How did you get on?

Clodhopper

Reaction score
Returned to the same spot as yesterday - this time armed with flake and maggot. The river was a tad lower and looked better for it but the result was the same - one small roach that looked embarassed to be my only victim.

I think there may have been a pike in the swim and I would like to have a try for it tomorrow. However, Mrs C. made comments, on my return, about having spent the afternoon tidying the house. So I may be forced to cook the Sunday chicken.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

ian g

Reaction score
Fished the Severn below Shrewsbury yesterday , lazy start arriving at 11 . The river is falling but was still well up but I fished a nice slack . After only around 20 minutes I had a bite on lob worm , the float bobbing a couple of times before sliding off . A decent fight and a nice fish a chub 4.9 . I was after perch but to be fair any fish in these conditions was a bonus . I tried a few more spots before returning for the last hour or so and had another bite from a pike around 6 lb . No perch but 2 fish so no complaints from me. River dropping rapidly so I'll be out tomorrow.

rubio

Reaction score
Paid a visit to a small weirpool yesterday and actually caught something. A nice looking Rudd around 10 Oz's on flake immediately. Plenty of signs suggesting fish about but not grabbing it at all when static. Couple more roach on float later. River looking perfect just now so will try to make more of it.

ian g

Reaction score
Short session this afternoon , a bit shorter than planned as I had to go and buy a landing net after leaving mine at home. Dropped into a favourite swim fishing lob worms . I had a bite after around ten minutes which resulted in a chub around 4 1/2 lb . Unfortunately that was that fish wise.

peterjg

Reaction score
As I am a bit of an anorak I counted up the times I went fishing last year - 108 times including only one night session all after roach. Blanked 3 times. Caught loads of roach, biggest roach last year was 1lb 13ozs.

Accidental catches included carp to 24lbs 1oz, chub to 4lbs 15oz, PB brown trout to 4lbs 13oz, perch to 2lbs 5oz, crucian to 2lbs 5oz (on the same day my wife caught a 3lbs 2oz crucian), bream to 8lbs, tench to 5lbs 7oz, plus silver bream, minnows, dace, bleak, jack pike, gudgeon - alas not a single barbel. One day last summer when fishing the Thames I lost an absolutely enormous perch which grabbed a roach I was landing. I saw it clearly in the clear water, far, far bigger than the 3 lbers I have caught! Surely there's a lesson there somewhere, deliberately try to catch roach and end up catching everything else by accident!

I fished far too many different lakes, searching for a big roach water. Last year fished 10 lakes, 4 different rivers and 2 different canals.

Today fished the river Kennet, yes for roach for a change! Blanked, not even a bite!

Pete Shears

Reaction score
Sunday morning was spent on the upper Soar after anything which wanted to feed. The level was down,colour good and pace just about right. Started with trotting flake on a wider slower bend whilst chatting with a dog walker on the opposite bank. He wandered off attempting to wear out his border collie, no chance. The float disappeared,I thought I had snagged the bottom but it kicked and started fighting and eventually had a chub of 4lb 2oz in the net. Carried on and did snag the bottom ,lots of pulling etc I had landed 2ft of fence planking which fought hard in the current. Moving upstream ,I had a brown trout of 1lb 8oz on legered crust, trying other swims did not increase the catch.
Out on the Wreake this morning which had risen since Friday and going like a supercharged washing machine, cold NE wind but still managed 2 dace and a roach,all on legered worm,then the rain set in . . . . .might try again somewhere on Wednesday.

Andy1990

Reaction score
Managed a few hours yesterday on the river, which has been fishing very hard recently - at least for myself anyway. Level has fined off nicely however and despite temperatures struggling to get above freezing all day I was hopeful of a change in fortunes. Targeting anything that swims but hoping for Chub I set about dropping into as many swims as I could over around a mile of river or so; fishing liquidised bread and flake on the hook, with lob worms and maggots also in the bag. I was joined for a good 10 minutes by a Heron who didn’t notice me in one of the swims - he didn’t catch either. A Kingfisher flashed by a couple of times as well which was nice. It was looking like another blank on a very cold day until I dropped into one last swim where I must have landed on a few bream shoaling. I don’t catch many bream at all from this river and so was more than pleasantly surprised to land 4 within around 15 minutes at last light and into the darkness. The biggest was nudging 5lbs and all gave good accounts of themselves - for a fleeting second when I saw the first fish roll in the poor light I thought I was into a very big chub and my heart skipped for a moment. Enjoyable afternoon and maybe the last for some time by the looks of things, and definitely the happiest I’ve ever been to see some bream.
9CFDE3F2-A918-4CF9-AB86-9AA2A640BC91.jpeg
BDED7A59-66D5-47E3-BD61-249B8B163BF3.jpeg

tommos16

Reaction score
Been fishing very hard for the three of us who know it as well Andy, not a sniff again today and I havent heard of anything coming out except for yours in the last week - well in mate!!

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

bullet

Reaction score
Had a few maggots to use up so headed out this morning with the float rod after a Chub.
It's a 15 minute walk or 10 minute drive to the spot, I chose to drive as I would avoid meeting any dog walkers.
I'm the only person that fishes the spot and no one else has access, the landowner is also happy for me to carry on fishing at the moment.
Just thought I'd clear that up in advance..?
Any how, it was slow going , the first spot did at least produce a bite which I connected with but it soon fell off, but any sign of life is a positive at the moment.
I was just about to call it a day in spot 2, when the float buried right by the raft at the bottom of the swim and a nice looking Chub of about 2 .5 lb was soon in the net.

IMG_20210108_121314316.jpg

ian g

Reaction score
Nice chub , you can copy and paste the first paragraph for future reports. ;) . Can't wait to look back on the Forum in a few years time and wonder what was going on

Philip

Reaction score
Less of a lockdown for me so to keep the thread ticking along...

With levels rising on the rivers, I went to a little stream were I know the Roach will often seek refuge. Access is not easy, although its not far from civilization it’s a little oasis tucked away in a densely wooded area requiring a lot of care to avoid a broken rod tip as you attempt to navigate through the dense trees & undergrowth.

River (3).jpg

It’s a lovely little place, I had kingfishers whizzing up & down and a pair of Herons glided in to squawk at each other from a tree top while a woodpecker was hammering away just above me. I have even had a wild boar almost walk into me here in the past, I was sitting low & it didn’t see me until the last second. I don’t know who was more surprised, me or it ! The river itself is tiny; just a few feet wide with much of it shallow & fast with a few deeper bends & it was on one of these that I settled in for a few casts.

The 8 foot DV rod is ideal for this type of thing...
River&rod (3).jpg

Usually I trot a little float with bread or maggots which guarantees bites from hordes of Roach around the 2 to 5oz mark with the occasional better fish.I always felt at the right time of year there could be a very good one tucked away somewhere but getting through the masses of small ones was always going to be the challenge. Today rather than the float I wanted to try something out. Setting up a tiny link ledger I flicked out a small version of a setup I had been using on the main river. I could feel tugs and trembles almost instantly as the bait was attacked which I ignored. Eventually I had a firm enough pull to strike and the little rod went into its fighting curve as a good Roach put up a spirited scrap. This was repeated twice more in the next hour to finish the short session with just 3 Roach but they were all far bigger than the usual average here & nice fish for such a tiny water.

Roach1 (3).jpg

Roach2 (4).jpg

Roach3 (3).jpg

Its given me allot of food for thought. I will certainly be going back for another try.

tommos16

Reaction score
A good day today, which is rare this time of year. A friend and I had a pair of Chub then five pike between us, Chub on maggots then Pike on lives. Caught and caught again from basically the only part of the canal not frozen.

First run came 2 minutes after the bait went in, all 5 were landed within the hour. Big confidence booster, my first few fish in about a month!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

chevin4

Reaction score
A good day today, which is rare this time of year. A friend and I had a pair of Chub then five pike between us, Chub on maggots then Pike on lives. Caught and caught again from basically the only part of the canal not frozen.

First run came 2 minutes after the bait went in, all 5 were landed within the hour. Big confidence booster, my first few fish in about a month!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Welldone honest .Went for a walk today conditions seemed ideal now its turned milder. Fishing is not an option at the moment so rather than thinking what might be I am getting stuck into those DIY jobs which the missus has lined up for me

john step

Reaction score
No fishing . No river within lock down distance and the lakes have a lid on. We did do some remedial work to the otter fence though. Most important. I must not get too angry. Its not good for oneself. I had altercation on this private land with a jogger who thought it OK to run round the lake, denying there were any signs despite running past two very clearly displayed.
GRRRRR!