How did you get on?

seth49

Reaction score
Back on last weeks pond again, it was good fishing and we fancied fishing it again, just one rod allowed on here which is fine, it’s not big enough for multiple rods, tried float rod and pin by the lilies again, fishing worm over groundbait and chopped worm, I was on early at 5.30 am to see if it was any good early, on yesterday’s performance no, didn’t have a bite in the first couple of hours.

So I swapped to my pole in the same swim, and had a small carp right away, and then caught a mixture of fish Including a golden tench and a crucian, some nice tench also up to just over a pound, which fought well, later on in the afternoon I saw signs of carp in the margin, so swapped back to the float rod.

Had a bite of one after a while which headed for the far side of the pond, and then turned back and dived straight into the lilies so that one won, got everything back though, another later did the same, lost the hook in that one, and had a hook pulled on another.

By now it had started to rain and it had been a long day as it was now 5.30 pm, still I only fish two days a week so I make the best of them, total catch was four carp, six tench, one crucian, one ide, and several roach and skimmers, it’s a nice spot and enjoy fishing here, and happily my camera is working fine after falling in the water last week, five days in rice has dried it out, and it’s working fine again.
A319380B-DC66-4F6D-AB3D-C44CCA3D7E5A.jpeg
9D4B869C-DC65-43D5-8268-62221FDF28B8.jpeg
876163D9-D18D-4975-9AB4-15C6A33B2155.jpeg
FB7909DA-77FB-4A90-95C4-17A7169D6F36.jpeg

Last edited:

silvers

Reaction score
Belated report of my last outing ... again the Warks Avon at Barford, this time for the first round of the team summer league. This used to be a winter league ... but has migrated earlier and earlier over the years to avoid the perceived problem of cormorants herding the fish above the weir In to pockets.
This league consists of 6 anglers per team, with three above the weir and three below. It’s generally fished for fun, although the top teams take it more seriously (Cadence superteam, sensas manor angling etc).
I’m one of the three anglers below the weir, and I was allocated to E section, which includes some fliers (don’t they all?).
The river has entered its “summer sulk” mood, where double figures would be a good catch ... exacerbated by the exceptional hot temperatures and lack of rain (told you it was a belated report).
I drew peg 81, which hasn’t been used much in recent seasons, but threw up a chub weight on day one of the recent festival... when there was a foot or two of extra water in the venue. It’s an awkward peg to fish as the flow comes towards you and coupled with a downstream and in your face breeze made for a frustrating day with plenty of missed bites from roach and tiny dace.
I kicked off by feeding hemp & caster lightly on two lines, one at two rods and the other tight across to some stick ups.
I caught a few bits and bobs, and got bites on hemp almost immediately (this is the only sure method to avoid the tiny dace that are very prevalent). I even caught two perch on hemp!!! But the roach were still few and far between and it was getting really hot by now after an 11am start.
with the water clarity and sun position I spotted a chub mooching around over the far bank line, so upped the feed slightly. Suddenly there ten or a dozen of them ... just milling around, picking off baits but not feeding avidly. i tried to alter the feed so they’d start feeding more confidently ... but they just continued to mill around. So I picked up the waggler and caught one almost immediately. After that I only saw the odd fish ... but hooked 3 more. Sad to report that I managed to lose two of them in the stick ups ... one on the pole and one on the waggler. It left me VERY frustrated, as it’s not often that I can’t catch chub that I get up in the water.
My eventual total of 11 pounds and twelve ounces was good enough for second in section. As a team we also ended up second, by one point from Cadence superteam, which is a great start to the league for us. A week and a half on and I’m still feeling gutted about those lost fish!

anyway ... i need some more variety in venues now ... so will be attending Blunham’s open on the Great Ouse on sunday!

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
With the wind direction changing from a northerly to a southwest I fancied my chances down at the local beach hoping it had blown the weed far out of reach and brought a bit of clarity to the water.

It certainly had done that but it was blowing a gale, not wanting any wind knots in my stupidly expensive braid I thought better of it and took a pew on top of Tankerton slopes and admired the view, Sheppey looks quite attractive...........from a distance.

Hopefully the winds will maintain an offshore direction but slightly less strong over the coming days with some early morning high tides.....lures at the ready!

