How did you get on?

ian g

Reaction score
I fished a club water yesterday 3 until 8.30 . The place has a reputation for good crucians and some reasonable tench , though the crucians went missing last season . I'm not sure if the accidentally introduced pike which came in with some rudd have taken their toll on the crucian numbers. I just fancied seeing what came a long so started of float fishing with maggots , feeding quite heavily with hemp, maggots and corn . Fairly slow to start with which was unusual as you normally catch loads of little perch on maggots but eventually the roach moved in . I had all my weight near the hook to avoid the little roach on top and managed around 40 through out the session , with around a dozen decent fish around the 3/4 lb mark . There was a large Mayfly hatch towards the end of the session which interested the roach . Not many on and not much coming out though the guy in the peg next to me had a nice tench fishing a pellet feeder to the far side.

Paste paul

Reaction score
Been to Aston park fisheries today...... it was very busy to say the least......
8289A106-28AD-4393-BAAE-3C8D4A4914F8.jpg
Amongst other fish this little beauty turned up

Had a lovely day catching small carp
2AA36F61-7682-4598-8EB1-F79CFA22B0DC.jpg

Got a bit of sun burn though !!!!!

sylvanillo

Reaction score
I got on super well with the long weekend. I mean, I survived to it. Well, those 4 days that the standard citizen calls bank holiday farniente (having been unemployed for 7 months means there's no more difference between work week and weekend!).

On Friday, my usual neck pain got slightly better. So, on Friday I did further exercices, just to end with a sharp pain in the left shoulder. No fishing.

On Sat, having taken a good dosis of ibuprofen I was feeling better. So, I went jogging to ease the neck pain. Normally works but I suddenly had a horrible pain in the left calf, impossible to walk. So, I stopped someone to give a call to my wife so she came for rescue. My new personal ambulance.

On Sunday I decided to cook a tasty satay chicken. But, I sneezed strongly and bumped my head on the extractor and felt so bad.

In the evening, I went to the canal. A bit too early maybe, so I patiently baited a nice looking swim for about 2 hours until dusk, enjoying birdsongs. At 9 pm, a group of youngsters chose to seat 5 meters from me. Half naked girls and drunk boys. I do not understand why in Belgium they have strong beers and I've never seen anyone drunk although even a 16 y.o. boy can biy those beers. But in this country, people need to get drunk with a lot of cheap industrial lager. Anyway, i started the fishing session with so many burps around that I left.

On Monday, no fishing. I had the brilliant idea to take my daughter for a walk near the Thames. Oh no. Looked like a beach. No social distancing. People bumping into us with no consideration. I think I've never smelled so much cannabis in a day.

So today, I've stayed at home.

That's it. Best fishing report of the year!

tommos16

Reaction score
Well, I went to the same fishery today (Claremont on The Wirral) as the 11 carp day, and while I didn't expect lightening to strike twice it was a very quiet day for me and my mate. Just the one, a lovely little Common which I initially thought was a bream (still not 100%, any pointers gladly accepted!). Taken on the float again, right under the rod tip again on a Washter. Seems to be a good little backup plan that can throw up a bonus
40e73b07597c9814da78d0d047ca731e.jpg

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

mikench

Reaction score
I got on super well with the long weekend. I mean, I survived to it. Well, those 4 days that the standard citizen calls bank holiday farniente (having been unemployed for 7 months means there's no more difference between work week and weekend!).

On Friday, my usual neck pain got slightly better. So, on Friday I did further exercices, just to end with a sharp pain in the left shoulder. No fishing.

On Sat, having taken a good dosis of ibuprofen I was feeling better. So, I went jogging to ease the neck pain. Normally works but I suddenly had a horrible pain in the left calf, impossible to walk. So, I stopped someone to give a call to my wife so she came for rescue. My new personal ambulance.

On Sunday I decided to cook a tasty satay chicken. But, I sneezed strongly and bumped my head on the extractor and felt so bad.

In the evening, I went to the canal. A bit too early maybe, so I patiently baited a nice looking swim for about 2 hours until dusk, enjoying birdsongs. At 9 pm, a group of youngsters chose to seat 5 meters from me. Half naked girls and drunk boys. I do not understand why in Belgium they have strong beers and I've never seen anyone drunk although even a 16 y.o. boy can biy those beers. But in this country, people need to get drunk with a lot of cheap industrial lager. Anyway, i started the fishing session with so many burps around that I left.

On Monday, no fishing. I had the brilliant idea to take my daughter for a walk near the Thames. Oh no. Looked like a beach. No social distancing. People bumping into us with no consideration. I think I've never smelled so much cannabis in a day.

So today, I've stayed at home.

That's it. Best fishing report of the year!

It makes depressing reading from both a fishing and cultural perspective. I too don't understand this country and many of its inhabitants. The name GB is a gross misrepresentation.

seth49

Reaction score
Usual early start yesterday, arrived at fishery at five thirty, just before mick arrived, picked a different swim again, just finding my way around here, only my third visit so far.

Mick fished the swim I fished on Tuesday, and asked to borrow my rake to clear some weed from it, so a couple of balls of groundbait in, and fished six mm expander pellets on the float.

First fish was a F1 and then a mixture of species small tench, skimmers, roach, and a couple of Rudd, none of the larger tench I was catching on Tuesday, possibly spawning?, also had four small crucians?.
504F36DD-E1B1-4B34-92D1-B729CB1853DC.jpg
Had one or two fish which came off which felt bigger than I was catching, but mainly small fish today.
62265256-DBBF-4CA7-BFFB-D445E04AF237.jpg
Enjoyable day though,Neil arrived about nine thirty as usual, and there was some good banter going on, mainly about me falling in last week, good day out enjoyed it.

nottskev

Reaction score
Two of my favourites for this time of year - the Old Lake and the Tench Lake - have started to close at 7pm in the evening. The best time to fish now, especially if the day is bright and sunny, is 5 or 5.30 to 8.30 or 9 pm, but it's not really worth it if you're having to wrap up in time to be off at 7pm and leave feeling you're missing the best of it.

Stuck for where to go on a cloudless hot day, I went back to the woodland pond. Last time I managed half an hour's fishing until the willow fluff closed in. A week later, I arrived to find the surface covered in what looked like leaves, but were blobs of green foam gathered around bits of floating debris. With the slight flow from the stream running through and an occasional push from the slight breeze, it all revolved around the pool.

I fished pole this time as it was going to be a matter of dropping into gaps in the scum and steering round the debris. With two light rigs, 4x10 floats on .10/.08 line, one at depth, one shallow, and feeding two swims cautiously, I was still waiting for a bite two hours later. The maggots dripped in one failed to attract any ide. The dead maggots and a few micros trickled into the other were doing a good job of repelling any bream.

Just after 5 pm the float dipped. The first three decent fish all came off. If a man swears in the middle of a forest when there's nobody to hear it, does it count as swearing? The next five, 4 bream and an ide, all stayed on and saved the day. The bites stopped as quickly as they started, so I was off by 7pm anyway.
I like the place, despite the fairly low catches and the tricky and frustrating fishing.

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
Hi mate

Nice fish, definitely a carp.

I’ve fished Claremont a bit and it can be a bit temperamental, you can be catching well then it goes stone dead. Not far from there is Yew Tree fishery, in Thornton Hough. This is a far better fishery, very well stocked and run. There are 2 lakes. The smaller lake is stuffed with fish of the size of the one in your picture and bites are almost guaranteed. The bigger lake is also well stocked and slightly harder but has bigger fish.

If you plan on going let me know and I’ll help with tactics.

neil1970

Reaction score
I hit a farm pond for an hour yesterday and lost count of the amount of tiny Rudd on a cut down Crazy Fish Whitebait.
On the way home I visited a stretch of canal I haven't fished for over a year and caught a nice little Perch on a plug.:)

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Another dawn trip to the estate this morning. The last few outings here have been frustrating, using light float gear on the near bank it seems almost impossible to get through to the decent tench and crucians with skimmers and small roach snaffling the bait in whichever way I presented it.

Many of the members fish to the far bank, so a case of “if you can’t beat them join them”, left the float rods at home and dusted off the carp rod.

The morning was slow but with theee takes I had three carp, not my favourite species but they are handsome fish in this lake. On my last cast of the morning I finally hooked a nice plump tench, it behaved more like a record perch with a lot of head banging going on, wasn’t in vain as it slipped the hook right at the net.:eek:mg:

The search for my first tinca of the season continues.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
The Met Office got it completely wrong for me and the BF today. We couldnt get on at Farmoor and with no maggot and hordes of anglers we decided against Bury Hill and charged off to Marsh Farm which is on our Godalming AS ticket....but members only atm no day tickets.

The promised cloudy morning didn't happen....it was wall to wall boiling sunshine , no shade for me ( forgot the umbrella) and no shade for the fish. It had all the makings of a grueller and so it was. Despite the fishery not opening until 6 am when we arrived at just after there seemed to be a fair few there already and they hadn't just arrived either.!

After an early good tench I could not buy a bite. The BF picked up the odd fish all morning...a couple of crucian,a couple of smallish tench and ( the horror) one of those slimy chair levellers. I had a lovely crucian right out of the blue....then another tench around 3.5 lb. It went stone dead around 11am and again I could not buy a bite while the BF had another tench and lost 2 other fish. By 1 pm it had gone completely dead and the BF decided he'd had enough and packed. I was about to follow when another nice crucian appeared out of the blue....he left, some cloud cover appeared and I decided to give it another 30 mins. Almost immediately I had a nice tench of 4-9 which was smaller than my first one which I didn't weigh. That was enough so I ended up with 3 decent tench and 2 lovely crucian....which, given the conditions, I felt was a pretty good return. Others there who'd fished yesterday said it had been really hard since it went hot and bright so I think we did ok.

Dont like early starts any more. I was up at 4 am and knackered by midday.

IMG_2042.jpg
2-4

IMG_2042.jpg
2-4

Handsome fish I hope you'll agree. We had to chop and change baits all morning. I had fish on rubber corn,rubber caster and 4mm soft pellet. Phil had his fish on either rubber corn or rubber caster.

I cannot get on with photos. Thats a 2-4 twice and a 2-8 below

Attachments

• IMG_2039.jpg
    IMG_2039.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I had a decent session on my first trip out. I fished a club water which is quite an easy water to catch from. I had lots of carp and a fair few chub.
All guess work so may be a little out, but i'd say the chub went up to between 5 and 6lb and the carp to about 12lb. The chub gave very good accounts of themselves and it seemed they couldn't resist large pieces of brown bread....

I met up with Mike for my second fishing session. Despite the blazing sun we both had some nice carp, nothing more than 6 or 7lb but some very nice looking fishy faces amongst them.
Between reeling in fish we had some hilarious chit chat with two anglers fishing opposite to us, they even believed me when I told them I was 23....Mike nearly choked trying to keep a straight face lol.

Last edited: