How did you get on?

Reaction score
Went today to a club lake,you can drive round half the lake,so I did to ascertain where to sit as winds were to get up to gale force,anyway,ended up going to an elevated car park,as soon as I stopped I didn't like the look of it,I thought it was hard standing,but it was gloopy mud,tried reversing to leave and had a bit of spinning(very slow speed),ended up having to pull away in third gear as second spun like a top,so left the fishery,thought i'd head past the small river(intending to go to another club lake near Stevenage),on passing the car park there were four cars in the car park,in I went in and fished the first peg and had six decent chub to around the 4lb mark,loads of chublets between 3ozs and a pound,6 nice dace,a roach and several gudgeon on wag and mag....

mikench

Reaction score
I was in two minds whether to inflict a rather dreary post on Wetthrough and Mikench go fishing part 27 , as , bluntly the fishing didn't amount to much.
IMG_8263.JPG
IMG_8264.JPG

Gordon can just be seen through the trees. We had nothing for 3 hours until Gordon utilising his secret formula gb featuring marmite broke his duck with a nice few roach and a pb bream of 5lb plus. I'm sure he'll be along shortly with a pic or two and as he stayed longer than me and no doubt has had a fantastic last hour. I managed to avoid my first blank of the year but it was very close. I caught just 2 decent roach on the float. My feeder rod became comatose and was withdrawn in disgust; not a nibble. Gordon can confirm his tally which was a lot more than me. It must have been the marmite.

The water often disappoints and another 4 anglers also struggled . It was mild, dry and sheltered from the wind so a pleasant day out. Shame about the fishing though.

Andy1990

Reaction score
Evening all,

Long time browser but new poster to the FM forum. I had hoped that my first post on this thread would be a nice catch report, as opposed to just a report. I had a rare Tuesday off and with it a few hours this afternoon on a previously un-fished stretch of my local river discovered on a walk on Sunday. I was excited for two reasons, the first being that I hadn’t fished it before and thinking I’d covered pretty much all of the banks within a 10 mile radius of my house. Secondly, because it screamed chub. It can be a really hard river to fish even when in seemingly perfect condition so it’s a long time since I’ve had full confidence of catching on a session here but I was absolutely convinced it would produce. I was wrong. River was still slightly high for my liking after recent rain but was dropping off nicely with a bit of colour. My preferred method is almost always link-ledgering but I found it really difficult today due to the amount of leaves coming down. I was holding bottom just about with 4 SSG’s in some nice looking water on the far bank but leaves were soon catching on the bow in my line and creating a lot of pull on the 2oz glass tip and constantly pulling my bait well out of position. What is everyone’s go-to solution here? Heavier weight and keep trying to free the leaves on the line, or change method altogether? I had what were perhaps a couple of taps but could well have been debris on the way past. Fished a couple of likely looking swims just into dark before calling it a day somewhat disappointed but eager to return soon when the levels drop again slightly. Couple of pictures below of the swims fished.
16C7655C-E023-4B46-8327-2507017A7FCC.jpeg
2482D4D2-F863-477B-9898-C809D0F18995.jpeg

Next post will hopefully have some fish as well!

Andy.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Couldn't face another mass bunfight on the club lake today.....tbh I didn't really fancy going anywhere but I thought I'd best get out while its so mild. Stayed local and went sh*t or bust for a barbel on the Colne. Had an odd almost milky look to it and quite a bit of pace too. Frankly.....I really didn't like the look of it all.

I was not in the least surprised that I never had a touch.

bracket

Reaction score
With a degree of reluctance I had another trip to the Frome today. Reluctance because there was a flood warning on the Frome, plus a nasty wind and a sky black as the Ace of Spades. Still "A faint heart never..........,, I cant remember now, was it maidens or pigs? I got to the River about 08.30am and had it to myself, so no ramming here. It didn't look too bad, about half a foot on with a bit of colour and of course that nasty wind was straight downgate. Much as I prefer to float fish, common sense, and the need for some creature comfort, indicted today was a day for the "Noddy Stick". I got myself settled on the peg I fished on my last session. The Frome is not a "Big" river but does push through some, so I rigged up a small maggot feeder with a 2oz "Dead Cow" strap lead, courtesy of forum member Raynor. Thanks again my friend. The cast required is just a gentle lob between a third and halfway across so not strenuous. An 18 inch tail with a 18 hook, one for the connoisseurs here, and two red maggot for starters.
000_0014.JPG

I kicked off, with no great expectations, and then second chuck got this:
000_0011.JPG

So what do I know? Between 09.00 and 10.00 I had 11 grayling, biggest going 2lb 3oz, then it slowed, as the river came up and the rubbish came down. I took a further five grayling, plus a trout by 11.15 and decided to call it a day after the next (18th) fish, which turned out to be a strut (minnow). Being a man of my word, the gear went back into the box and I walked across the meadow to the car thinking "What's all this reluctance nonsense then?" Pete.

Pete Shears

Reaction score
Yesterday was a roaming session in the GUC with drop shot and light spinning gear resulting in 2 small pike and 3 smallish perch , all on a white curly tail grub - nothing on the drop shot rig. Plenty of redwings and fieldfares on the hedgerows after the hawthorn berries and ravens flying back and forth.
This morning was a first light start on the canal feeder reservoir after pike, very mild and breezy. Seven too many cormorants working the deeps as a group. The only beeps from the alarms were when the wind gusts rocked the rod tops so to wildlife watching. No red dragon flies or small tortoiseshell butterflies this week but wasps still being a nuisance. Massive flock of redwing, two kingfishers zooming up and down, plenty of ducks and geese, two great white egrets ,best was watching a stoat coming along the path and then moving into the hedge bottom completely oblivious to my presence.

wetthrough

Reaction score
Odd how fish have different ideas about what's a perfect day for fishing. As Mike has said it was heavy going but at least I got a bend in the rod. Three hooked but only one landed. All to caster. Was it the Marmite? it certainly didn't put them off @The Sogster (y) I've had weighed five's before but this one was much bigger to look at by far:

BHF_Bream_20201117_101807.jpg

Stuck it til 3.45 but nothing else came to the net. Guy to my right had one more just as I was leaving. An enjoyable day thanks Mike, if a little heavy going - that's fishing.

seth49

Reaction score
Back on usual fishery today, on my own for a change, Mick was decorating and Neil was on another fishery, it was supposed to be mild today but it didn’t feel like it in the wind, so I picked a sheltered spot out of it, I had the option of across to the island with my pole for silvers, and two margin swims for the carp later, dropped the sleeper rod in the right hand margin with a method feeder filled with groundbait and a chocolate orange wafter on a band, placed on alarm and left to it.

Set my pole up with a lighter elastic fine line and a size 18 hook, fishing maggot over a small nugget of groundbait, and started catching small roach, ide, and skimmers, plenty of bites and to say it’s a margin pole it coped well, it made a change from the carp and I enjoyed it, by 1 pm I had caught thirty according to the clicker, so had some food and started fishing the left hand margin with mussel for the carp as I’d seen the odd tail pattern from the carp over the few pellets I’d thrown in.

Now I’d started the day on a count of 98 carp for this year and I’d set myself a target of 100, so I was hoping I might get the last two today, as it’s mid November and time is running out, and I finally got a run on the sleeper rod, which I’d been refilling the feeder every half hour, nice chunky common of 11 pounds 8 ozs, so one left to achieve my target, and same rod away again later, another deep common of 12 pounds 4 ozs, so I’d managed it, pleased with that.
2548A84D-6655-4BDB-8190-1479F0A1D234.jpeg
FCF9B7F0-9E5E-4D40-A84F-28D7827A3E5C.jpeg
DBEBFF21-BD4E-45B0-90BB-45C48B4EA778.jpeg
978CC0F3-79DD-49B6-9E2E-6D01D47087FB.jpeg

Last edited:

rich66

Reaction score
Had an eye test this morning, so to cheer myself up bought a pint of maggots and went in search of my brothers who had gone fishing.
Found them at the club lakes, glad I bought a pint as they’d managed to catch just 1 bream when I turned up, immediately got asked got any maggots!
Mild but windy conditions, only fish really feeding was the perch, I had around a doz or so from 1oz upto maybe 1/2lb with an odd roach thrown in. Nice couple of hours sport and a much need catch up.
b2c441c5fe99645436405bf3fbcc5be5.jpg

e5c8a74a4e3116f2b20b26e61f5a6920.jpg

Reaction score
Well after yesterday mornings disastrous beginning(see everywhere is rammed)I decided on a run back to the club lake I visited Saturday,turned up around 11.30am to find lots of anglers present,nobody catching much,as the water was clear I decided to feed lightly,seven or eight maggots a cast,and a few pinches of hemp to start,well small roach were a pain,so I upped the feed and the size went up slghtly to three ounces,then two four ounce skimmers,an 8oz perch,then back to tiny roach and perch,about an hour from the end I decided to fill it in with hemp and maggot at my rod end well that did it,had a lovely looking roach about 12ozs and around eight or ten reasonable perch,from 8ozs to 1lb 4ozish,not too bad and different...

peterjg

Reaction score
Monday: went back to the K&A canal, caught 24 roach. Most of them smallish with 6 or 7 gooduns. Caught on bread, dead maggots, sweetcorn and flavoured pasta. No other anglers and not one boat - heaven!

