How did you get on?

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I’ve been looking forward to this day for sometime, even thinking about it when lying in a hospital bed in a Covid ward. I let the past couple of weeks pass by when the venue was mobbed and hoped my visit to Stonar lake today would be less crowded, I wasn’t disappointed, arrived at 5am to a beautiful sunrise and very few anglers present.

Bagged my favourite swim and set up with a 6m whip and a rod set up with a slider float for fishing the deck in search of my monster Rudd.

It was tough going as I searched every inch of a long column ranging from 6 inches below the surface to the depths of 20ft plus. Ended up with just eleven rudd best going no more than a 1lb.

The main problem as so often is the bream, doesn’t matter what depth, what bait, what method, they arrive first on the scene, makes for an interesting duel when using the whip raising these 5lb slabs from the deep.

The highlight was catching three tench, unusual for this venue, not huge, best going about 3lb but all in perfect condition.

I’ve done a few short sessions but spent ten hours today much of it under a hot sun, bloody knackered now. Early night tonight, off bass hunting first thing in the morning........if I can get out of bed.

sam vimes

Reaction score
A late report on a Sunday evening session. I hate how quickly the weekends flash by when I'm actually having to work for some extra bait money!
As the tench have been a little spotty on the syndicate recently, I went armed with a light float set up to target the marginally less elusive (of late) silvers, recently stocked skimmers and the odd perch mostly. First put in was rewarded with a small perch. From then on it went a little quiet until I started to see timid signs of tench. That had me scrabbling to set up a heavier tench float rod. The timid fizzing got steadily more prolific as the evening wore on. However, the only bite I managed was from a half decent roach nudging towards the pound mark. In the mean time, the tench studiously ignored the area that the heavier set up was occupying. Predictably enough, the tench did seem to be hovering around the area I was fishing for bits. I kept the set up the same bar hedging my bets by upping the hooklink strength a touch. Eventually, I managed to snag a nice tench of 5lb 3oz and promptly went home to bed ready for another day working for a living.

Reaction score
Decided to have another day of fishing and was pretty damn good. Caught 6 perch (1 really didn't want to have his picture taken and got away lol) and thought I'd give my pike lure a spin (har har) and...it hit the wall across the canal and snapped so £6 down the drain sadly, I'll have to replace it Friday when I take a trip to the local tackle shop! IMG_20200714_102727.jpgIMG_20200714_105635.jpgIMG_20200714_110340.jpgIMG_20200714_114432.jpgIMG_20200714_115400.jpg

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I really couldnt face an early start today....nor the potential circus down at Godalming, so I stayed in bed for an extra couple of hours and stayed local. Fished what Simon calls the "Town Pit" but which I know as the Aquadrome. No waterskiers on a Tuesday which is a bonus....the speedboat doesnt bother Simon but it sure as hell bothers me.

Fished a swim I had some good tench from last year and which another angler had 3 from yesterday ( I didnt know that at the time) and it looked terrific. Spodded out a bit of maggot and fished an in line maggot feeder on one rod and a method feeder on the other. Bait was red maggot on both.

If you're expecting this to lead to something I am sorry to say it doesn't. Bar 4 perch all around 6 oz I had one proper bite...hooked it ( a good tench) played it and then lost it
Conditions were nigh on perfect. Warm,overcast,lovely breeze but the tench there are terrible wanderers and today they just weren't there. ......and you can't catch fish that arent there. The one fish I hooked I am sure was a solitary wandering mugfish.

Should have set the alarm and braved the Godalming bunfight methinks

seth49

Reaction score
8476E11F-37F0-4484-9B9F-D0CEDE424955.jpeg
97612059-C85A-4374-8203-F0C63021FF0F.jpeg
4B22F938-6052-4188-A547-FF76ABFD5B77.jpeg
Back one the same pond as last Thursday, arrived just after six , and picked the swim that Neil had a few from last week, fished float rod as the lilies are to near for the pole, and need to steer any hooked fish away from them.
Fished mussel for bait over groundbait on one spot, and over 2 mm pellets in the margins.

First fish was the golden tench shown below, and then a couple of carp before it went quiet, nothing for a while and then started catching a few in the margin, finished with seven carp in total, lost a few as well, weather was very varied, cool with showers and windy at times as well, like it here, nice and peaceful and not far from home.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Was this the perfect day and swim, I have had Lou Reed's song "A perfect day" milling round my mind lately so it would have matched except for one thing, canoes, not as many as last time but enough to be irritating.
A overhanging tree opposite, flat space to sit, about 4-5ft of water, some nice marginal lilies and weed down stream, a nice bit of colour, warm, no wind, overcast-ish day, slow moving river and I had 5 fish in total in 3 hours. All chub of the stamp in the picture and one roach pushing a lb maybe. The chub were only about 1lb-2lb but enough for me to think a big roach was on just for a while.
I stuck with the paternoster type float set up, the only difference from last time is I used the sweetcorn as the main bait and the brown bread as a back up; I never do that, always the bread first. However, I made the right choice, all the fish came on the sweetcorn.
I know there are a few rare tench along here, think there just might be a 2lb+ roach lurking somewhere or even a carp, I know sea trout run up, I caught two many years ago about 1/2 mile further up. The tench have been eluding me for sometime now so a nice river tench is my goal. In the meantime a bit of perfect roach and small chub fishing will do. Shame about the C-----s, maybe the lyrics of that song should be changed "Almost a perfect day"...
14th 1 swim.JPG
14th chub.JPG
14th swim 2.JPG
100_0308.JPG

