How did you get on?

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Last Tuesday 12 of us fished our match on the GUC at Marsworth. Usually a good venue and even on a bad day a good net full of gudgeon is on the cards.

E42A50D0-8709-4247-BFA3-EDEFE015063D.jpeg
8CA350A0-01E1-4267-862C-19A87CF56FAB.jpeg

However, this was an unusual day and quite baffling for regular visitors. There was no sign of bleak topping or any other fish activity and 7 out of 12 didn’t even get a bite? Winner had 4 small fish for 5oz! 2nd 4oz and third 3oz…
Today I fancied some moving water so set off for Windsor with a 15’ ultralight rod, 5bb stick float with Olivette and 2 droppers trotting down in 9’ of water with hemp, caster and maggot.. The sun was quite hot as the morning wore on, the roach were not really having it and the bleak were a pain in the arse.
Enjoyed being out and catching a few nevertheless…

32FF7957-C604-4B19-AE03-5F66C90AB19C.jpeg
597ACAD0-46FF-4CC3-BD6F-D820EFD3D4F4.jpeg

Reaction score
Bloody glad they don't follow me,horrible things,give me a few bream any day...

mikench

Reaction score
Well today was one of those very satisfying days. Not a red letter, no pb fish and no large specimens in the main. It even drizzled for about 2 hours but were we dismayed? Not a bit of it.

IMG_0212.JPG

Gordon had a good day and after losing a few carp he managed one. Ever willing to experiment with bait Gordon tried butternut squash and had a lot of interest. I think he had a couple and would have had more with a bigger hook or a hair rig.I gave Gordon some Mainline Cell 6mm expander to try and we both had a few roach which took a fancy to it. I had 40 roach between 4 and 8 oz and 2 nice mirrors around 8lb.

IMG_0209.JPG

We both really enjoyed just catching fish, sat under our brollies for a while and having a good chat.we like this little pool and it seldom disappoints. Float fishing with a small hook and maggots is perhaps a bit boring but today we were happy to be out and catching. My carp were caught on the feeder and I missed a few for some reason. Cheers Gordon I really enjoyed it.

john step

Reaction score
A peaceful 24 hour stint at my club lake. I was the only fool there in the constant rain. The tench were having it at last and several graced my landing net.
The cold pizza and baked beans were tastier than it sounds. Lots of tea. The new stove is quicker than the electric kettle at home.
Best tench was this male at 5lb 3ozs.
Now bathed and clean at home and being waited on by my sandwich maker.

tommos16

Reaction score
Afternoon all. Firstly, apologies for the lack of a mat, I was roach fishing. However, I was looking for a bit of help on a Species ID please?

Landed from the Leeds Liverpool canal in Wigan on maggots, went just over 3lb, I guess its a Rudd Hybrid of some sort? Certainly a nice surprise on a slow day of fishing with this sun, fell to a single maggot on a size 20 hook!
IMG_20210626_150131.jpg
IMG_20210626_150136.jpg

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

tommos16

Reaction score
Ide say im very pleased with that, are they common to catch in northern canals? Any silver fish that isn't a bream and goes 3lb will do my very nicely! Fought like a demon as well

jon atkinson

Reaction score
Well today was one of those very satisfying days. Not a red letter, no pb fish and no large specimens in the main. It even drizzled for about 2 hours but were we dismayed? Not a bit of it.

View attachment 15726

Gordon had a good day and after losing a few carp he managed one. Ever willing to experiment with bait Gordon tried butternut squash and had a lot of interest. I think he had a couple and would have had more with a bigger hook or a hair rig.I gave Gordon some Mainline Cell 6mm expander to try and we both had a few roach which took a fancy to it. I had 40 roach between 4 and 8 oz and 2 nice mirrors around 8lb.

View attachment 15727
We both really enjoyed just catching fish, sat under our brollies for a while and having a good chat.we like this little pool and it seldom disappoints. Float fishing with a small hook and maggots is perhaps a bit boring but today we were happy to be out and catching. My carp were caught on the feeder and I missed a few for some reason. Cheers Gordon I really enjoyed it.
That looks a lovely spot mike but how high from the water is Gordon on that peg? It might be a deceptive angle but it looks like quite a drop...

Hugh Bailey

Reaction score
Ide say im very pleased with that, are they common to catch in northern canals? Any silver fish that isn't a bream and goes 3lb will do my very nicely! Fought like a demon as well

Are they even native to the UK? I’m pretty sure they weren’t in my bible of fish from the mid 60s (can’t remember the name but was a hardback like A5 sized with a page per species with a photo and. haunts, methods and record weights etc.)

The Sogster

Reaction score
Went yesterday afternoon for an overnight session on the mighty (popular) River Trent.

This was my first trip for a few years since I regularly used to fish at Church Laneham.
My pal had organised the trip and I thought we were going to a non tidal section however I must have misheard because we ended up at Collingham which is of course tidal.

I hadn't bothered to pack any super heavy rods or feeders, and just had my Drennan medium feeder, 14ft ultralight and a 1.5lb test curve avon rod.
The heaviest feeder I had with me was 40g. Bait was maggots, hemp, pellets (3mm) and corn.

I'd never fished this stretch before and was surprised by how close the pegs were to each other, and how full. There were nary any left when we arrived at about noon.
I'd intended to concentrate on the stick float or waggler but with anglers either side the longest trot available was about ten yards into rapidly diminishing water as the tide went out. So gave up on that idea.

It was obvious every other angler were after big barbel and what an eye opener this style of fishing was to me. I'd read about it but never seen it in person.
I've seen less kit at Everest base camp, definitely put my old Sundridge Apex brolly to shame.
The standard method seemed to be spod/ spomb for twenty minutes then hoof out a 6oz feeder to the far bank.
It sounded like I was surrounded by people lobbing bricks off bridges.

Not having the tackle for this I set up the feeder rod and concentrated on the edge of the deep water drop off about 40 yards out. Fishing maggot feeder I soon had a steady catch of dace, chublets and roach between 4oz and 8oz.
Meanwhile I set up my avon rod with a groundbait feeder filled with corn and pellets, and alternated between this and the feeder rod.

Fished until about 1am before reeling in for a quick snooze before starting again at 4am.
Fished the same methods for plenty more dace and chublets before packing up at around 9am.

The Runner

Reaction score
First time out up here for three weeks ; decided on a trip across to Ullinish on Loch Bracadale to see if the mackerel had arrived yet and if they had, whether anything interesting had followed them.
Half mile walk across boggy fields to find four anglers already there which was a/ unusual and b/ unexpected, as nothing in the usual small parking spot when I arrived; apparently they were up here for a week in two campervans which they had left in the layby on the main road...So that was the two ledges at the deeper end of the point taken, and I walked back 100 yards to the shallower and weedier end. Still a decent depth, 5oz lead taking about 8 seconds to hit bottom at 80 yards. Had set up the usual running ledger with 4ft trace and mackerel strip but soon became apparent that there was a nasty ledge or reef about 30 yards out which I hit on the retrieve on my first three casts. Got the rig back every time but didn't fancy my chances with a decent fish on especially as would only get harder to clear it as the tide dropped so moved halfway back towards the other anglers onto some low weedy rocks which the tide had just exposed. Had a couple of experimental casts with no bait on to check for any problems but all clear apart from about 5 yards of kelp in the edge. So out with the mackie strip on a 2/0, five minute wait and a good pull round resulting in a dogfish. Which was obviously part of a pack as next seven casts produced four more and three missed bites (two the usual doggie's slow pullround and one succession of sharp rattles which could have been anything).
This was probably the biggest of the dogs, rest all much of a muchness
Ullinish 26 6 2.jpeg

Bites dried up as soon as the tide slowed down, set up spinning rod to see if could find any mackerel to top up the freezer (could see that the other anglers were taking it in turns to have 20 minutes spinning but had only found a couple of small ones) but nothing apart from a couple of 4 inch pollack. Tide turned and added another dogfish but then, as has happened here before, the rising tide woke the crabs up and bait was often getting stripped,
Did try to get the rod positioned so that I could use the Cuillin Ridge as a target board but couldn't get the angle...
ullinish 26 6 4.jpeg

Other anglers packed in at about half tide up- had only had I think three doggies between them although to be fair one of them spent most of his time fishing a whole mackerel (live under a washing up liquid bottle float at one point..). The mark has a historical reputation for big spurdog and the very occasional tope but I've seen or heard of neither from it in my three years here.
Was about to be flooded off my rocks so moved to where they had been, where its about 10 to 15 ft deeper. Gave it another two hours for dogfish no.7 of the day and finally a lone mackerel on a small dexter wedge.

One thing about this sea fishing lark- the "nuisance fish" are far more acceptable. I'll take a pound plus dogfish over a bleak anyday....

A bit of wildlife about ; the inevitable Ravens on the walk in, a couple of Red Breasted Mergansers flew past , a few gannets about, one of which dived dramatically for something about 25 yards out from me. and a lone Black Guillemot, well away from the North End where I usually see them

mikench

Reaction score
Jon the pool water level drops, often alarmingly, in the dry summer months due to the water table. We were at least 3’ to 4'above the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: