Looks like my smooth hound sessions are out the window!

Reaction score
This year I have a couple of trips booked for the summer to target smooth hounds from the beaches.
All the preparation looks like its been for next year now as the smoothies on the east coast will have probably been and gone before we can get out there and get a cast in..
What species will you guys miss fishing for the most off the beaches?

no-one in particular

Reaction score
there only a few sea anglers on here Adam but a good input from them. I enjoy float fishing for mackerel and bass mainly, from beach, pier or jetty. same for mullet when I can see them. I have done a lot of beach casting in the past but the gear does not get taken out much these days, I keep telling myself to but the lure of the float is always more appealing. However, I do use the carp gear and bait fish with it when float is not viable. I can cast a fair distance with it but don't mind fishing close in with it. I may well come unstuck one day but not yet.
Be nice to get out and do some light sea fishing again, hopefully the mackerel will show but it has not been promising the last few years, smaller shoals and smaller fish, the bass have been showing well last year but, not for me. You will be doing it again soon, I am sure, be patient.

Last edited:

Clodhopper

Reaction score
My buddies and I have an annual trip on the Kingsmere reef off Littlehampton, after black bream, which is probably off now. It's a great shame.

I wonder how many charter skippers' businesses will survive this lockdown.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Reaction score
I've thought about using carp rods on calmer days for a bit more fun when playing the fish rather than winching them in on heavy gear and I was suprised when I first got into it how close in you can catch fish

sylvanillo

Reaction score
The only species I've ever pursued on a beach have been girls. But I cannot say whether chasing girls was really more succesul than seabass.

Sorry that was easy.

When I was living in Belgium, I frequently followed the coasts of South Zeeland. Known coast for fishing from the beach.

Many anglers are after seabass only. Some of them do lure fishing only. I was surprised because in Brittany where I was grown, seabass is associated to rocks and elevated shores.

Apart from that I know that parts of the South England coast are good end od summer / automn, even in winter in harbours. Probably not for mackerel but there's good fishing according to youtube!

Reaction score
Never thought about the charters pal, they're losing some big money at this time of year aswell.
Hopefully they can get some sort of support.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
When I was living in Belgium, I frequently followed the coasts of South Zeeland. Known coast for fishing from the beach.

Many anglers are after seabass only. Some of them do lure fishing only. I was surprised because in Brittany where I was grown, seabass is associated to rocks and elevated shores.

Apart from that I know that parts of the South England coast are good end od summer / automn, even in winter in harbours. Probably not for mackerel but there's good fishing according to youtube!
Sea bass can occur anywhere, estuary, rocks, shallow beaches, reefs, they like shallow surf as well, I was always told fish behind the third breaker for them. They can be both predator and bait hunter. A very adaptable fish - for the angler as well..

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I've thought about using carp rods on calmer days for a bit more fun when playing the fish rather than winching them in on heavy gear and I was suprised when I first got into it how close in you can catch fish

It is more fun and you get to appreciate the different fighting qualities of fish. Depends on the sea and where though. I can get away with a carp rod and a 2oz weight most days, a shallow beach with not much current and if it is not very rough. Where I lived once, the Dover Straights no chance, even off the beach, the current was very strong and a 2oz weight would be useless. Worth experimenting a bit though, see what works.