Last edited:

Reaction score
After Saturdays tiring day I decided on a more sedate day was in order yesterday,didn't plan for such a quiet day though lol,went to the crucian lake,caught 3,all at least 1lb to 1lb 4ozs,six or seven roach,two small chub and two perch about 8ozs,a couple of members I know came round and said it had been slow fishing for around two weeks now,lovely to be there though...

wetthrough

Reaction score
Haven't been for a while so decided to try and winkle a few Roach out of the Dam and maybe the odd Bream. Arrived at 5am fishing the east side with about 8' at 12/13M. Balled in some loose GB, more as an attractant than feed and used the bait dropper to put a few piles on the bottom. Wind forecast to be WNW to NW so at about 1 o'clock to me, theoretically. It's always either more north or south than they say an the Dam and yesterday was no exception. Definitely more North but at around 10mph not too much of a problem. Set up the 13' to 3lb and 18s for the 12M swim and the 10'6" to 2lb and 20s for the margin at 46" about 2M out. Started off in the deep water while loose feeding the margin with caster, hemp and the occasional few maggots. First out of the deep swim and unusually lively Bream/skimmer on caster:

LD_Bream_20200714_060517.jpg

Carried on with caster bringing 3/4oz Roach out to caster on a fairly regular basis. The odd one to tare. Nothing on bread, corn or meat. Switched to the margin after a couple of hours not to be disappointed:

LD_Roach_20200714_083437.jpg

At around 7/8oz I'm well pleased. The margin performed well netting maybe a dozen or so along with the usual smaller stuff with only the odd micro fish. A couple of small Perch to red maggot then a switch back the to the deep water picking up more medium sized Roach. 2:30 quiet fish wise and 59 on the clicker, no way was I going home with 59. Switched to the margin rod fishing up in the water at 12M with maggot on the hook. 4 tiddlers made 63 total and I go home at 3pm well satisfied. Nice to see a few regular chatters that dog walk the Dam still alive and kicking. Happy days:)

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Had a short session on the Stour through Canterbury this morning, once a regular jaunt but haven’t been much this year, the fish are becoming scarcer with predation from cormorants and fish being taken for the plate, those that remain have become even more wary and keep hidden away for much of the time.

Travelled light to rove the mile of river and started in a favourite comfy spot.

No action after 15 minutes, moved upstream to a much weedier part.

Again no sign of activity, time to get amongst the nettles and carefully place the bait under a willow tree.

A couple of minutes and the tip ripped round, I saw the fish immediately and knew it was a goodun, having lost some good fish in the past in the many snags I have beefed up the kit, an Avon rod loaded with 8lb Progold, job done, in the net within a minute.. I’ve had well over a hundred and fifty chub from the free section in the last three seasons, nearly all between 3 and 4lb.........finally a pb at 5lb 4ozs.

A good time to call it a day and I was feeling pretty pleased with myself. Sadly this area has a new development being constructed, retail park, cinema, cafes and bars with 500 flats for student accommodation being built, it saddened me even further when I spotted this.

Canoe Wild already operates out of Fordwich and Grove Ferry offering kayak, canoe and paddle board rentals, no experience needed. The river has become impossible to fish after 10am, now the free stretch will go the same way, due to complete in a year, better make the most of it while I can.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Had a short session on the Stour through Canterbury this morning, once a regular jaunt but haven’t been much this year, the fish are becoming scarcer with predation from cormorants and fish being taken for the plate, those that remain have become even more wary and keep hidden away for much of the time.

Travelled light to rove the mile of river and started in a favourite comfy spot.

No action after 15 minutes, moved upstream to a much weedier part.

Again no sign of activity, time to get amongst the nettles and carefully place the bait under a willow tree.

A couple of minutes and the tip ripped round, I saw the fish immediately and knew it was a goodun, having lost some good fish in the past in the many snags I have beefed up the kit, an Avon rod loaded with 8lb Progold, job done, in the net within a minute.. I’ve had well over a hundred and fifty chub from the free section in the last three seasons, nearly all between 3 and 4lb.........finally a pb at 5lb 4ozs.

A good time to call it a day and I was feeling pretty pleased with myself. Sadly this area has a new development being constructed, retail park, cinema, cafes and bars with 500 flats for student accommodation being built, it saddened me even further when I spotted this.

Canoe Wild already operates out of Fordwich and Grove Ferry offering kayak, canoe and paddle board rentals, no experience needed. The river has become impossible to fish after 10am, now the free stretch will go the same way, due to complete in a year, better make the most of it while I can.
Commiserations and empathy, I am beginning to understand what a problem this is. But what a great fish and well fished for, gold linings...

