Lift method float fishing-loaded or unloaded

Keith M

Reaction score
No Sam I’m usually fishing in an estate lake or similar of between 4 or 5ft deep max.
If Im fishing for Tench in my local gravel pits in slightly deeper water or fishing at longer ranges I will usually just use a normal shotted waggler :)

Keith

Last edited:

Keep

Reaction score
what are loaded floats actually for? Do they work well for on-the-drop rigs where maybe you want the float cocked quickly to detect bites?

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I often find it hard to time the strike, I know a lot depends on the species, bait and set up but how often have I struck at a lifting float and missed bites and even when the float is sailing away I don't connect although, that is probably best overall. Its not an easy thing to get right I find.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
what are loaded floats actually for? Do they work well for on-the-drop rigs where maybe you want the float cocked quickly to detect bites?
I use them like that, shallow slow or still waters where you want the bait to flutter down nicely with maybe just a tell tail shot near the hook. However, you can make any float do the same by bulking all the shot right under it. Often good for roach when they are hitting it as it flutters down and the float whizzes away.

ian g

Reaction score
Keep , as Mark says they are good for fishing on the drop as there is less weight down the line , though you can just use bulk shot . They make casting easier with the weight contained with in the float , cut down on the number of shot on the line so cutting the risk of shot damaging the line and are useful when fishing a slider as a weight float makes cast off the bulk easier

mikench

Reaction score
They cut down on a lot of messing about with shot if, like me, you struggle with small shot. I use Drennan Visiwags for all normal float fishing.

Keith M

Reaction score

There’s a big difference between a loaded waggler and a semi-loaded waggler.

I only have a couple of ‘loaded’ wagglers in my float collection but they hardly ever see daylight; however I very often use a ‘semi loaded’ waggler like the Onion waggler.

The Onion waggler usually has a short length of copper loading at its base and if you looked at it without picking it up you’d be forgiven for thinking that it’s just a normal bodied waggler; however the copper loading together with the longish often tapered or inset stem with the relatively small body at its base actually flies through the air as straight as a die and without the characteristic waggle that gives the waggler it’s name. Plus it doesn’t make much of a splash or sink too much on landing like a fully loaded waggler does; plus it is a quite sensitive float too.

I find the ‘semi loaded’ Onion waggler a godsend when I need to cast accurately tight up against lilies a few rod lengths out, or tight up to islands or far bank features plus because it is only partly loaded you can still add shot further down the line.

Keith

Last edited:

Pete Shears

Reaction score
I vaguely remeber reading an article by Fred J Taylor and he stated that he had to learn to lift the rod off the rodrests and strike all in one movement otherwise missed bites were the result.

liphook

Reaction score
Keith is on the money there with how I think on the semi loaded float styles like the onion - great for casting at a feature/far bank where the flight of float proceeds the end tackle. Also semi load some of my deep water sliders as it seems to help the line to slide through to depth quicker and there's a slightly better chance of seeing a bite on the the drop/ settle. Lift fishing I'd want at least 95% of the capacity on the deckbut sometimes I will use a back shot to combat wind and maybe some no6 as lock shot