How did you get on?

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Another early start on the estate. Really have to think about clothing, it’s still very cool before the sun is up and when it is....el scorchio!

Lots of algae on the surface which doesn’t bode well for the summer months to come, it’s a beautiful lake but lacks maintenance which it badly needs. This is most probably the reason that I’m finding the fishing harder than in previous years.

Liike Saturday had some clonking roach and some decent size bream too, they refused and photography.

It seems almost a year since I last caught a crucian, today two came along in minutes of each other.

steve2

Reaction score
Finally managed to post my first picture.The 8lb pike that taken by unseen bigger pike.

Attachments

• IMG_1311.jpg
    IMG_1311.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_1309.jpg
    IMG_1309.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 225

mikench

Reaction score
Awáke at 4.30 and unable to sleep I thought what am I to do , I know go fishing. I set off for one venue but detoured past my favourite to see if anyone was there. Indeed there was , about 6 anglers on the one lake as the other is out of bounds for maintenance work.

IMG_6796.JPG

I couldn't leave so I set up with the Acolyte and maggots. Nothing to write home about but 25 small fish and a couple of carp. Tigger couldn't come out to play today so I consoled myself with a delightful bird who kept me amused all day. It landed on my rod and carried off 6 maggots in one go and kept coming back.

IMG_6796.JPG
IMG_6801.JPG

Hertsbloke

Reaction score
Things have now calmed down in terms of the world wanting to go fishing. Park farm will be fully back to normal day tickets from next week, but one or two swims have beem cordoned off.

Spent a day on the moat yesterday, using the method feeder with corn on the hook and as freebies.

About n hour in this noce Bream came in. Reset and sat back down.

Another hour goes by, then the tip hammers round and Im into a Carp.....this chap wanted a scrap alright. Took about 15 minutes before I even saw a sign of the fish at all, really hung on to the bottom.

Didnt weigh it, but I guess am early double.

I had another decent Bream and after that I couldnt buy a bite....

Attachments

• IMG_2351.JPG
    IMG_2351.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 210
  • IMG_2352.JPG
    IMG_2352.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 206

wetthrough

Reaction score
On the Bridgewater East of Lymm arriving at 5am yesterday.

BWSL_Along_20200602_051252.jpg

My local maggot supplier didn't get the delivery they were expecting by 5:15pm yesterday so I had to make do with what I had as I'd prepared everything else. I'd been turning casters so stopped and put the remainder, about 50 at most in the fridge. The only others I had were the remains of some reds Mikench gave me a week ago. They'd been in the bottom of the fridge in one of those clip seal pots. Dead as a doornail and still only about 1/8 pint but they'll have to do. Well, I thought they were dead. They came back to life on the bank like nothing had happened. Interestingly when Mike gave them to me and he commented, they were kind of rubbery. When they came back to life the rubberyness had gone and were just as you'd expect them to be straight from the shop. There was more colour in the water then I expected and lockdown hasn't stopped the regular barges even if the cruises are locked down.

BWSL_Peg_20200602_061341.jpg

Chanced some GB and by 8am I'd had a mixed bag of 13, Roach and Perch. Nothing of any great size but not tiddlers either.

BWSL_Perch_20200602_070319.jpg

Roach to caster mostly and Perch to maggot nearly all on the far shelf. In the past the better fish have been at the bottom of the near drop off but they weren't playing ball today and it didn't get any better as the sun came round, fishing the sewing thread to an 18s. It's woodland on the far bank so once the sun comes right round the water is progressively more in the shade. Bites were getting a bit harder to come by so switched to 3.3lb fluorocarbon to 18s which didn't seem to improve matters then finally to 2lb FC to 20s light gauge. Carried on catching finally calling it a day at around 1pm with 35 on the tally counter. I don't catch many Perch and if I do they're usually the micro variety so it was a nice change with some half decent fish. Perch and Roach all of a similar stamp around the 4oz mark, some bigger some smaller.

Seth's post just reminded me. Caught my first Gudgeon from the Bridgewater yesterday.

Last edited:

seth49

Reaction score
Early start yesterday again, at the fishery for 5.15 am, and for a change someone was there before me, mick arrived as I was unloading my car, and then more arrived till there were six of us fishing, set up on pole for a start fishing six metres out over ground bait, using soft expander pellets on the hook, plenty of gudgeon to start with.
CAFC2F8F-09A4-4C07-B094-EE745DA0D14A.jpeg

Some were bigger than this, there’s some big gudgeon in here, also a few skimmers, like that till the sun started shining on the water, and then it went dead, started to get hot quickly after that and I had no shade, this fellow liked the sunshine though.later on the carp started cruising around on the surface, and I managed one on floating bread but that was it, became very hot later so we packed up at two.
44E78556-26AB-46B6-96A5-DAD60861395B.jpeg
h

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Had our first codgers match since lockdown yesterday on the canal near Tring. 16 turned up. As organiser, I had planned the whole thing previously to avoid close contact. For the draw I had a bowl and some disinfectant spray in the open hatchback of my car.
Competitors queued up and sprayed their pools money before placing it in the bowl. Then they came to my passenger door whilst I sat in the drivers seat. I pulled theor number from a bag in full view. We then had a walk off/peg down whereby number one walked to the first peg followed by 2 who sat 15m further down, there were no physical pegs in place as moored boats had to be avoided by another 15m. It took a while but eventually all 16 were in place.
The water had some colour despite the lack of boat traffic. There was loads of floating debris which hampered our light float set ups.

