How did you get on?

mikench

Reaction score
It's isn't often er indoors tells me to go fishing. It must have been my hangdog bored expression brought on by lockdown, the weather and exacerbated by the footie last night. With a forecast set for much colder weather next week and with a fine day in prospect, i set off rather gleefully.

IMG_9122.JPG

There were 3 others fishing as I loaded my chair and barrow kit. I chose my favourite peg on the newer lake which was all to myself. I set up the Sphere, Stradic and a 20 hook to 2lb and earnestly picked through my miserable and comatose maggots for any which looked lively. I needn't have bothered. Not a nibble on anything. Surprisingly I wasn't unduly dismayed. I tested out a few of my Christmas and birthday presents namely a Peacock hand warmer and a new flask. Both met my expectations. My new Preston Monster landing net handle wasn't troubled but looks and feels like quality kit.

Interestingly the bailiff arrived , a youngish bloke i know, and he sent the other 3 packing. As he approached me he confirmed that all 3 were from at least 15 miles away and were thus not local. The club had promised the farmer who owns the water that they would try and ensure that all members complied with the local rule. The water was under ice until Tuesday and nobody had caught all week. I should have read the runes and gone home then but I was in the fresh air, having a picnic and enjoying the day. Shame about the fishing but c'est la vie.

Pete Shears

Reaction score
A morning on the Wreake with the level still high, flowing faster than normal and muddy coloured but the first cast with legered crust caught a chub of 2lb 12oz in the brilliant sunshine and then nothing. Tried flake,worm,cheesepaste, even running a float through a back eddy. Only a buzzard and a white egret to watch along with the smaller birds as well as crows,rooks and jackdaws. Have not seen a kingfisher yet this autumn/winter, I hope they are on the streams and stillwaters. Went exploring and came across a mass of scales which I assumed to have come from a chub that had been ottered.

ian g

Reaction score
I managed a couple of hours on my local canal , I hadn't fished since 2nd Jan as the Severn is to far away to be local. I kept things simple just a lobworm under a small bobber float . I was fishing right next to Whixall Moss and saw and heard numerous birds but didn't have any interest from the inhabitants of the canal .I think I'll adopt a more mobile approach and see if I can find a few fish next time..

mikench

Reaction score
Indeed but my comments relate to the complete silence and lack of smells all year round. Maybe the sheds are very well insulated against noise.

seth49

Reaction score
Who knows what’s in them nowadays, one chap had his farm raided by the police over here, the cabins contained stolen vehicles etc, plus a plant for making bio diesel.

john step

Reaction score
Grabbed a third day this week on a local pool before the impending weather warning becomes a reality. Its very small but about 8 to 9 feet deep .
Long rod/pin/pole float. Bites all day on dead flouro pinkie and redworm.
Many roach,rudd and perch and 7 mirrors to about 6 lb. One can't wish for more in the winter during lockdown?
No photo as all the carp look the same as previous posts.

I did have one of those "would you believe it" moments. I re plumbed with a swan shot clamped about an inch above the hook with no bait on and immediately got a take. At first I presumed it was a foul hooker but no the carp was cleanly mouth hooked.

I wonder if Mr Fairbrass would consider marketing this new bait.:eek:

Pete Shears

Reaction score
Another trip to the Wreake this morning under cloudy skies. Walking across the fields the sun burst through and a mist descended for about 10 minutes. A buzzard flapped through the mist having been walking the field and there was a white egret on the river too.
Nothing doing in yesterdays successful swim, tried three different swims but the river had dropped about a foot overnight but was now rising again slowly seemed devoid of fish. Eventually it was back to the car and drive about half a mile and try a swim near to where I found the scales yesterday.
Managed to get two chub to 1lb 2oz on legered flake, saved a blank.

xenon

Reaction score
Another trip to the Wreake this morning under cloudy skies. Walking across the fields the sun burst through and a mist descended for about 10 minutes. A buzzard flapped through the mist having been walking the field and there was a white egret on the river too.
Nothing doing in yesterdays successful swim, tried three different swims but the river had dropped about a foot overnight but was now rising again slowly seemed devoid of fish. Eventually it was back to the car and drive about half a mile and try a swim near to where I found the scales yesterday.
Managed to get two chub to 1lb 2oz on legered flake, saved a blank.
As a Leicester lad the Wreake was my boyhood river-small river roving is still my favourite method. Which bit(s) of the Wreake are you fishing Pete? My haunts were around Hoby/Brookby.

Roger Johnson 2

Reaction score
I had lost my fishing mojo through Jan, thanks to cold temperatures and then rising river levels, but with mild weather forecast for the day I made my way over to the Lot region to a little lake I knew wouldn’t be suffering from high water levels and should be enjoying a rising water temperature.
I set up a pole to fish at around 9 metres, a cage feeder at around 30 metres and a sleeper rod alternating a big lump of smelly cheese and bunch of worms in the margins in the hope of a patrolling carp, tench or bass. Missed a couple of bites on the feeder on the first two casts then nothing for a couple of hours, then just as I started to pack up to try a new swim , the feeder went off with a rudd of 1lb 13, so staying put say a slow but steady stream of bites over the next 3 hours giving me 6 rudd between 1.07 and 2.09, gorgeous fish tho’ a little washed out due to cloudy water conditions, with those following on from the huge fish I had in the autumn, I think I might have found myself a little goldmine.
Fishing mojo restored.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Managed a couple of hours today, weather was glorious and my mate came down and we chewed the fat for a couple of hours sat on a bench. First fishing for months and It was nice to be getting the feel again. Three fish, rubbish really but at least the rod got a good old knock. Two Three Bearded Rockling and one skinny starved Whiting. Just the carp rod, a oz. weight and a three hook flapper trace. Frozen lug worm that had been in the fridge for a week so not the best bait and fishing low water up, in only a few foot of water.
No wonder the whiting looked half starved look how that Rockling gobbles the bait, greedy fish, they will swallow anything, I have had them swallow hooks three times the size of their gob, I hate the things, slimy little beggars. A nice plaice, dab or bass wouldn't have gone amiss.
100_0706.JPG
100_0708.JPG
100_0711.JPG

rubio

Reaction score
I've been out trying but failing for roach lately. Yesterday finally brought a few bites in the 2 hours I had.
20210205_161046.jpg

This one at 1.06 my best.
Do I get a "I'm better than Bailey badge"?
All on maggot despite feeding bread. 4gm float on whip held steady in back eddy. Good to have anything to report.

barbelboi

Reaction score
I took a stroll over the back fields yesterday afternoon for a couple of hours small river trotting. It was quite mild, no wind with sunny periods/ white cloud and decided to trot a couple of swims where I had spotted fish recently. I was loaded up with the Accy Ultra, pin, net small bag of bits and some 50/50 for flake. Fished from 1-3 for 11 roach and a couple of chub...with colder weather forecast for next week I’ll probably limit my time to spotting rather than fishing ‘til after next weekend.......
rivise5feb21.JPG
5feb21.JPG