B5CFF109-C577-42E3-84EB-9A54A81C7A3F.jpeg

hooferinsane

Reaction score
I tried Danson Park in Bexleyheath today which is a public lake.I did just walk round yesterday and spoke to a few anglers before I went today. I did expect it to be crowded with kids as it is now summer break, but it was surprisingly quiet. It’s a very weedy venue but I had virtually a fish a cast of rudd and roach, largest fish was a rudd of about 6 inches in length. Good entertainment though. Lost what I assume was one of the carp near to the end, was only on a 16 hook. Interestly I don’t know if any of you follow the TA fishing show on Youtube, but I tried his alternative groundbait of Baileys horse feed and bran, in a 2:1 ratio (plus any other bits you might add to it) and it seemed to work well

Pete Shears

Reaction score
Another early morning stroll along the GUC with the light spinning gear landing another half dozen palm sized perch, all in perfect nick, no pike.
Very weedy and some banks unfishable for 100 yards or more with massive reed beds alongside the towpath but the blackthorn resembled vines with all the sloes ripening ready for the gin in October.

Reaction score
After such a great day Tuesday,yesterday and last night my back was killing me,so my possible day out today is off,maybe Saturday....

flightliner

Reaction score
Well, come hell or hi water I'm going in the morning Alan.
But for a couple of hours last week its been two weeks since I wet a line!
I had another day fishing a lincolnshire water yesterday for roach and rudd, it's turned some biggies up in the past so I was hoping for a result of sorts.
The weather was promising thunder and on starting the wind was awkward and unusually bites that are normally bold and plentiful were still plentiful but more on the edgy side so lots of missed ones.
Float fished pellets were my bait of choice and bites came regularly.
All ok until 1pm when distant thunder announced a change, it came soon after, on and off downpours and a skeeting wind hampered efficiant angling that was frustrating.
During these periods it was harder to maintian efficiant angling and tho I was was still taking some nice fish but my tally fell far short of my last 55 fish total on my last trip but it was still enjoyable as ever
Best roach and rudd were both on the half pound mark.

john step

Reaction score
I had another day fishing a lincolnshire water yesterday for roach and rudd, it's turned some biggies up in the past so I was hoping for a result of sorts.
The weather was promising thunder and on starting the wind was awkward and unusually bites that are normally bold and plentiful were still plentiful but more on the edgy side so lots of missed ones.
Float fished pellets were my bait of choice and bites came regularly.
All ok until 1pm when distant thunder announced a change, it came soon after, on and off downpours and a skeeting wind hampered efficiant angling that was frustrating.
During these periods it was harder to maintian efficiant angling and tho I was was still taking some nice fish but my tally fell far short of my last 55 fish total on my last trip but it was still enjoyable as ever
Best roach and rudd were both on the half pound mark.
Was that the showground?

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I had an afternoon on the Eden in Kent yesterday. There was a couple of guys loading their pick up when I arrived in the car park. I asked how they had done and one had blanked the other had a few bleak. Not what I wanted to hear. The wind was gusting hard downstream so float fishing was quite difficult. I tried a swim just off a weir pool, introducing some fairly large pellets in the slacker water. It was the first outing for my new 8ft quiver rod. I had a few fish but of no size so moved to a new swim.
b891b8b68c327562f5bafd10a45869c2.jpg

This looked good and I’ve had some decent fish from here previously. Not today though. I had plenty of small fish so the stocks should grow on well. I packed up just before dark. When I got back to the car park one of the members stopped me for a chat. He had a camera set up on a large tripod and said that he was trying to get some photos of a barn owl as it quartered the field. Photography is another hobby of mine, so I took a look at the camera he was using which was a Nikon p1000, I had never seen one before and it was quite an unusual camera, being physically larger than most. The thing had a zoom range of 34mm to 3000mm or 125x zoom. This is optical zoom, it has a digital zoom which doubles this. A photo of the full moon totally fills the frame. It looked great for astronomy or bird watching but the only way it would fit in your pocket is if you worked as a clown.

The little quiver rod worked a treat and was ideal where there was limited casting room. I would definitely recommend it. Fifty quid well spent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pete Shears

Reaction score
Watching an osprey just after 6am this morning at the bigger reservoir. A strong westerly breeze rippling the surface, I am amazed these birds can see through it to locate their prey.
Two feeder rods set up,sat back with a coffee,three other anglers on the far bank in bivvies and one further up on my side then the bites started -
lost count at 50 bream between 1 & 4lb, all fighting well, some silvery,others olive, grey fins ,some black and the roach fin perfect.
Between bites was kept entertained by the sailing club members in two sorts of dinghies and paddleboards - all battling with the strong ,gusting breeze. By 11am had had enough ,making plans now for Saturday.

