How many winders in the seat box?

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
You can get them in any stationers, Mark. I've got some from W H Smith, some from Rymans. They call them something like A4 Document Cases, and they couldn't have done better if they were making them for storing pole winders! They're slim, so you're limited to floats/winder below 2g, but that's 99% of mine anyway.
Thanks Kev ?

nottskev

Reaction score
Reading your replies with great interest another question arises (which may have been lurking in the dark all the time): if you have hundreds of them: how long do you keep them? I usually replace Nylon after fishing one or two matches. The latter in case of not catching any big ones, but I mean in case you didn't use them?

This is a good question, and applies to spools of line, including spools not yet loaded onto reels or carried for hooklengths, as well as pole rigs. I wish I knew the right answer. I don't know why line kept away from line should degrade, but at the same time I'm suspicious it may, and I tend to change or throw out lines/rigs that I've had for a year or two. Although it occurs to me that the "fresh" spools I buy may well have been sitting in a shop display for longer. Does anyone have a definitive answer to the "shelf life" of lines kept away from light, heat etc?

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I have spare spools of line stored away in a drawer and some in pouch on pole roller bag. Some are new others part used, I won't hesitate to use a part used spool for hooklengths or pole rigs, Also have a couple of reels were I last changed the line was around 3 years ago, prior to that it had been on for around 4 years before changing.
Like @nottskev says how long has line been on display in the shops, especially the shops that are like Aladdin's caves were you can find things you were after years ago. To line being on display I would add ready made pole rigs, but I would assume these would have a faster turnover than spools of line.
Another question ,how long does braid last before it would need changing ?

wetthrough

Reaction score
Does anyone have a definitive answer to the "shelf life" of lines kept away from light, heat etc?

Not definitive or about fishing line specifically but at least some info http://www.autexrj.com/cms/zalaczone_pliki/2-06-4.pdf. It includes testing for polypropylene as well as polyamide (nylon)

If you read through it you'll find that in the short to medium term nylon seems to get stronger with UV exposure. Note that 24hrs irradiation time (Table 1) is equivalent to 10 average days.

peytr

Reaction score
Does anyone have a definitive answer to the "shelf life" of lines kept away from light, heat etc?
I doubt my answer will be definitive but I did some experiments with new and very old lines (up to and some even over thirty years). I started these experiment because I was confronted with a very bad breaking strength of the Nylon I used for my 0.08 hook lengths.

My findings (FWIW):

-only one line showed serious lower breakingstrength than specified <50%. This was a very soft line (at the time it was my standard 0.08 hook length Nylon) - of course I binned it. I cannot be sure that it was aging but I thinks so because I cannot image a vendor selling Nylon @ <50% spec
-all other lines I tested were OK! So they are stil in my stock of hook length Nylon

If you scan the internet all information is pointing in the direction that Nylon deteriorates, even when stored dark and dry. I did not find proof for this, exept in one case of an extraordinary soft line.

Most of the lines I tested are typical hooklength Nylon 0.06 - 0.16 mm diameter and 0.20 Maxima and Sensor. All tested lines where on their original spools, so not on winders or hooklength systems.

There's some more about this in the thread 'Putting Line Through Its Paces'
'

Last edited:

flightliner

Reaction score
I doubt my answer will be definitive but I did some experiments with new and very old lines (up to and some even over thirty years). I started these experiment because I was confronted with a very bad breaking strength of the Nylon I used for my 0.08 hook lengths.

My findings (FWIW):

-only one line showed serious lower breakingstrength than specified <50%. This was a very soft line (at the time it was my standard 0.08 hook length Nylon) - of course I binned it. I cannot be sure that it was aging but I thinks so because I cannot image a vendor selling Nylon @ <50% spec
-all other lines I tested were OK! So they are stil in my stock of hook length Nylon

If you scan the internet all information is pointing in the direction that Nylon deteriorates, even when stored dark and dry. I did not find proof for this, exept in one case of an extraordinary soft line.

Most of the lines I tested are typical hooklength Nylon up to 0.06 - 0.16 mm diameter and 0.20 Maxima and Sensor. All tested lines where on their original spools, so not on winders or hooklength systems.

There's some more about this in the thread 'Putting Line Through Its Paces'
'
I have some Damyll courser that must be at least twenty five years old. 2/3 and 4lb bs, all in multi metre sized spools.
I still use it for stick float work(2lb) and feeder work (3 and 4lb) and rue the day when its all used up, especially the 2lb spool.
I keep it in a cupboard on my garage wall and it still performs as well as the day I bought it all those years ago.
Hooklinks can vary, maxima mostly when "stickin" but more often when feeder fishing its often the 4 to 3.

rayner

Reaction score
Typically I have bulk spools of Maxima. 6lb, 4lb and 2lb. I have not used the 2lb for at least 4 years, it was bought in the 90s. I can not remember the exact date I do know it was my go-to line for fishing the stick on the Trent. The last time I was able to fish the Trent was before health issues, that was 98. I only use the 2lb now for whip fishing, I still have full confidence using it.
My lines are all stored in a large plastic box in my bait fridge, even my hook length boxes.
I do not know why, it is where my lines have always been stored.