Lower itchen fishery - fm fish’in 2014

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Possibly would go with presentation, bait and river conditions rather than being stupid enough to make a definitive statement.

Tim,

Those that have made the statements, i think you will find have done so as thats is what they have done, and caught.

I wouldn't go to a new venue and think i could start off with a size 12. I would start off much smaller, and work my way up to a bigger size, but only if i think i needed to.

aebitim

Reaction score
Tim,

Those that have made the statements, i think you will find have done so as thats is what they have done, and caught.

I wouldn't go to a new venue and think i could start off with a size 12. I would start off much smaller, and work my way up to a bigger size, but only if i think i needed to.

No problem with that at all, though I would suggest that float size and pattern is a factor in hook selection as is water colour and bait, I could have worded my post better.
Modern hook sizes vary so much, some supposedly size 16s will easily take 2 maggots, some middy ones I bought recently are the same gape as Kamasan 12s. Most of my grayling fishing is done on the Frome or Stour, fished the Itchen a fair bit [4yrs] in the late 90s and grew up in Reading not far from the Kennet, The Wye also has Grayling. The point is that varying the method to suit the water conditions [rather than specific methods for specific rivers] is much more effective than fishing the same method all the time. I dont see a problem starting off with a 12, it is easy enough to change a hook, though I started off with a 16 on the LIF and didnt get round to changing it, didnt catch any grayling either . . .

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Each to their own

One can only try make suggestions
or give advice based on personal experiences.

No one has to take the slightest bit of notice. Or agree.

Graham

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Isn't that one of the best things about our sport? Experimenting until it all comes good - the conditions, hook size, bait, floats etc.

Then, hopefully, you end up with a Binka weekend on your hands......:)

greenie62

Reaction score
Isn't that one of the best things about our sport? Experimenting until it all comes good - the conditions, hook size, bait, floats etc. - Then, hopefully, you end up with a Binka weekend on your hands......:)

What your chair collapses? - Again! :eek::eek:mg:

B

binka

Then, hopefully, you end up with a Binka weekend on your hands......:)

What your chair collapses? - Again! :eek::eek:mg:

Lol... To be honest fellas I would have been grateful of a chair collapse as a distraction from the boredom if last weekend was anything to go by.

Actually, I took my trusty Wychwood folding stool (because I'm a lazy git) to sit on whilst performing a fairly poor impression of someone drop shotting and it's outlasted everything in the chair department and still going strong.

If you could imagine a mini parked on a shoe box... :eek:mg:

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Rebait, recast, return to sleep. Ooops, sorry. Thought I was on the carp thread :eek:mg: :D

Each to their own but I really, honestly prefer not knowing what the next bite will bring. I've never got the single species thing personally but I can understand the barbel being a chosen quarry.