My peg was one of the narrower ones with 5’ down the middle and 3’ hard across.

2-C570311-F56-D-4355-A6-DE-E050915-B38-DE.jpg

4-E9-FEFAD-5484-425-A-9927-7-F8-E01-D0226-B.jpg

Started on punch down the middle, taking small roach on a slow sinking, strung out number 10’s, on a 3bb waggler. As usual it wasn’t long before they fizzled out. All the while I’d been pinging casters and hemp across in the shallower water. I slid the float down and tried across with single maggot, again small roach and a tiny rudd. It got quite hot in the sun around midday and the fish switched off completely. I had about 8 small fish in my net and was fearing the worst. I began wracking my brain trying to think of what to do next.
I swapped my waggler to a smaller 2bb version and shallowed it up to 2’ depth and cast precariously close to the far bank vegetation, punch on the hook.
Bingo, it buried on the drop and a roach was landed. I carried on like this for the final hour and a half and made up a fair little net of small roach.

0-B39-D8-DC-7812-4439-9315-41074-B7-AB603.jpg

For the weighing in I’d had to devise a way of doing it without close contact. Whilst previously thinking how I’d do it I looked at my laundry drying on a 3 way folding clothes horse. I hung the handles of the weigh sling on the two tops of the open side and dropped some books into it to see if it fell over, it didn’t. So that clothes horse came with me to the match. I zeroed the scales and hung the sling on the clothes horse, stood back, and the angler tipped their fish in. They then stood back while I weighed them in before returning the fish myself.

My roach weighed 1:15:0 which surprisingly got me 4th place. Winner had some skimmers + bits for 2:15:0.

Paste paul

Reaction score
Another early start on the estate. Really have to think about clothing, it’s still very cool before the sun is up and when it is....el scorchio!

Lots of algae on the surface which doesn’t bode well for the summer months to come, it’s a beautiful lake but lacks maintenance which it badly needs. This is most probably the reason that I’m finding the fishing harder than in previous years.

Liike Saturday had some clonking roach and some decent size bream too, they refused and photography.

It seems almost a year since I last caught a crucian, today two came along in minutes of each other.

Love your description (clonking roach) it’s how my dad would describe catching big roach ?

rich66

Reaction score
Well second trip out in 2 weeks and the blank continues. Just a couple of liners on my feeder where the only signs of life.
Tried all the usual sweetcorn, meat, pellets, small boilies. Only consolation was my brother didn’t catch either, so perhaps it wasn’t just me today !

There was a big shoal of fry in the margins, so tiny I couldn’t make out what they might be.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
The sea was a bit choppy today and a lot cooler which has driven the day trippers away but the sea was fairly clear.. So, only one bloke fishing on the end of the jetty. He said a few mackerel were caught last night on the high tide. That's the first I have heard of them so far. The day trippers have caught nought. This bloke was bottom fishing with two rods and had not had a bite either. Still, if the mackerel have started their run here that is encouraging and there might be some bass with them. But, it has generally been very poor.

Cliff Hatton

Reaction score
Haven't fished yet but had a splendid hour or so watching hundreds of shad forging up the rapids at Hay Warren, then tumbling back down the shallow gravel-run downstream...spawning presumably.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Have just heard of a reservoir about 30 mile away, may have to give it a go.
Not fished a big water since Pickmere Lake and Budworth Mere in Cheshire, even though one of my northern clubs has a couple of decent sized waters.
Used to like fishing Lake Semerwater in Yorkshire some years ago. Fished Bala Lake a few times but never caught anything.
I am looking for diverse venues down here due to lack of good commercials.

Roger Johnson 2

Reaction score
Things have now calmed down in terms of the world wanting to go fishing. Park farm will be fully back to normal day tickets from next week, but one or two swims have beem cordoned off.

Spent a day on the moat yesterday, using the method feeder with corn on the hook and as freebies.

About n hour in this noce Bream came in. Reset and sat back down.

Another hour goes by, then the tip hammers round and Im into a Carp.....this chap wanted a scrap alright. Took about 15 minutes before I even saw a sign of the fish at all, really hung on to the bottom.

Didnt weigh it, but I guess am early double.

I had another decent Bream and after that I couldnt buy a bite....

Would love to see some pictures of the place, Park Farm was my go to place as a kid 45-50 years ago (gulp) we called it Frenchie’s then, used to dig red worms from the manure heap for free and catch perch and occasional tench. Same family still running it I believe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Paste paul

Reaction score
Well second trip out in 2 weeks and the blank continues. Just a couple of liners on my feeder where the only signs of life.
Tried all the usual sweetcorn, meat, pellets, small boilies. Only consolation was my brother didn’t catch either, so perhaps it wasn’t just me today !

There was a big shoal of fry in the margins, so tiny I couldn’t make out what they might be.
Where did you go ?

Gaston664

Reaction score
Only 2 or 3lb but it was my first carp of the year. I had one that was much bigger on before I packed up but I lost it.

Just a little local club water, i dont think there is anything over 8 or 10lb there but its a lovely place to sit for a few hours.

14bf1dbab8374c5e12ab5cc907ea30f8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk