on a small size1/0 Aberdeen hook, they were all kicking and clicking nicely, surely no bass could resist!

But it was evident within minutes that the weed was just too bad with my slack line attracting large clumps of the stuff, the remaining prawns went back to fight another day. I hope this isn't a repeat of last summer when the weed was evident for months.

85EF0D0C-36D1-4B23-8E09-5C4537507035.jpeg

Might head further south to the English Channel on Friday in hope that's a bit clearer.

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
First river trip today. Its a slow fen river and I was hoping for one of the wild unstocked tench. It was very hot and the water was gin clear so no tench.
None have been coming out and the shoals of bream have not materialised according to the bailiff.
I made do with a net of skimmers on the pole. Even they were fussy. They ignored just about everything except white maggot.

Sean89

Reaction score
Fished for 3 hours after work on the river Ouse in Bedford. This is a new stretch that I want to try out this season so hoping for better. 1 bite 1 Bream on Treble red on the feeder

Attachments

• 1FCFC357-5FF9-4932-83CD-C284C86DD4EE.jpeg
    1FCFC357-5FF9-4932-83CD-C284C86DD4EE.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 65
  • 0BA75011-94B9-43FD-B0E9-8D6C024B687F.jpeg
    0BA75011-94B9-43FD-B0E9-8D6C024B687F.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 65
  • 8B488CB7-989C-469D-B956-B3F1D6C95194.jpeg
    8B488CB7-989C-469D-B956-B3F1D6C95194.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 62

mikench

Reaction score
Yesterday was Percy Perch day. I had nothing on the feeder and 21 of the little blighters on float fished maggot. Just one was a marginal netter/ swinger but none were tiddlers. It was good fun though and whilst cool, remained dry. Different venue different day but the cell pellets failed to work their magic of the other day. I shall try them again tomorrow when the dynamic duo set forth yet again. No roach, no skimmers or any other fish just perch.

bullet

Reaction score
First day without a howling wind and torrential rain for quite sometime. I had plenty of domestics to do but had a two hour slot and headed down to the beach travelling light.

View attachment 15668

The May rot is keeping anglers away, to lure fish or chuck out a lead is an impossibility. I reckoned a carefully placed float might be the solution.

View attachment 15669

Spent half an hour finding some bait, live prawns which seemed to enjoy their new home, the cooler box I recently reviewed is just the ticket.

View attachment 15670

could only find some really small ones, impaled three on a small size1/0 Aberdeen hook, they were all kicking and clicking nicely, surely no bass could resist!

But it was evident within minutes that the weed was just too bad with my slack line attracting large clumps of the stuff, the remaining prawns went back to fight another day. I hope this isn't a repeat of last summer when the weed was evident for months.

View attachment 15673

Might head further south to the English Channel on Friday in hope that's a bit clearer.

Commiserations, weed is a nightmare.
Sea fishing is the worst, imo, for something being wrong.....too rough/calm, too windy, too much weed, too clear/murky, wrong tides, great conditions can't find bait etc.etc.
Having said all that I'm looking forward to a trip to the coast soon, as haven't got down there this year so far!

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Commiserations, weed is a nightmare.
Sea fishing is the worst, imo, for something being wrong.....too rough/calm, too windy, too much weed, too clear/murky, wrong tides, great conditions can't find bait etc.etc.
Having said all that I'm looking forward to a trip to the coast soon, as haven't got down there this year so far!

you're not wrong there, and when the conditions are spot on I'm most probably fishing it all wrong as a newbie!

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I wasn’t really feeling it but I got up early anyway and mooched off to Godalming. I got very excited when one of my favourite spots on the members only lake was vacant….only to find that the reason it was free is because the lake is choked with weed. This happens every year but it’s usually all gone by end July. I’ve never seen it this bad before.
So…..I ended up on Marsh Farm with all the other members who couldn’t get on the members lake. Busy doesn’t really get close but I found a spot which for some reason I couldn’t settle in so moved. It was very, very bright and that’s usually the kiss of death down there and so it proved. No sign of fish bubbling or rolling and I never had a touch in the margins.
I had two bites around 9 am. The first an unremarkable but very feisty male tench of about 2-8 and the second a very handsome crucian of 1-12 which I was convinced was 2lb plus…..and that was it. It clouded over around 11-30 so I thought I’d best see if that might prompt one or two to have a peck but they didn’t. I fished until 1-30 then gave it up as a bad job.

Attachments

• A0A96CEC-06AA-436E-9324-6122067EFAA9.jpeg
    A0A96CEC-06AA-436E-9324-6122067EFAA9.jpeg
    5.8 MB · Views: 53
Last edited:

seth49

Reaction score
Back on our usual club water again, it’s the only one that’s not fishing to bad at the moment, most of our waters are not doing much at all just now, usual setup tip rod in margin with method feeder on alarm, and rigged my pole up with to two top kits, one for open water in front for tench and silvers, and one for the margin for later.

Fed some ground bait and fished over that with expanders, although worm proved to be best later, over chopped worm with a small pot of dampened 2mm pellets, started with small roach and skimmers, before the first patch of bubbles appeared from a tench, I caught these at intervals through the day, I caught seven in total plus two F1s, plus more roach and skimmers.

Neil and mick packed up at 4 pm, I decided to stay till 6 and see if the carp would come into the margins as usual, around five I had a screaming run from the feeder rod, picked the rod and turned the bait runner off, and the braid snapped like cotton, when I reeled in there was a small loop knot in the braid which had weakened the line, felt like a good fish too.

Before this I’d had a scaly mirror coming into the pellets in the margin, looked a decent fish to well into double figures, it was very wary, it spooked of mussel and prawn so I tried a couple of small worms which it took, gave me a good scrap on the pole before the hook pulled, not been my week this week, but I’ll be back next week.
FBF33C64-B196-4883-B9D9-2A65CC04D08C.jpeg

chevin4

Reaction score
Went to a popular club water yesterday the first time I have visited there since a pike fishing session back in 2014. Since the water is deep in the margins it lends itself to float fishing for tench. Since the swim was 10ft a few rod lengths out and my chosen swim was clear of overhead vegetation I elected
20210624_162653.jpg
to use my 15ft Harrison float rod. I caught plenty of rudd on corn and small perch on lobs and dedrabenas clearly a different approach was called for and I elected to fish the lift method with the bait on the bottom. I was still getting plagued by small stuff so I put on a small 12mm boilie the float buried I initially thought it was the big tench I was after but after a long scrap on 6lb line the culprit turned out to be a nice looking common of 17lb 2oz