Another Dave

Reaction score
8th July

I just had time for a few casts before work so out came the 8ft Darent Valley tackled up with 6lb braid and my favourite mini floating plug. I'd gone upstream into the countryside and the swim I had in mind looked perfect so I was a bit miffed when nothing followed on the first two casts down. Then I had a brainwave which was to retrieve the lure slowly so it barely did any diving, more like a bit insect scuttling across the surface. Sure enough, a lovely 2 pounder was soon scrapping away. That was enough for me and I called it a day.

canchubplug.jpg

rayner

Reaction score
Day one, Talkin Tarn. We chose not a good swim and passed a couple of decent-looking swims occupied by pike anglers. The swim we settled in was not ideal, looked far too shallow but to tell the truth I had reached my level of endurance. I had no appetite to go any further.
The target for the afternoon was to teach my son in law Dave to cast and the slowest retrieve he could manage with a jig head.
Eventually, he did manage to cast with some proficiency after he struggled with his timing on the cast. He was also able to get a little decent action to his lures. Fish we caught = zero. He was happy and said he felt like he had learnt a lot. For the first time using a rod and line I thought he did well enough.
Day two Winns lake, we really knew nothing of this water. We did know it held tench and bream plus some big carp.
Locals we were told used corn for the tench, so a couple of tins and a loaf was our baits. Dave had his casting down so I expected at least a few hours fishing. We had the combination for the lock, all we had to do was to post the ticket money at the owners home then enter the fishery.
The car park right by the water gave us a view of the lake, first thoughts were how weedy the water was with the surface all but covered in weed.
The two pegs at the car park were the two we would fish, at least the surface was clear. We had nothing we could use to drag a couple of swims and decided we should try to fish. We had paid for our tickets.
I checked the two swims, the swim that looked the clearest I told Dave to fish there. I had the swim that looked more choked.
I tackled Dave's rod a little feeder rod with a 10grm olivette because the water was very clear I thought fishing too heavy would clear the swim of any fish by crashing in a bomb of any size.
I showed him the best way to hook corn leaving the hook point visible, Dave caught a tench around a pound on his first cast, it was brought to my swim in his landing net so he could get a picture, he was truly made up, he had the bug I could see it in his face.
I was still trying to finish my tackling up he was missing bites.
When I eventually started to fish it was evident my swim was only 24" or so deep, there was a covering of silkweed among patches of watermilfoil.
All the weeds in the water were easy enough to pull a fish through if the fish could find the bait.
I decided to fish flake, the first cast with the 10grm a 12" hooklength went through the silkweed so did my flake. I needed to alter my rig, cast again with an 18" hook length, flake disappeared. That was enough for me.
Dave managed another two tench around 1 1/2 lb he was well chuffed, I blobbed again.
Going to waters blind is not a good idea.
Dave well and truly has the bug, I'm leaving him a selection of tackle he says next week he is going to the tench lake with something to drag out a swim to fish the day after.

Pete Shears

Reaction score
A busy morning on thelocalcanal feeder reservoir. Started off with roach of varying sizes taking any type of anchored wafter/pop up or plastic corn.
Then a pike of about 3lb grabbed the plastic corn. The roach kept coming kept coming on various baits including mini match strawberry boilies and 10mm esterberrys as well as the pop ups. Eventually hit a hard fighting fish on the esterberry, a female tench of 7lb exactly. After a few more roach and a skimmer a male tench of 4lb 1oz grabbed the plastic corn. Ended up with 18 roach ,some had a golden yellow spot on the underside of the throat a detail I have not noticed before.

mikench

Reaction score
I could so easily have not gone fishing today but I'm glad I did. I went to one of my favourites for the first time in 3 weeks.

IMG_0817.JPG

You know the one I say you know the one. I once met that idiot in the ad at Turf Moor. Anyhow back to the thread. I started on the feeder and had a succession of decent( for me) roach and Rudd around the 8oz mark. No toddlers at all in fact nothing on maggot which makes a change.

IMG_0816.JPG

IMG_0819.JPG

I also had half a dozen decent perch all on prawn. Bread was popular particularly the floating variety with 4 common to 9lb.

IMG_0818.JPG

It rained for about an hour but just a drizzle with no wind. I had 39 fish all told and thoroughly enjoyed it. Just 4 people were on the venue all day which suits me fine.