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I went to Newlands today, .There is a match on there in 10 days time.So I thought I will see how it fishes on a different peg than what I normally go on.
The day was overcast with a slight breeze and intermittent fine drizzle at first.
I set up a 12' Sppeedcast feeder rod with Shimano 4000DL baitrunner loaded with 6lbs Aernos line,A 20g hybrid feeder and flying back lead down to 8lbs Drennan hooklength and size 12 Drennan hook.
The margin pole was next, 3 topkits set up.
One was for a line at 7metres in front. This was rigged with a AS3 float on 0.16 line to 0.14 hooklength and 16 hook.
The other 2 topkits were rigged with PI Tyson 1 floats, these are a dibber style float,line was PI reflo 0.21 straight through to a size 14 guru hook on one rig and a 12 hook with quickstop .
I primed 2 margin swims to my left, one up against the edge the other at 3 metres out to my left.
I catapulted some 10mm tutti fruiti boilies 40 yards to the island in front of me and some Dynamite baits 8mm drilled halibut pellets at 20 yards.
The margin swims were primed with 2mm soaked pellets flavoured with Dynamite baits Sweet Coconut flavouring, and sweetcorn again soaked in the flavouring.
I started off up against the island with 10mm boilie and softened 2mm pellets, more boilies cattyed across, as well as pellets at 20 metres.
After 2 hours and only a couple of knocks on the tip from both swims ,I decided to try the margins . I had been putting a few 2mms and 3 pieces of corn in both swims every 15 minutes. The same with the 7 metre swim, but that was 2mm pellets and Dynamite baits F1 soft hookers. The 7 metre swim was 3 metres deep.
First put in on the edge margin swim with float and bait tight to the bank, resulted in a couple of small dinks on the float, I lifted in to this and a carp was on, It decided to go along the edge before I could steer it to open water in front of me and net it before it went for the platform. I took a fish from each margin swim by feeding one and fishing the other, all were carp between 4lbs and 5lbs, I got seen off by one I couldn't stop, the hook pulled.
I fed both swims then rested them.
Gave the 7 metre line a go and had a few roach and skimmers.
I kept looking across at the island to see if anyone was catching, nothing doing so the feeder rod stayed on pole roosts behind me.
Went back on the margin swims and took a few more fish before i called it a day.
I had around 80lb of carp and 4lbs of roach and skimmers.
2 anglers to my left did similar tactics to myself and also bagged up.
I am going to try a couple of more pegs before I decide if I will enter the match.
Going by today, it seemed to be sit and wait for fish. Even the blokes fishing big pellet wagglers to the island struggled, I started at 10am and finished at 2.30pm. More or less the length of time a match is.
I would have done a few pics but the phone screen was smeared with sweetcorn and coconut juice. ?

Last edited:

tommos16

Reaction score
Partridge lakes, Holbar lake for me today. Fished three rods, three different approaches (straight boilie, hybrid feeder and Luncheon meat tipped with fake sweetcorn).

It was dead from 7.30am until 1.30am when the left rod ripped off and my first ever Barbel was on the end. 3.5lbs, you'd swear it was three times the size - the reputation is well deserved.

Followed up with two more Barbel on meat, along with 5 carp up to 8.5lb which all put up a great scrap.

However, most crucially, I christened my new lucky hat (birthday present from the parents) with my dream fish!

IMG_20200715_190511_999.jpg
IMG_20200715_190512_001.jpg

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Partridge lakes, Holbar lake for me today. Fished three rods, three different approaches (straight boilie, hybrid feeder and Luncheon meat tipped with fake sweetcorn).

It was dead from 7.30am until 1.30am when the left rod ripped off and my first ever Barbel was on the end. 3.5lbs, you'd swear it was three times the size - the reputation is well deserved.

Followed up with two more Barbel on meat, along with 5 carp up to 8.5lb which all put up a great scrap.

However, most crucially, I christened my new lucky hat (birthday present from the parents) with my dream fish!

View attachment 9801View attachment 9802

Well done, I miss fishing Partridge, had some good catches off the waters there.
May go on again on one of my trips back to Warrington.

tommos16

Reaction score
Yeah it's a great place Mark and seems to be getting better. For me personally I still feel I'm in a learning phase (only caught my first fish in October last year) and its welcoming, accessible and inclusive. I love it there! If you do ever pop up and fancy a spot of fishing I'm always on the look out for a friendly face to fish next to

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score

View attachment 9801View attachment 9802

Give Fir Tree Fishery a try, or Sycamore fishery at Golbourne.
Widdows Flash at Hindley is another good one.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Yeah it's a great place Mark and seems to be getting better. For me personally I still feel I'm in a learning phase (only caught my first fish in October last year) and its welcoming, accessible and inclusive. I love it there! If you do ever pop up and fancy a spot of fishing I'm always on the look out for a friendly face to fish next to

Where do you live Tom ?