How did you get on?

mikench

Reaction score
I had a few unproductive hours on the beach along with 3 others Frenchmen each with 4 rods out and none of us caught a thing.

IMG_1124.JPG

My cocktails baits, prawns and squid stank to high heaven but didn't induce a bite. I set up two rods only to discover on the second one that the handle screw on the reel, an Agility Surf seventy, had fallen off so I couldn't tighten the reel handle. I spent another unproductive half hour trying to find it to no avail. Very annoying. I shall see if I can get a spare somewhere.

The billowing clouds are over the Alps and threaten heavy rain if they descend. I came away just in case. It was hot though in the sun even with a parasol. A cooling dip was very welcome.

Philip

Reaction score
Some super fish being caught fellas. Well done.

Special mention to Alan/Whitty ..cracking Roach ! ....thats a corker.

.....out of interest River or Lake ?

Hugh Bailey

Reaction score
I had a few unproductive hours on the beach along with 3 others Frenchmen each with 4 rods out and none of us caught a thing.

View attachment 17020

My cocktails baits, prawns and squid stank to high heaven but didn't induce a bite. I set up two rods only to discover on the second one that the handle screw on the reel, an Agility Surf seventy, had fallen off so I couldn't tighten the reel handle. I spent another unproductive half hour trying to find it to no avail. Very annoying. I shall see if I can get a spare somewhere.

The billowing clouds are over the Alps and threaten heavy rain if they descend. I came away just in case. It was hot though in the sun even with a parasol. A cooling dip was very welcome.
When we were there a while back, maybe 1 or 2 km further east, whilst my daughter was laying on rubber ring maybe 20 feet our and 4 or 5 foot dept, there were some massive attacks of predatory fish, more like Florida than France. We never saw what it was, I would have guessed tuna but too shallow. If there were jacks or barracuda in The med I would have gone with this. The only Fish I saw people catch were the small bream on poles from the rocky groynes.

Pete Shears

Reaction score
It was still dark when I arrived at the local feeder reservoir this morning,mist slowly rising from the surface and a bit of a chill in the air reminding me that autumn is nearly here.Two method feeder rods,esterberry boilie next to a weed bed and plastic corn on the other a long range.
The rh rod next to the weed bed roared off and I thought it was a tench but it was a roach that had been grabbed by a pike which then let go - the roach swam off ok but I bet the pike was waiting for it. Recasting saw a roach which was ignored by any nearby pike, the other rod may as well have been in the quiver.
About 8.30 the tench arrived - male at 5lb 3oz, female at 5lb 6oz, male at 3lb 10oz and finally another male at 4lb 1oz - all on 10mm esterberry, all fought like crazy and harder than some carp I have netted.
Eventually the long range rod woke up with a skimmer of about 10oz.

nottskev

Reaction score
With a grand total of one bite last time out, I thought I'd try and get a few on the old canal. I set up a short way from the car park where a row of bushes gives you a good distance to the next peg.

Oc12.jpg

I was surprised when a car pulled up beside me on the towpath/track, but it was a bloke I knew from the club and he told me we're now allowed to drive up towards the previously barely fished length, so that opens up some interesting swims I'd never have walked to. I set up two rigs as per usual. Plan A, fishing corn, caster or pellet on the bottom for bream, F1's and crucians; plan B maggot fished a foot or so deep for ide, chublets and roach. Bright sunshine and flat calm meant Plan A didn't produce a bite, despite giving it a try at intervals, but the small fish inn the top layer made up for it. The light gear - .08, 20 hook, no.3 elastic - made catching fish like these ide and roach fun

oc14.jpg

oc 15.jpg

And keeping them coming changing depth, shot and feeding is quite absorbing.

oc16.jpg

When I packed up, I walked down to see where the chap in the car had got to, and found him catching roach in a swim that looked to have been last fished last century, so I'm pleased to have a new bit to go at on the disused canal.

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
It's been a long summer with unusually variable weather here along the river Lot. Probably summer is the poorest season for fishing and it's probably due to river temperatures above ideal for barbel. An increase in tourist visitors at the low water beaches has not helped, I have to get up too early to avoid them!

Apart from a 13lb carp early summer all I have caught is small barbel up to 3lb. A couple of weeks ago an evening session brought a dozen baby barbel on 12mm boilies, the heavier rod with bigger baits remained unmoved the whole session!

So no recent fishy pictures - sorry!

Sally and I are just back from a camping trip to Roquebrun, about a 4 hour drive from our home and not far from the Med. Met up with friends camping there and had a good time, but my only evening free for fishing was wrecked when a monstrous thunder storm hit us just as I was sorting my tackle. Such is an anglers luck!

But here are some photos of the river Orb which has lovely trout in the upper reaches along the foothills of the Massif Central.....

Orbe suspension.jpg

Lower reaches have barbel and carp, this swim in Roquebrun had a lovely flow and looked about 2 metres depth between the weed.....

Roquebrun fishing.jpg

Lovely little town, downstream looked good for trout.......

Roquebrun evening.jpg

Wish I could report some fish, maybe after my next visit?

silvers

Reaction score
This write up is over a week late, because I went on holiday the next morning.

