Lure Addiction

steve2

Reaction score
I know I shouldn't but over the last few days I have found myself once again bidding on Ebay for lures I don't need. Just can't break this it an addiction to lures.
Oh no I just put a bid in for a vintage bait casting rod. There is also nice vintage closed face reel that would go nicely with the rod.

Keith M

Reaction score
I have a large box full of different Pike plugs that I have yet to Catch a Pike on, so your not alone Steve.
I also have some really tiny 1 to 1.5 inch plugs that I bought for Perch and Chub which I’ve never used (so far).

I’m usually using soft lures or small Mepps which I have more confidence in using.

Keith

Last edited:

rich66

Reaction score
Don’t forget “it’s only an addiction if you’re trying to stop !”
Ebay is very tempting if you’ve got disposable income or even if you haven’t lol

valetudoguy

Reaction score
I remember buying a collection off of eBay perhaps 5 or 6 years ago. Bag/Box with about 40-50 lures in. When I got to the blokes house and got talking to him turns out he just kept buying lures and hadn't used hardly any of them. He had another load of about 150+ lures completely unused and ended up saying what the hell and threw them in along with my first spool of power pro.

One of the greatest acts of kindness I have experienced during my fishing journey. I still haven't needed to buy a lure since other than some mini silicones for drop shitting now and then when they are on offer.

steve2

Reaction score
I know the feeling I have hundreds many unused, some now collectors items, American lures from the late 60's. I don't suppose it is any different to those that are always buying floats that they don't need or use or come to that rods and reels they need.

David Gane

Reaction score
Yep. Guilty of that one, I'm afraid. I have boxes and boxes of them, but in truth there are only about half a dozen patterns that I regularly go to.

Which kind of raises another question, really. Most lure anglers will have a favourite lure pattern or model. Some will swear by one, others will say it doesn't work so well for them and they prefer something completely different. I've often wondered about how that can be. If a lure works well, surely it works well? I've come to the conclusion though that it's not about the lure, but about the angler and the confidence he/she has in it. When I start a lure session I will tend to go first to my favourite, trusted pattern for the location and conditions. If it works I'll persevere with it and have a good day. If it doesn't work I'll try something different, and keep changing fairly regularly. Maybe I'll have some success with that strategy, but maybe I won't. In reality though my second lures had less chance than my favourite one because if the pike were really up for it I wouldn't even have bothered - and if I did bother then I'd only have given them 30 minutes or so before moving to something else. So, on average my second choice lures are always going to come second...

valetudoguy

Reaction score
So true, I heavily favour a couple old silver Abu Garcia Terminator jointed lures, if they don't work I go straight for something half red (front) and half white.

I have an old red and white lure that has been so successful to me that when I lost it in some lily pads, I went and got a blow up boat and rowed out to get it. ??

mikench

Reaction score
How many drug users buy their stuff and keep it in nice little boxes but never use it. Lure anglers, and I'm one. Insanity takes many forms.

steve2

Reaction score
Didn't need to raise my price 1 won 2 more lures to add to my collection. Not a bad price, about quater of what they are worth.

steve2

Reaction score
Oh no I have done it again another 2 vintage lure to had to my collection. The excuse is I have been after these for some time and these wont get used.
Some people love centrepins and rods and can't have enough, I just love lures it would seem and can't break the habit of keep looking.
They will join the collection of loved but unused lures, some now nearly 60 years old.

Last edited:

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Oh no I have done it again another 2 vintage lure to had to my collection. The excuse is I have been after these for some time and these wont get used.
Some people love centrepins and rods and can't have enough, I just love lures it would seem and can't break the habit of keep looking.
They will join the collection of loved but unused lures, some now nearly 60 years old.

photos please so I can share some of your pleasure.?

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I remember buying a collection off of eBay perhaps 5 or 6 years ago. Bag/Box with about 40-50 lures in. When I got to the blokes house and got talking to him turns out he just kept buying lures and hadn't used hardly any of them. He had another load of about 150+ lures completely unused and ended up saying what the hell and threw them in along with my first spool of power pro.

One of the greatest acts of kindness I have experienced during my fishing journey. I still haven't needed to buy a lure since other than some mini silicones for drop shitting now and then when they are on offer.
"Drop shitting" ? Is this a new way of fishing ? ?

mikench

Reaction score
It's the ad before the vid which intrigued me. Now I might just be tempted.

The clip Just shows the ad. Is this a lure to catch fish or anglers?

David Gane

Reaction score
Once they've fitted it with a fish-finder, underwater camera and drone release hook I might have a think about buying one.

john step

Reaction score
It's the ad before the vid which intrigued me. Now I might just be tempted.

The clip Just shows the ad. Is this a lure to catch fish or anglers?
I bet it would catch pike as well as anglers. I dont know what it would cost but someone will buy it. Fancy that taking itself into a snag and waggling around until the battery died. Death rig?