How many rods do you own (be honest)

tommos16

Reaction score
I'm curious, how many rods do you own? And of those, how many do you actually put into active service?

I have 9 (and have only been fishing a year), of which I use four regularly. But I like the options I have in my arsenal:

2 Quivertip rods (8ft and 10ft, various tips)
1 Barbel rod (12ft, 1.75lb, good for the carp as well)
2 carp rods (10ft/12ft, 2.75lb but one of which is a Korum triology rod so gives me a lot of options)
2 dropshotting rods of various casting strength (6ft and 7ft long)
1 lure rods ( 8ft for casting heavier Pike Lures)
1 all round float rod (12ft)

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

tommos16

Reaction score
See I play golf, and I thought the temptation of new golf clubs was strong. This is a different level haha

tommos16

Reaction score
At the current rate I'm going, I'm either going to be single in the coming years or I'm going to have more rods than angling direct. No regrets. Though we did have our first argument today over how many I've got lying round the flat

Aknib

Reaction score
I'm very rational with my rods, nine cover all of my fishing and that's including a pair of deadbait rods.

I've just sold two which never saw the light of day and i'll try and keep to the nine from now on, too much choice just confuses me and makes for arduous decisions. I'm struggling to see how I could need another but that doesn't take into account the 'want' aspect.

Those that I have consist of:

13' light float rod
13' specimen float rod
15' float rod
10' ultralite bomb rod
12' all round feeder rod
11' light Avon
11'6" heavy Avon
12' 2.75lb deadbait rods x 2

I might at some point add the medium Avon to those either side of it but it would be more a case of completing 'the set' as having a real need for it.

I've parted with a fair bit of kit recently, over a grands worth in fact at the price I got for it and some of it was quite a wrench but having done so I'm far happier now I can see exactly what I've got and what I realistically want to use without those other, largely unused bits of kit nagging away at me to be used.

Less is more! :)

steve2

Reaction score
Without going out and counting them I would say around 40 but I have only bought 3 this year. How many do I use, none in the past 15 months.

mikench

Reaction score
Too many but I can't resist. I keep getting away with telling er indoors, when postie brings a 6' rod tube, that it's just a tube to protect my existing rods.

tommos16

Reaction score
Hahaha I like it! I managed to hide one once, successfully, then one day she came fishing with me. I naively assumed she just wouldn't notice the new rod, but she did. Now I honestly think I'd rather take on the Stasi than her

Keith M

Reaction score
Far too many, a couple of which I haven’t even used; like a fly rod I bought with the intention of doing a bit of Carp fishing on the surface after watching J.Wilson catching them on a fly rod; but I bought them ‘just incase’ I needed them one day, and others that I’ve only used a couple of times when I fished matches on a particular type of venue; like a 17/20ft float rod (not a Bolo rod) that I bought when our team was fishing a venue with 12ft &13ft plus depths even in the margins, and fish could be feeding at any depth. I won the match with the top weight using this rod catching fish from just below the surface all the way down to the bottom by counting the float down until it finally settled.

There is only about seven or eight of my rods that regularly get used and the rest of them spend their lives in my rod racks in my fishing den.

Keith

Reaction score
Wow,forty or more rods,I thought I was bad,7 Avon/barbel rods of various test curves and actions,6 float rods of different strengths and lengths,2 feeder rods,2 fly rods,2 poles plus spare sections,a whip,a cheap beachcaster,1 very old glass salmon spinning rod that I used for flatties and three light glass spinning rods for LRF(one of which my son caught last year....

seth49

Reaction score
Without opening my rod holdalls and checking the contents, at least thirty possibly more, plus a couple of poles, there’s a wide selection of rods, from Avon, float, barbel and carp rods as well, together with three cane rods, and fly rods as well, hoping to try one of my fly rods for carp surface fishing as well next year, always wanted to try that.

tommos16

Reaction score
Without opening my rod holdalls and checking the contents, at least thirty possibly more, plus a couple of poles, there’s a wide selection of rods, from Avon, float, barbel and carp rods as well, together with three cane rods, and fly rods as well, hoping to try one of my fly rods for carp surface fishing as well next year, always wanted to try that.
Seth, I recall being on a small match water with some decent carp in up to 10/12lb. A guy rocked up with just a fly rod and a net, whilst we're all sat behind two method feeders each, and proceeded to empty the lake. He was using a tiny slow sinking fly and a salmon rod and it was ruthless. Big eye opener that day! I switched to maggots and casters and managed a few but they truly wanted those flies

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
4 feeder rods
2 canal wands
2 pellet waggler rods
3 waggler rods
1 spliced tip
4 margin poles
1 main pole with 16 topkits plus spare sections
I have either sold or given away a lot of rods and reels the past 18 months,
What I have now will do me, at my age I cant be bothered replacing what I have left.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
One of my feeder rods and a canal wand are over 30 years old and are still in use, the other wand I converted to a short range bomb rod for casting to island on snake lakes, put a heavier tip in it, other rods and poles range from new to around 15 years old.

Reaction score
Doesn't matter how old they are Mark,you can't wriggle out of it like that,lol....