How did you get on?

seth49

Reaction score
Another pond yesterday on our other club ticket, our usual water was closed for grass cutting etc, nice little pond set in woodland and not far away, usual coarse fish with some nice tench and small carp, got me thinking as I’m sat looking at it, that I’d like to fetch my cane rod and pin next time, it’s ideal for it.

Anyway just rigged my pole up and one top kit, little 4 x 10 float and 4 lb line with a size 16 on a three pound hook length, fed some groundbait and fished maggots or expanders for bait.

First fish a roach and then lost a tench about two pounds, had a small crucian after and then landed a tench, had another crucian later and then mainly small roach and gudgeon.

Not as hot as Tuesday thankfully, and more cloud which helped, enjoyable little session I will fish this again,
Lots of damsel flies about and a few dragon flies as well, lots of birdsong from the trees as well.
AD1A45C9-C6BF-4EA0-B612-CC0E67353204.jpeg
A29BE11A-EBD7-4AE5-8F90-4AB62F67F242.jpeg
A0CB4784-D396-4A4B-81BB-CC5BAA76E5F6.jpeg
888D900D-EBF0-4F62-A6C3-C845FAAF8B4C.jpeg

chevin4

Reaction score
It was great to get out on the banks yesterday having not been for a couple of weeks. I opted to go to a very popular day fishing venue thankfully the promised bad weather did not materialise and the conditions weren't to bad although it was apparent the fish were still spawning. It was nice to do some short range fishing for a change and managed to catch a spawned out 8lb 1oz Tench and Perch about 1lb 8oz on dedrabena.
20210617_151740.jpg

mikench

Reaction score
Gordon and I returned to the tench lake of last week with high hopes. I arrived at 6.30 and the car park was nearly full and our preferred pegs and next preference were all taken.

IMG_0157.JPG

We set up in adjacent pegs some way before those from last week and I started with a DV rod with a GB feeder with maggot on a 30cm hook length of 6lb supplex to a 14 Guru OM1 hook. Gordon float fished . There were 6 other anglers alternating between a feeder and a float rod. It was slow going and I hadn't had a nibble. The other 6 anglers all left around 11.30 having caught nothing from 5.00 am. Gordon was catching the odd fish. He caught a nice little tench, his first for 3 years, and a crucian. Finally , having switched to a float rod, I had a nice roach around 6oz and a perch of a similar size. My peg had a large tree at one side and above which made casting awkward to say the least and after one tangle too many , I put the float rod away and switched to the GB feeder with my bait of last resort ; a choc orange wafter.

This was the only other fish caught but a pleasant surprise as the large bronze bream were supposed to have died out.

IMG_0159.JPG

I had lost hope so initiated Murphy' s Law no 7 and packed up my landing net. Gordon kindly did the honours. Cheers Gordon for a pleasant days fishing in a lovely spot. It was the first time in a while that we conducted conversations when we were not visible to each other.

Last edited:

wetthrough

Reaction score
Cheers Gordon for a pleasant days fishing in a lovely spot. It was the first time in a while that we conducted conversations when we were not visible to each other.
A most enjoyable day thanks Mike although a few more fish wouldn't have come amiss. Stuck at it for another half hour picking up another hybrid, a Roach and one Rudd.

Had this earlier in the day but not quite sure what it is. I've referred to them as Crucians in the past
CM_Crucian_20210618_123303.jpg

Surprise catch was a tiny ~4oz tench. The Tench that do come out are generally 3lb+ . Sorry no pic of the Tench. I swung it in and it was all I could do to keep hold of it to unhook it and they say eels are slippery. Good to see they're breeding.

Keith M

Reaction score
Whether it is 100% Crucian or not might be debatable to some but It certainly looks like a Crucian to me; with its ‘bar of gold’ colouring and 32 to 34 scales along its lateral line and the rounded and shallow indented tail fin (can’t see its dorsal fin) and it’s lack of any barbules and it’s body shape.(y)

I would call it a Crucian anyway; Nice one.

Keith

Last edited:

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
First time out for me in over two months. My wife had a TIA earlier in the year and she is now over it. I have had a frozen shoulder to contend with. I had an early start lure fishing in the river Eden.

My first fish was actually smaller than the lure, which goes to show what aggressive little beggars they are. I had two pike on spinner baits and another perch of about 8 ounces. The pike went around 4lb and 7lb. I unhooked them in the net and put them straight back. I called it a day about midday. I think it was slow because of the rain which coloured the water and had it pushing through.

It is a beautiful place to fish, I saw the obligatory kingfisher and a flock of goldfinches which was nice.

f0ab261cd6463ec39e92fc743ce8a0e6.jpg

cdaeefdbcefae13e5dddccf34f86b7f1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikench

Reaction score
Perch amaze me. Did you have the procedure with the unpronounceable name Ray for the frozen shoulder ? I had it done about 7 years ago and so far so good.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Perch amaze me. Did you have the procedure with the unpronounceable name Ray for the frozen shoulder ? I had it done about 7 years ago and so far so good.

No, I presently have both a knee problem and a frozen shoulder. I’m on a physio programme for both.

mikench

Reaction score
Its called hydrodilation Ray. Physio and hydrocortizone injections failed to work.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I will perceiver with the physio Mike. I’ve not tried the injections yet. It came on during lockdown. I was training in catch wrestling twice a week before that and it was fine then.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Went yesterday to a new clubs lake,had six carp off the top between 6 and 8lbs,a tench around two pounds,around ten rudd between 6-8ozs,four roach of a similar ilk and a perch of similar size,all on float fished meat14mm cubes),I packed early bloody frozen,I didn't take a fleece(I haven't for weeks now,forecast said 18°,yeah right?

Last edited:

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
First river fixture of this season. The Thames at Windsor. Coloured and pushing a bit after the recent wet spell,
E8F58152-14A6-4C1D-B3D5-B2F1BE0C5B69.jpeg

A 5gr sliding waggler for out in the flow on the 15’ rod and 17’ Aco with 5bb stick float. Filled the waggler line in at the start, 10 big balls of sticky gb. Went straight on the stick float and first short run through with maggot and a good bite, a 6oz roach…
Alternating between maggot and caster on the 18 wide gape produced dace, a perch, skimmers, hybrids, chub and roach. The peg was a bit of a parrot cage so the trot with the stick was agonisingly short and deep…

2CF41D2B-7135-4C14-8EBF-A597FCBBAA40.jpeg

Big chublet.

Ended up with 4:8:0, all on the inside stick, which was a section win and second overall…4:13:0 won it…4:6:0 third.

9F267BF2-C7B2-4235-92F5-58420B5F6009.jpeg

bullet

Reaction score
Saturday out for the first time on the river with the stick and maggots, pretty much as expected, loads of small Chub to about a pound, a solitary Dace of about 9 inches and a few Brownies.
Out on a club stretch today with the fly gear and had some really nice dry fly fishing, they were well on the Black Gnat, and a #16 black klinkhamer was working well. Plenty of fish coming to hand up to about 11 inch, and plenty pricked or missed, a couple of which were certainly much better fish.

Pete Shears

Reaction score
Back out on the Wreake early on yesterday with Fridays rain creating more flow and fish activity but now had rafts of blanket weed drifting in the current and back eddys to contend with.At least it was cool and overcast unlike Wednesday. Soon had a chub of 2lb 4oz on the bank followed by a hand sized chublet. Switched to a float and worm close in and had five hand sized perch. As the clouds lifted and it became brighter the activity slowed. Not seen a kingfisher yet but a white egret,kestrel,a pair of ravens and a hare racing away from me were adequate compensation.

Reaction score
First river fixture of this season. The Thames at Windsor. Coloured and pushing a bit after the recent wet spell, View attachment 15611

A 5gr sliding waggler for out in the flow on the 15’ rod and 17’ Aco with 5bb stick float. Filled the waggler line in at the start, 10 big balls of sticky gb. Went straight on the stick float and first short run through with maggot and a good bite, a 6oz roach…
Alternating between maggot and caster on the 18 wide gape produced dace, a perch, skimmers, hybrids, chub and roach. The peg was a bit of a parrot cage so the trot with the stick was agonisingly short and deep…

View attachment 15612

Big chublet.

Ended up with 4:8:0, all on the inside stick, which was a section win and second overall…4:13:0 won it…4:6:0 third.

View attachment 15613

You had a few had a few 'pommies'(silver bream)then Simon,I do like those,haven't caught one for donkeys years....

mikench

Reaction score
As I was up early and Er indoors had no plans until later , I thought I would have a few hours fishing.i went to my
IMG_0177.JPG
usual haunt arriving at 6.30. I wanted to try out the bivvy table which the wide pegs can easily accommodate. It's sturdy, holds everything and keeps things tidy. It's perfect for a good few venues. I also used a new chair for the first time and a floater rod bought for me for Father's Day.

IMG_0179.JPG

I didn't think I would get anything as it was windy, overcast and surprisingly chilly. I surprised myself by getting 3 commons like the above all around 6lb and a mirror just short of 10lb all on bread. The rod ( A kodex Si 11'8") was perfect and I enjoyed the experIence . I mainly feeder fished and took one main bait, namely ,and as recommended by Alan, some Mainline Cell 8mm pellets and cell micros. It was a bite a cast and I caught 3 common, 5 F1's, 4 crucians and 7 skimmers. Was it the pellets or just coincidence. Everyone was caught on them so I'm hooked. All in all it was a fun 5 hours or so but cold.