Today: went back to the same swim as Monday, expecting to empty it. Well I really struggled, caught 6 roach - 3 small ones and 3 gooduns. Couldn't get a bite on wheat, hemp or pasta. Had one fish taken by a pike. One angler passed by who was perching, no other anglers and no boats.

Everywhere is NOT rammed.

john step

Reaction score
Not rammed for me either today!
Club lake to myself and out of the strong wind down the bank.
Two pike to popped up dead rudd. 5lb and 15lb 9ozs.
Surprised I had no interest on lamprey.

Now I am having trouble with Postimages .com
I am doing as I always have done and zilch! Will try again.

18 nov 19lb 9oz.JPG

Last edited:

tommos16

Reaction score
A friend and I went to Lymm Dam today, hoping to get amongst the big Pike. Of course, all we caught was the cold and a big fat blank.

We tried several swims on what is a really picturesque, large and deep water. At one stage I had baits 30ft deep, and later at 6ft up against the dam wall.

There have been several 30's taken from amongst what I've been lead to believe is a large head of Jacks but nothing fancied the Lamprey head sections injected with Eel blood.

The type of water that I'm not sure any watercraft could really influence, with it being so vast, it seems to me to be a lottery win to catch but its early days. Will definitely have another few pops, I'd be shocked if eventually we don't get amongst a few fish.

Next plan is Lloyds meadow, Frodsham, for larger stripeys on Sunday. Fingers crossed

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
One of the clubs I am in up north west ( LAC) has around 2000 members, Its a good job these 2000 members dont decide to go fishing all at once, otherwise the lanes leading to the waters would be gridlocked,
I have never failed to get a peg on the water I chose to fish. Even when I have bailiffed 12 waters on a saturday or sunday, I could have them all done in hour and a half, and that was chatting to a few as I checked their cards.
I am not rejoining it next year after 35 years in it. They have put oap membership up from £45 to £75 , I cant justify paying that for the ammount of times I fished their waters, Also they are trying to create a club within a club , a sort of syndicate on a couple of waters for carp anglers.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
A friend and I went to Lymm Dam today, hoping to get amongst the big Pike. Of course, all we caught was the cold and a big fat blank.

We tried several swims on what is a really picturesque, large and deep water. At one stage I had baits 30ft deep, and later at 6ft up against the dam wall.

There have been several 30's taken from amongst what I've been lead to believe is a large head of Jacks but nothing fancied the Lamprey head sections injected with Eel blood.

The type of water that I'm not sure any watercraft could really influence, with it being so vast, it seems to me to be a lottery win to catch but its early days. Will definitely have another few pops, I'd be shocked if eventually we don't get amongst a few fish.

Next plan is Lloyds meadow, Frodsham, for larger stripeys on Sunday. Fingers crossed

Fish prawn in the margins on Badger pool.
As for the Dam a lot of big pike used to come out from the first couple of pegs below the church.
Are these 30's been actually seen and photographed or is it backside chat, ?
That is a fair size fish for Lymm Dam

tommos16

Reaction score
Fish prawn in the margins on Badger pool.
As for the Dam a lot of big pike used to come out from the first couple of pegs below the church.

Will do exactly that! I wanted to get in the church swims but ended up opposite on the dam wall. Early bird catches the swims and all that. Great coffee van though and dare I say it, plenty of yummy Cheshire mummies haha! I’m on the waiting list for Lymm anglers club next year, Wigan isn’t scratching the itch. Aside from cost, would you recommend?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tommos16

Reaction score
I’ve seen two pictures from 2019 Mark where if they’re not 30’s, they’re undoubtedly upper 20’s. Both from the church swims

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ian g

Reaction score

Have a word with Bob (Pikerwoods) he fished there loads of times Lloyds I mean