Fourth round of the Barford League on the Warwickshire Avon, same section (old bridge to Sherborne confluence). river still low and clear ... on its knees really! certainly much lower than when I last drew this peg, on the last day of the early summer festival match. The bad news was that this peg had been in the bottom 3 of the section on every round of the league thus far, with weights around the 3-4 pound mark.
I fished my usual hemp and caster, after catching a few very small chopped worm fish (perch) early on. I didn’t repeat the same error as the previous round ... I started off fishing a heavier bulk down which helped to pick out the odd better dace ... but it was desperately slow going really.
By the end of the match I’d mustered a paltry 6 pounds and 10 ounces managing just three roach on my banker of hemp (it really seems to have stopped working in the last month on the Avon) ... but that was enough to beat all around me convincingly (all less than 4 pounds) and surprisingly I also beat all bar one of the form pegs at the top of the section. Unfortunately my second in section was by far the best in the team sheet, so we slumped to sixth on the day and now trail both Cadence and Smithy’s.

rayner

Reaction score
With my state of befuddlement still going on, I'm running out of ideas. :unsure:
Bomb and pellet yesterday with a little success but not really what I expect from water undoubtedly loaded fish. I did change to a small method with no success.
I had nine carp around 4 to 5lb, far too long between bites. If there is one thing that drives me mental it is a lack of action. (n)
Try again Wednesday.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Just for a change Ray, I had a bit of action. 3 mackerel. However the highlight of the day was a bass rising to my lure just as it got near the pier just beyond those piles and I hooked him, it looked stunned at first and he came to below the pier quite easily and then he woke up, I let him fight for a bit and then tried to haul him up and he got off. I reckon about 3lb but that's 3lb bigger than what I have been catching lately. My first bass on a lure, the sight of him coming up and taking the lure in the clear water gave the old tick tock a few moments. Some soused mackerel for dinner tonight; fun on a carp rod and just a single lure. Look at this bloke getting wound up around the pylons with 3 or 4 of them on, I shouldn't have taken a picture really but he did not see me, just not sensible some people.
No seal today but a few Sandwich Terns about in ones and twos, must be migrating about now.
P1000234.JPG
P1000237.JPG
P1000236.JPG

Last edited:

Pete Shears

Reaction score
Another visit to the local reservoir this morning before heading for Devon on Thursday for a loong weekend.
Ten common egrets and two great whites patrolling the margins, some fighting over a few square yards on a 45 acre water . . .
Fish wise it was slower than yesterday with just a couple of roach on the esterberry 10mms and the longer range plastic corn eventually started to produce some real bream, five in all, around the four pound mark and one skimmer.
Esterberry had another roach and a female tench of 3lb 8oz before packing up just before 1pm.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Boy am I glad I didn't opt for a go at the crucians today. If I had I'd have got stuck in that stupid protest as there is no way of getting there without using the A3. Luckily I'd thought of that so opted for what may well be my last go at the Aquadrome tench.

Tried caster instead of dead maggot as feed with a sprinkling of corn and fished rubber casters and rubber corn. Not a touch all morning so off with the corn and on with a bunch of dead reds. 1st chuck and off it went....6lb exactly. I promptly swapped the other rod to maggot and 30 mins or so later away it went again...great scrap 5lb 10oz.

Then that bar$tard boat came out even though it shouldnt have been out today. For once however he was keeping well out and not bothering me too much.....until the git had a run inside the bouys and ( in my view) quite deliberatley did a hard right turn right over my baits. What an utter ar$ehole that bloke truly is.....one day I will deck him and sink his bloody boat.

Needless to say I never had another touch after that. It is so frustrating as clearly a pod of fish had moved in and stopped on my bait before scattering when Ahab came out.

5-10 and 6-0.....bit of a old warrior that one.

Attachments

• IMG_3320.jpg
    IMG_3320.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 56
  • IMG_3319.jpg
    IMG_3319.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 53

wetthrough

Reaction score
Fished Goose Green Farm Tuesday, it's a day ticket and Bay Malton club concession. 4 pools, 3 of which @mikench and I have fished. Decided to fish the fourth, newest and largest. I'd no idea what if anything was in there. Only seen one other angler on it in the last four times at the venue. It's not the most inviting of pools being a bit featureless and open. According to the owner there are Barbel, Tench, Bream, Roach and Ide. Speaking to her later on I was told Tench had been caught in recent weeks.

GGTP.jpg

Turns out it's quite deep. 9'2" at around 12/15M. The banks are rather high which always makes sinking a waggler line a bit awkward they're also on a slope right down to the edge, not ideal. Put some GB in which on reflection might not have been the best approach, the water was gin clear. Pulling reasonable Roach out from the start. Nothing massive but generally a good size 4/5oz and no micro fish apart from 2 Perch later on. Bites weren't coming from over the GB, mostly a bit further out but at least I was getting bites. Had about 15 good sized Gudgeon, one hybrid, a Perch of a few oz the rest being Roach. Decide to catch last fish around 3:30, started to pack things away and noticed the clicker was at 49. Huh, can't have that, most untidy so sat for one more to make it 50.

mikench

Reaction score
Well done Gordon for trying it. It is a featureless expanse of water but worth a try. The fish were stocked in 2019 so have had 2 years or so to develop and prosper and it may be they have.

rayner

Reaction score
Persevered with bomb and pellet, did a little better but not much. I am still blaming the shielding protocol that was forced on me through the lockdown.
The venue looked to be not fishing well with anglers sat starring at the water apart from one chap on the opposite bank who fished what looked a method with groundbait. He at least doubled my catch giving the impression that fish were feeding. Back next week, I am fixed on cracking it.