Line for carp reel and landing net size.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I am not sure if it will be a 2lb test curve rod or a 2.75lb test curve rod. I have a more or less beginner buying one of these from me and a basic fixed spool reel. Plus he is buying a match/float rod. I am guessing he will be starting on commies and day ticket waters at first. I don't know what breaking strain line to recommend him depending on what rod he buys of course but advice for either would help. Also what landing net size to recommend guessing he will only want to buy one to start with so something that will suit both the match rod and the carp rod. He said he will go round the tackle shop with £25 and get himself sorted with what he needs so It will be basic start up stuff. Just wanted some help on what to recommend him from some more experienced carp anglers than me. Thanks.
I know it is a bit open ended and a lot of ifs but this is the way he is starting out so it has to be general and he has to start with something.
Oh could add hooks and floats to that, what's a good sized hook for commie/day ticket waters. I will tell him some 12 and 10's for the float rod with maybe a 4lb line but not sure on the carp front.

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
The old school rule used to be multiply the TC by by as a rough guide to line strength. Give or take a bit. I can't see the point of less than 10lb bs for the usual carp rod/bobbin type fishing.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Tell him he will need more than £25 for tackle shop, A decent 56cm landing net is around £15. That will hold carp to around 15lb, landing net handle, hooks of various sizes, line, weights, float adaptors, disgorgers, plummets all this adds up .

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I am sure he will need more than £25 in the long run but he can find that out himself, I might make out a list of what he needs and let him just see how far he can get on £25..... 56 cm landing net sounds about right, just over 20 inches, that should do him most fish except large carp which I don't think he is bothered about at this stage. 10lb line sounds about right, I thought that myself but wondered if he should go higher if he encounters something big, I might recommend 12lb to give him a bit more leeway. Hooks- what about size 6?

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I would buy various sizes for hooks, if he is buying a match/float rod as well, 4lb main line to 3lb or 2.5lb hooklengths and size 18 hooks will do for general work on variety of waters,
Carp work, I am feeder fishing with 6lb line to 7lb hooklength and 14 hook ,catching carp to mid doubles, will do size 12 hook if using larger bait, I would get ready made hooklengths in various breaking strains, hook sizes and styles, ie plain, bait band, quick stop etc. Guru do decent ones so do Drennan. Cost for a few packs around £8.
Net and handle around £40 and that's for usable handle with net. Line ..depends on brand and spool size, around £5 per spool.
Feeders, floats, shot, plummets ,disgorgers etc around £30
Something to carry rods and tackle in, varies by brand . Leeda GT are very good value. Around £25 each for holdall and carryall.
Tell him around £100 for the essentials.
That does not include luggage.

mikench

Reaction score
He just needs a match rod on a commie and that way he will enjoy it. 4 to 6 lb sensor will be perfect for many scenarios.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I sold the rods yesterday, a 2lb carp rod and a 12ft match rod, both nice carbon rods and should last him a long time and do most of his needs until he gets into it more if he does. He went to some camping holiday place last month and tried a bit of fishing in a carp pool and caught a few and decided he liked it and reminded him of when he went fishing with his dad so I guess that's what he will doing, commercials etc and then he might get round to joining a club one day. I also sold him a new reel with two spools which I advised him to get a 10lb and a 4lb line for. I gave him a list of things to buy including a 56cm landing net, disgorger, forceps, floats etc, hooks I said some 12, 14's and 6's. and I threw in a beginner's guide I had in my book shelf, some forgotten buy from a charity shop that I don't need. The lot for £50 and I paid about £18.50 for, rods £10, reel £7.50 another junk shop buy and the book a quid. So I am happy, he was very happy and I went to an auction yesterday and spent £76 which included an old wicker fishing creel I wanted for £22 estimate £20-£40 a soapstone chess set and two very nice oil paintings so all worked out well. On the way home we stopped in a roadside café and there was a framed lure mount on the wall with two lures in it for £5 so I bought that as well. A satisfying day all round.
Thanks for all the advice, set him up as right as I could, that was the thing and the advice has helped a lot.

Last edited: