HOW OFTEN DO YOU DO IT ?

john step

Reaction score
That got your attention. Fishing wise of course!

I keep a note of days fishing. I dont do short sessions. I prefer a full day.
Even with missing out during the first lockdown I am up to 83 days this year. Not a patch on some folk I know.
In conversation with other anglers I am dismayed for them that sometimes they are only getting out about once a month due to commitments.

Looking through my diary, good health and flooding permitting I envisage at least another 20 trips in 2020.

How often do you get a days fishing in?

peterjg

Reaction score
I don't do much night fishing nowadays, used to do around 60 to 70 nights a year. Now I usually fish three full days (dawn to dusk) on Mon, Wed, Fridays. It's a way of life. One day I'll take up fishing seriously.

rayner

Reaction score
Normally I would get out three times a week, any more is just too tiring.
I've bought two new rods, reel, a new suit for cold weather and not used them yet due to you know why.
As for fishing, I've been three times since March.

steve2

Reaction score
If you asked how many times did you go, In the past 2or3 times a week, now none since July 2019.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
When I retired about 3 years ago, I was going every day, Then after around a month I was just going through the motions when I got to the venue, It took the edge off going, knowing that I could go when I wanted to but in the end in a way it put me off going,
Now when I do decide to go it seems worthwhile even if I have the odd occasion of not catching.There have still been times when I have even loaded the car up to go and changed my mind,but these are getting less now.
I try to get out at least once or twice a week,
When the lockdown ends I will be up at daft o clock and drive to Warrington to fish a water up that way. I dont mind driving around two and a half hours to fish up there, it's the " is it worth it" scenario when I only have to drive 20 minutes to get to a venue here that sometimes puzzles me.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
It varies for me, I go through phases, sometimes not wanting to go for fairly long periods, then I get the bug and want to go every day. I would say on average it is about 20 or 30 times a year but I am not sure exactly.

steve2

Reaction score
When I retired about 3 years ago, I was going every day, Then after around a month I was just going through the motions when I got to the venue, It took the edge off going, knowing that I could go when I wanted to but in the end in a way it put me off going,
Now when I do decide to go it seems worthwhile even if I have the odd occasion of not catching.There have still been times when I have even loaded the car up to go and changed my mind,but these are getting less now.
I try to get out at least once or twice a week,
When the lockdown ends I will be up at daft o clock and drive to Warrington to fish a water up that way. I dont mind driving around two and a half hours to fish up there, it's the " is it worth it" scenario when I only have to drive 20 minutes to get to a venue here that sometimes puzzles me.
I went through the same process when I retired did a lot of fishing and reached a stage where I couldn't be bothered. Then switched to lure fishing where I didn't need a car full of gear. Then health problems in 2019 stopped me going, now of course covid put the brakes on again.
Still hope to be back fishing one day soon.

mikench

Reaction score
Now retired I average twice a week for 8 months a year . I clearly have some catching up to do

sam vimes

Reaction score
It varies throughout the year. During the best periods of weather/temperature, It's not unusual for me to go seven times a week During the worst periods of weather it can drop down to once a week. Much depends on river levels and wind. It's very rare that I don't get out once a week. The exception is likely to be during the month or two a year that I actually work for a living.

Phil Adams

Reaction score
Usually once a week. Can be a short session or best part of a day. I don't force myself though. If I'm not I. The mood I will happily not go and do something else I like doing. There needs to be balance I feel

wetthrough

Reaction score
Twice a week generally. Very occasionally three times if I've got some bait left and time on my hands.

Keith M

Reaction score
I’m retired so can go any day at a moments notice subject to the wife not having any jobs she wants me to do :).

I keep an eye on the weather conditions and if they look promising then I’ll go fishing, but if they look bad then I’ll stay at home; it’s as simple as that.

These days I rarely fish from dawn to dusk and in the warmer months I much prefer to fish late afternoons and evenings into the dark when a lot of the other anglers have gone home for their suppers; or the occasional early morning after Tench and Crucians up to just before mid day before I decide to go home.

In the colder months I can quite easily not go fishing for a couple of weeks if conditions are not looking promising however if conditions do look good I often go several times in a week. And in the warmer months I regularly go two to three times per week or more and I will also do one or two all night sessions after Barbel, Carp or Chub if the night temperatures look good.

The only times I ever fish through the middle of the day nowerdays is when I’ve been roped in to fish a club match.

Keith

GT56

Reaction score
When I was a working man I didn't miss many Saturday's and with evening sessions and day's holidays, I managed 70 times one year.
However, I'm really not sure now I plan for twice a week but factor in the weather and try an avoid getting wet through and freezing cold.

Reaction score
I can't tell you,because I don't keep a diary,nor wish to,since retiring I can go up to three times a week,whilst on my three weeks holiday I fish every afternoon/evening,at least six days I went micro-jigging for wrasse and other mini species too,so twenty times in three weeks,but depending on family commitments,diy jobs can slow me down a bit,as does illness/discomfort...but however many times it is,IT AINT ENOUGH....

seth49

Reaction score
Twice a week weather permitting, usually Tuesday and Thursday as those are the two days I’m allotted by her indoors, not as much in winter apart from Grayling trotting on the river when the weather is decent, being retired it’s nice being able to pick my days, after a lifetime of working outside I have had enough of being out in bad weather, don’t enjoy it at all.

trotter2

Reaction score
In the summer light nights probably 6 times a week. Winter its 2 times a week.

flightliner

Reaction score
Normally twice a week, on very rare occasions three in the summertime.
Really bad weather and it can be once or not at all.
This season has been particularly frustrating as an angler, several things causing me not to fish so often.
Covid, an absolute idiot of a "builder" and a long five week stay here by my family, not to mention a favourite water closed by Covid.
In short, giving me about the worst season I can ever remember, I just hope the winter months improve things!

Last edited: