How did you get on?

Reaction score
Well,yesterday,I went to a club lake that supposedly has lots of tench in,fished it four times now and caught two,not many there yesterday(4)with the poor forecast,by lunch only me left,I sat there with one bite(missed)several indications on the float,some bubbling,definitely fish,I saw two good grass carp glide through the swim in midwater,anyway apart from a few showers and a very strong wind it wasnt too bad....until around 3pm when a very dark line of swirly cloud appeared to my left(NW???),after a while a few prolonged claps of thunder and the line of cloud had moved slowly nearer,after an hour the wind died and the heavens opened,for an hour I sat under my brolly with a plastic sheet over my legs,with the raindrops bouncing three inches back out of the lake,lightening forking right across the sky above,incredible,then as suddenly as it started the rain stopped the sun came out,but still with thunder and lightening out front,I decided packing was in order as in the distance behind me was another black cloud,anyway,I cast my float out as far as I could to clear the line and wound it straight in,I was about to lift it to find resitance and a five ounce perch had taken the grain of corn to save the blank,couldn't help but chuckle..

rich66

Reaction score
a74d87ea192f1e7c4fe9aab29d6cdda1.jpg

First day of my week off, I’d planned to get up at 7 and go fishing. 4:30am I’m awake, thought to myself ought to grow up a bit and go back sleep. Well that lasted another hour and I thought 5:30 is near enough to 7 for me.
Choose one of my favourite pegs and was promptly told that the lake wasn’t fishing by one of the overnight carpers on the car park.
Nice dry but over cast start to the day. Fished the waggler about a rods length out but two lengths to my left as there is no other peg there.
Double red maggot was the bait of choice, loose fed the same. Had a few 8oz bream and a small fingerling chub, which was a surprise. I switched over after the waggler went dead onto a hybrid feeder and micro pellets with a 5mm wafter. By now it was belting it down so I was sheltering under my brolly with streams of water running off all edges. Had another small bream, just as the rain stopped my rod about shot out of the rest as a carp decided to sample my bait. My new feeder rod is a little softer in its action than my last, but it handled itself very well if not better than the other. A brief but powerful scrap gave me a nice ghost carp I didn’t say it but I’d imagine around 6-7lb ? Lost a few more after that around 12:30 I decided to beat a retreat before the next deluge, which hit just as I’d finished packing up.
Very pleased to have caught after my recent row of blanks !
3c71ff62a134e84ad5e60536ef3be061.jpg

Paste paul

Reaction score
Ok so I had a 3 hour session on our association water today it’s the first time I’ve fished it but it’s a 7 minute drive from my house so nice and close.
I was the only one on the bank so I was a little sceptical but as it turned out I didn’t need to worry.
608665D8-1BAE-4870-877A-AFFA8D71124F.jpeg

I set up a 2AA home made waggler on 4lb Maine line with a size 18 hook on .11 hook link
18DDBEC8-E7A0-45C1-AD03-9469E15A1C9E.jpeg

Maggots were used and I caught hybrids roach Rudd
20786238-F50B-45DF-97D5-0EB13D1FA82E.jpeg

Then I had a 4lb tench absolutely beautiful fish didn’t look like it has been caught before
63FB227E-CD0D-4187-B19C-16CBFF39D876.jpeg

And this little fellow
F3C35922-AADA-4BFF-A758-B4309EED7D56.jpeg

All in all chuffed

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
It was quite cold yesterday morning when my mate and I arrived at 7am on the canal at Apsley. Saturday’s rain had obviously swollen the nearby river Gade as there was sufficient flow to use stickfloats. Mate and I set up and started on punch, small roach and dace readily biting. A switch to maggots had a similar response. As the day progressed it became apparent the bigger roach and perch weren’t feeding, why is anyone’s guess? We both had a problem with an enormous pike attacking our keepnets at least twice, it really was a whopper..
We stayed until 2:30 when the rain clouds started to look threatening.
4FF14A11-5ADD-45EE-B292-AB921CDA4B5E.jpeg
691DEBC0-3AE5-4A4C-B30A-3BBF6EB33ACA.jpeg

bracket

Reaction score
Had three hours on the Club's crucian lake this morning. Quite mild but a bit windy. Sat down on this peg, and fished expander pellet tight to the lilies at 8 to 9 metres.
The Peg.JPG

Began to pick up little crucians steady for the first hour.

crucian.JPG

Then the tench poked their heads out.

Second Tench (2).JPG

I had five around this size, plus a dozen bars of soap

First Tench.JPG

In addition I got a slack handful of these:

roach.JPG

Always nice to see. I finished up with 78 fish on the clicker, and went home feeling quite content after an nice comfortable session. This crucian fishing can get addictive. Pete

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
With showers forecast for the next couple of days it was good to get a few hours in today.

My usual venue on the estate, will be glad for a change of routine come the 16th for some river fishing and hopefully if the wind changes some trips to the coast in search of bass.

