Landing nets

hooferinsane

Reaction score
I am looking to purchase a landing net for preadator/pike fishing, predominantly will be lure fishing with the need to be mobile. Not sure if anyone has any suggestions, have looked at the fox rage and savage gear, the latter savage gear although the build quality looking good are a little bulky/larrge for roving I feel. Other one I have looked at is this Scierra:

https://www.anglingactive.co.uk/scierra-folding-salmon-net-catch-and-release-rubber-mesh-net.html

Does anyone have any suggestions or experience of the above?

Thanks

Brian

Last edited:

David Rogers 3

Reaction score
I use one of the Savage Gear nets, which I've always found to be well up to the job. The only thing I don't like is the studs on the integral handle that have to be depressed in order to fold the net, which can be quite tricky to operate with cold ,wet hands.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
My youngest son has just ordered me a new net for a Christmas present. I have gone for this one from Savage Gear. Some of the banks I fish are quite high and others are undercut. As I don’t fancy a January river bath I wanted one with a longish handle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Philip

Reaction score
I have a few rubber nets, the largest is a Shakespeare agility which was similar to the Savage gear net but doesn’t fold. Like you I do find it a bit bulky and prefer a slimer handle. The other issue I have with it and the Savage gear net was that I would have liked the handles to extend further.

There are quite a few rubber nets out there now that are not necessarily branded as Predator nets so it is worth looking around. Some of the some sea fishing boat nets for example look remarkably similar to ones being sold as predator nets to me.

keora

Reaction score
I've tried lots of landing nets for pike over the years. This Korum Snapper net was launched about a year ago, and it's the best pike net I've had.

• The length is 1 metre (40 inches), just right for that 20lb plus pike.
  • Rubber mesh, so hooks rarely get caught in it.
  • It folds in half and I can easily get it in the boot of a small car
  • The metal frame is strong and sturdy.
The weight is about 2.5 lbs, so it is a bit heavy compared to lightweight aluminium frames.

I use it with a light aluminium landing net handle about 8ft long.

Before buying the net, I looked at some of the new continental type landing nets with an integral handle. In my view the handles are too short to reach the water on some of the swims I fish ( high steep banks) and the net plus handle is far too heavy.

terry m

Reaction score
The savage gear folding nets are great for static dead baiting but too unwieldy for roving with lures IMO.

Circular Korum latex/rubber nets are perfect for roving. The larger diameter is best.

I cannot imagine reverting back to normal material nets for piking. The rubberised nets are great.

hooferinsane

Reaction score
Thanks all for the input everyone.

My youngest son has just ordered me a new net for a Christmas present. I have gone for this one from Savage Gear. Some of the banks I fish are quite high and others are undercut. As I don’t fancy a January river bath I wanted one with a longish handle.

Went for this SG in the end , as some (like the korum) are out of stock in most places that I looked. One thing that did swing it for me is you rightly pointed out Ray, is the risk of a freezing cold dip!!!

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I’ve taken a dip on the Eden when the undercut bank collapsed. It’s not something I wish to repeat. Fortunately for me it was on a summer’s day. Even so, it wasn’t easy to get out as the bank and river bed are clay. If there is a slipperier thing to climb I haven’t had to experience it. I had to pull myself up hand over hand with the long grass. I hope you get out to use your new net sooner rather than later mate.