How did you get on?

The Runner

Reaction score
First time out in a few weeks after turning my ankle- decided on a trip to the West coast of the Island which I've barely fished so far. Bike ride to try to get rid of a bit of the lockdown weight, about 11 miles over the hill road to Clach a Chruinneachaidh near Struan. Haven't heard of anyone fishing it but looked good on a recce and its where the head of Loch Bracadale splits into Loch Harport, both of which are noted for thornbacks, so...
Obviously travelled lighter than usual, essentials only but still managed to forget a rope...
IMG_1515.JPG

so it was a 400 yard detour to a safe way down.
Set up a simple running ledger, mackerel strip on a 1/0 and put it out about 90 yards. Tide dropping, shallow and weedy close in but then off to at least 20ft at range. Travelling light of course precludes a tripod, so,,,
IMG_1517.JPG

No indications in an hour so dropped a good bit shorter, 60 yards or so and tip soon rattled, resulting in an LSD. I know a lot of sea anglers dislike these but I've got no problem with them- this was actually the first I've had up here
IMG_1518.JPG

The Runner

Reaction score
Oops. hit "post" by mistake
Anyway, half an hour later had another a bit smaller at the bottom of the tide, thought might pick up after the tide turned but in three hours of the flood only had two more bites, missed one and added a small dab.
Called it a day at 7, back up the short steep hill and then just spent a few minutes admiring the view from the fencepost had locked the bike to.
IMG_1521.JPG

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
It certainly is that John. It's tranquil and quiet and ive not seen another angler there apart from Gordon. The water holds carp, crucians, chub, Rudd, roach, perch , bream, tench and gudgeon. Gordon had a nice bream today and I know there are some big carp in there so we just have to tempt them.
Which one is it Mike, there are one or two around the High Legh area like that.

mikench

Reaction score
Bath Pool on Wrenshot lane. Just spent a couple of hours trying to find somewhere in Birchwood and then getting out. What a nightmare of a place. It's got more roundabouts than Milton Keynes.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Bath Pool on Wrenshot lane. Just spent a couple of hours trying to find somewhere in Birchwood and then getting out. What a nightmare of a place. It's got more roundabouts than Milton Keynes.
There is the "brickpits" near birchwood. Good fishing but feral youths knocking around the place most days.
Go down Manchester Rd towards Irlam, there is a transport cafe on the left, turn there, WAA have a water on right hand side going up the lane.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
What is it called Mark,
Rixton Clay Pits
If you get on M6 at Lymm off the M56, go over Thelwall Viaduct and come off there to the A57 ,follow signs for Manchester, after about 1.5 miles there is a garden centre on the left,more or less after that it transport cafe, Turn left here into Moat Lane, go up there about half a mile, and turn right into WAA car park. Drive slowly or you will go past it.
Alternatively come over Toll Bridge from Lymm, set of lights at bottom of road, Turn left for Warrington and Moat Lane is about a mile on the right hand side of the road.
Or if you fancy a day on a commercial.. continue up moat lane to the top ,turn left and Blundells fishery is on the left down the lane, again drive slowly after turning left at top of moat lane in case you miss it.

barbelboi

Reaction score
On Tuesday I decided to have a break from strolling over the local fields trotting for roach and took the 20 minute drive south to the Gt Ouse for a spot of barbel fishing. The fishing was quite slow and, unlike my local streams/rivers, there are quite a few Reggies and Ronnies in residence but ended up working hard for two fish both caught on rolled 18mm Halibut pellets. Fished from 12 - 4pm - the Ouse aint what it used to be.............
ouse7july2020.JPG
ouseb1.JPG
ouseb2.JPG

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Due to a booking system for pegs on the town pit I have been unable to fish my preferred swim recently. Did eventually successfully book it for yesterday and gave it a morning. First thing I noticed was the horrendous weed which was everywhere I cast.

59B69E97-85B2-43F8-896C-39E325BAEE44.jpeg

12’6 Carbonactive soft feeder rod, 2oz tip and a 25gr method feeder with gb. Double maggot on a 16guru QM1.
Second chuck at 60yds the tip went round, fish on. Then it went solid as it found a clump of weed. Lost that but next cast I was in again, tench safely landed

E8B9E348-38EC-4050-945E-C5A61A190550.jpeg

I lost 2 more before I landed this slab...
8B43480B-6585-4A5F-AA88-1C3D1032F744.jpeg

mikench

Reaction score
Today was my last opportunity to go fishing for at least 14 days and Gordon tempted me to try the canal again. It was murky and damp early one but the fishing was poor.

IMG_7086.JPG
IMG_7087.JPG

I fished a Hardy Bomb rod and the float whilst Gordon fished the float. I nearly caught a moorhen on the float but the feeder remained silent. It was very windy and blowing straight down the canal from right to left. Trying to cast to the far bank was difficult if not impossible and despite choice of float, sinking the line and keeping the float stationary was difficult and infuriating.
There was constant boat traffic all morning and in the end I fished the feeder rod in the near side margin. Around lunchtime as a long narrow boat chugged by I saw the tip swinging round 90 degrees and line was stripped of the baitrunner. I thought this is it , a humungeous fish. In truth I'd caught the narrow boat. I thought I was safely in the near side margin but i was on the far bank. Thankfully the boat slowed( strong stuff progold) and the hybrid feeder came unattached and i reeled in waving apologetically to the guy on board. That was the only Excitement all day. I didn't blank but 2 roach were poor reward for my efforts. Gordon managed 6 including a couple of roach hybrids.

It was disappointing overall but that's fishing for you. Even maggots didn't get much interest along with corn, pellets, prawns, worm, dead reds, and bread. We both reckoned the fish were simply not there. Thanks Gordon and see you in a fortnight one way or the other.

Last edited:

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Had grand plans for this week with a few venues pencilled in for a variety of fishing including lake, sea and river, sadly all cancelled due to feeling rather unwell, not sure if it’s Covid aftermath or the wretched blood thinners I’m now on.
Anyway felt a lot better this morning and was determined to get out if only to clear my head, this is the perfect opportunity for a little light lure fishing. Took two rods, a dropshot rod and the other rod with a small mepps spinner and wire trace attached.

The river was looking beautiful and peaceful, wouldn’t be for long though as the canoeists and kayakers arrive.

Had a couple of perch best going about a pound On the dropshot rod and had a pike on the tiny spinner.

By 11am the car park was full with a lot inflating going on, time to retreat.

Reaction score
Seems the kayaks,boarders and swimmers rule the roost these days,pay nothing,ruin everything,my mate at Christchurch tells me everyone has bought an inflatable kayak or board since lockdown has eased,ridiculous really,a Ringwood member pays a lot of money to fish there and gets no backing from the EA,that's wituout our rod licence money,a bit like mountain bikers on the towpaths...

Reaction score
It simply isn't,anglers are there as obstacles to fly around,if they run through your tackle thats the anglers fault,not the speeding numpty flying down the towpath...this isn't meant as an attack on cyclists,but the towpath isn't a cycle path...

seth49

Reaction score
I’m a bit late with yesterday’s report, been very busy today, anyway we went to another of our waters on the new club ticket, it looks very nice, and contains some nice fish too, unfortunately the heavy overnight rain seemed to have put them off.
Started about 7 am mick and I and Neil joined us on a guest ticket, we were the only ones there all morning and till 2pm when one more angler turned up, started on the pole, fishing mussel to the patch of lilies to my left, had one carp and another one which shed the hook in the lilies, and that was it for me, the peg I picked just didn’t live up to expectations, mick had three carp, and Neil also had three carp, plus three nice tench.

No sign of the good roach and perch which are in here plus bream crucians etc, it should be better when the weather improves, will be back though it looks good.
C3DAE8C3-E17B-400C-8F66-822F7CCAA7A1.jpeg
F167312E-2EC0-4D43-AD94-75C746596D8D.jpeg
74B903F7-56CE-4FE4-9F65-33C3DEE259DC.jpeg

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It simply isn't,anglers are there as obstacles to fly around,if they run through your tackle thats the anglers fault,not the speeding numpty flying down the towpath...this isn't meant as an attack on cyclists,but the towpath isn't a cycle path...

I did say that to a very good m8 of mine who works for the CART doing the enviromental studies, fish rescue etc etc.
He told me that the footpaths are for everyone, including cyclists....and there is no speed limit other than use consideration for other users.
As with most things, consideration for others no longer exists.