Just as well this lake is set in such a wonderful setting that just sitting there is a joy because the fishing is hard work. Skimmers, followed by small roach and then more skimmers, lots of skimmers. Finally a beautiful bar of gold made the day.

The tench seem to taking social distancing to the extreme with another day unseen.

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
Gordon and I decided to try a new venue which was postponed from last Friday . We arrived at 5.00 am( don't know why we bothered) and saw this.

IMG_6878.JPG

It oozed fish ie tench, roach, carp , perch and bream , in fact, all the fish the club book described as being present. Certainly carp were cruising around and congregating in numbers far from us but we caught nothing. I had 2 rods out and not a nibble. Gordon fishing the float and suffered the same fate. Lovely setting but poor results. We both blanked. Neither of us had any idea why and felt deflated after 9 hours of failure. Me I could understand but not Gordon.

It was a shame but part of fishing. There is always another day. I did hook a carp on floating bread which spooked the whole lot and I'm sure it was foul hooked as it felt strange and the hook pulled after a couple of minutes.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
All that glitters is not gold Mike. Having said that, you go back on another day and bag up!

mikench

Reaction score
I have a feeling that won't happen John for two reasons ; 1. I suspect that the fish are not there in the numbers claimed and 2. I doubt I will be going back.:(

rich66

Reaction score
Back to the ponds at Frisby again this morning, arranged to meet my brother there. We’d already decided on the pond we where going to fish but it was quiet busy so we opted for the match lake.
4b04538f6b36ef82b863f1e34337aa38.jpg

I had a real mixed bag of fish and techniques today. Hybrid feeder, swingtip and free lining. Had a couple of carp off the top on floating dog biscuit. A fair few bream all around 1/2lbc, from both the hybrid feeder and maggot feeder on the swingtip. Casting right to the island almost was most productive with the maggot feeder, I was getting bites before the feeder had hit the bottom on a couple of occasions. These where chub I think as I landed 3, it went quieter by about 12:30 but we stayed the afternoon catching the odd small carp, I had a screaming run that snapped me off before I’d had much of a chance to do more than lift the rod out of the rest.
Definitely a day to remember for a while at least.
3a638bb8905458b9f684c4f931523b4d.jpg

efa7004ccb31fb4ecf16d146fdb5fcb4.jpg

20efab827f69dee3b2f7d95f41eecb2f.jpg

Paste paul

Reaction score
Went back to castle dam for a couple of hours yesterday evening
Tried a small ground bait feeder with maggots ....... I had to wait for bites but the fish were worth waiting for.........
E1B00938-DBB6-4472-97C4-0003A1CCF115.jpeg

Little hybrids on maggots
A3A8F24A-029F-492B-A6EF-EA487D44EFA4.jpeg

Had a few little tincas absolutely beautiful fish
530B461B-2E53-44EA-A352-3030C0CBBD87.jpeg

Had this carp about 3 pound but not bad on lite gear she gave me a bit of a run about
30BBDFBA-43E1-49B2-8C7C-B9C8682790CE.jpeg

Had a couple of these beauties....... on the feeder not bad.......

seth49

Reaction score
At the fishery for five thirty am, had a call from mick as I got there, he had lost his way and needed directions, I only took him there on Sunday but he had turned right instead of left so missed it.
First time here on this pond, but we had heard it was good for tench, the best eight pounds, which is big for round here.

Tackled up with same rod and pin, drennan glo tip float to a size twelve Qm1, with a quick stop on the hair, was going to try the worm kebab I’d been hearing about, which is short pieces of worm threaded onto the hair with the quick stop, so that it leaks the flavour and juices from the worm.

First fish was a small Rudd, and I then had three small tench, before catching a couple of better ones, so the method works, it was slow fishing after a cold night, it’s only about three feet deep, so soon cools down, it felt cold as well till about ten o clock when it warmed up a bit, I believe it fished a lot better yesterday when it was warmer. One chap showed me a photo of a twenty five pound carp he had caught here last year, so some big carp as well, not the nicest fishery I’ve been too, it’s noisy with the industrial units near here, but plenty of tench. And now I can’t put any photos here, it’s saying no photos or videos, is there a reason for this.
0DACE57F-565D-4684-8443-7ECD4BED9174.jpeg

Last edited:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Ribs still very sore so I thought a break ( !) from the decorating might do then some good so off to Marsh Farm to try for a crucian. Late start...didn't get there till nearly 1pm intending to fish until dusk. Phil arrived shortly after with the same plan.

5 hours later without a bite between us and no sign of fish at all the 9pm finish was looking a little daft.....then a fish rolled right over Phil's bait. For 15 minutes the odd fish rolled and I had 2 bites...2 crucians, 1 just under and the other just over 2lb. Then the rolling stopped so I gave it 30 minutes and packed. When I left Phil was still there hoping for a mugfish.

Bailiff reckons its been right off for the last week. Goodness knows why because the conditions were cock on.

Reaction score
Well,I think I should get myself a bivvy and rod pod and fish for carp,cant do any worse,I fished maggot today,never had a sniff,liner or anything,golf clubs look immenent....