Leger rod and reel for novice recommendations please

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
A friend has asked for some advice on buying his son a budget rod and reel in his words (for legering) catching carp up to 15llb. Max budget £100

He doesn’t need a broom handle for such fish, I’m thinking something like this

any other ideas welcome.

David Rogers 3

Reaction score
I'd go for a combination I use myself quite a bit - Korum 12' Allrounder (1.5lb) rod and Korum Latitude 5000 freespool reel. You can find both for £50 each (or slightly less) if you shop around and they'll easily handle carp up to 20lb in reasonably snag-free water. Having said that, I've only ever heard good things about the Darent Valley gear.

mikench

Reaction score
I can’t comment on the 1.75 tc rod if that is what you meant. I believe the .75 is the better rod and , in my hands, believe it or not, I’ve had carp to 13lb. It’s not a carp rod( thank god) but as an Avon type it’s superb and great value.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
having bought the waggler version of this rod I’d say this is great value, Coupled with a ninja reel should just creep in around £100 for the two...Hull angling centre on eBay doing a this deal..
Team Daiwa Commercial Feeder & Match Rods

0 Review(s) | Add Your Review
Product Code :TDCM116PW-AU
Commercial, high catch rate waters dominate the match and pleasure scene. This Team Daiwa range offers a mix of power and extra power versions all designed at a mid-way length.
£169.99

£64.99

*Options

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
The DV 0.75lb tc is a gem of a rod but it is way undergunned for carp let alone fish to 15lb. I've had carp to over 20lb on mine but I could not recommend it for that sort of work.....it is just not powerful enough and playing a fish for ages on a soft rod does the fish no good at all. Nor the angler I might add.

As the 0.75 was so good I treated myself to the 1.25tc DV but was hugely disappointed. Imo it was horrible so I'd be wary of the 1.75 tc. Simon's recommendation looks a decent shout....I can think of others but they'd go over the stated budget.