Interesting old angling club photograph

Kirsty Hewitt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi all,

We thought some of you might be interested to see this lovely old photograph, which Thomas Turner acquired from the estate of a gentleman of 106 years who had passed away.
This was included in a file of papers for a prominent and long-established fishing club. Just for fun, does anyone fancy a guess at when and where it was taken, and which club is shown?

Scan.jpg

Steve Ruff

Reaction score
Just a wild guess but I reckon it was taken in somewhere in Scotland - possibly somewhere near Ross-shire / Glencoe - probably around 1920 ish ?

Lovely old picture all in suits and ties and all looking rather dapper.

David Rogers 3

Reaction score
It's the Dreadnought Sea Angling Society, which changed its name from the British Sea Anglers Society in 1911. Possibly at Ballycotton (County Cork, Ireland)?

Philip

Reaction score
After careful consideration of all the elements, the clothing being worn, the tackle being carried, the architecture of the building of the era, the background scenery and so on and then piecing together the various clues with Sherlock Holmes logic I am also inclined to believe it’s the Dreadnought angling club.

....especially as its written on the blokes bag in the front row :)

Kirsty Hewitt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am pleased you noticed the little clue in the picture. This is indeed The Dreadnought Sea Fishing Club on one of their first outings. Any ideas on date and location?

Philip

Reaction score
Trouble is I cant zoom in that much :)

Stab in the dark...somewhere around Portsmouth, Southsea for example ...date ...between 1910 & 1915. ...

Last edited:

tippetuk

Administrator
Reaction score
It's the answer. I have the photo here and that is what is written on the front. Also have host of interesting minutes etc. for this Club.

Philip

Reaction score
It's the answer. I have the photo here and that is what is written on the front. Also have host of interesting minutes etc. for this Club.

Thanks.

If they had any catch reports I imagine that would be very interesting to compare how much the shore fishing has really changed or declined in the intervening period....

Another Dave

Reaction score
Rule One: members not yet in possession of an official club moustache shall stand in the back row for all club photographs.

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
1st on the right is obviously Club Treasurer, the bowler hat gives that away. 3rd on the left is a professional match fisherman, he has Sponsor's name on his cap. But I would be a bit worried by the tactics used by the man standing 5th from the right in the back row as it appears to be a rifle butt he is carrying....?