Lure fishing in Bedford

RambunctiousRat

Reaction score
Hi there,
I have just started fishing again after a break of some 20 years. Due to my health at the moment I can’t manage more than an hour or two at the most so I thought lure fishing for pike/ other predators would be a good place to start. I’ve done my research online and sorted out some new gear and lures, but my big problem is knowing where to fish.
I live close to Priory country park and have tried the river from the sewage works upstream as far as the finger lakes and downstream as far as the back of the car dealership without a single knock on the lures. My next trip I plan to try the lock / weir slightly further upstream from the finger lakes.
I would be very grateful for any suggestions of spots in or around Bedford for lure fishing. I’d be quite happy just catching a jack pike or two to start with, not after anything special, it would just be great to feel a bend in the rod again after all this time.
Thanks
Tom

john step

Reaction score
Welcome to FM. I am a bit surprised you have not had a hit on the Gt Ouse yet. My memories of the river upstream of Bedford is that there were plenty of pike. It may be a bit early yet of course as maybe the recent hot temperatures have reduced oxygen levels.
Keep at it as I am sure it will be OK.
I hope Whitty sees this as he is a regular on the river in Bedford and is sure to help.

Reaction score
Yes,i've spotted it,i'm afraid that Eastern Europeans lure fish the area a lot,so although some put fish back,many do not,if you are of this group I apologise Tom for the generalisation,but sadly it's a true reflection....

RambunctiousRat

Reaction score
Yes,i've spotted it,i'm afraid that Eastern Europeans lure fish the area a lot,so although some put fish back,many do not,if you are of this group I apologise Tom for the generalisation,but sadly it's a true reflection....
I’m not from that group. I didn’t realise there was an issue of people not releasing fish, it’s all very different to last time I fished! Is it also an issue on club waters or just the free stretches in the town? I’m not averse to joining a local club if there is more chance of a fish or two.
Cheers
Tom

Reaction score
It is an issue countrywide mate,club's however recognise the issue and try to stop it,i'm sure most members here could reel of some gen on it,the most recognisable ones are the ones fishing lures without a landing net...

chevin4

Reaction score
I know a Lithuanian guy through work he certainly puts his fish back and is a fine lure angler. He showed me a photo of a huge Chub which looked all of 7lb. He gets the most success fishing under the numerous bridges in the town as has caught perch to specimen size along the stretch. Hope this is of some help.

Reaction score
I also talked to a Polish guy who tries for the carp on the river,he had guys coming up to him and when we talked later he told me all these guys took fish which gave him a bad name,sad really....

Sean89

Reaction score
Is it worth trying the big lock up opposite go outdoors? I see a lot of guys lure fishing down the Embankment without keep nets but I never see them catch anything. I caught a jack pike on corn few weeks ago maybe get yourself some green giant ?

Phil Adams

Reaction score
Hi there,
I have just started fishing again after a break of some 20 years. Due to my health at the moment I can’t manage more than an hour or two at the most so I thought lure fishing for pike/ other predators would be a good place to start. I’ve done my research online and sorted out some new gear and lures, but my big problem is knowing where to fish.
I live close to Priory country park and have tried the river from the sewage works upstream as far as the finger lakes and downstream as far as the back of the car dealership without a single knock on the lures. My next trip I plan to try the lock / weir slightly further upstream from the finger lakes.
I would be very grateful for any suggestions of spots in or around Bedford for lure fishing. I’d be quite happy just catching a jack pike or two to start with, not after anything special, it would just be great to feel a bend in the rod again after all this time.
Thanks
Tom

Hi Tom. I'm from the same area, living in Elstow village. There are fish to be caught from Priory but as previously said, they have been fished for quite heavily and face removal and predation.

There are a few clubs that control various sections of the Ouse. Vauxhall AC has Kempston mill which can fish well. Although I think membership is currently full.

Where abouts are you based and what type of lures are you using?

RambunctiousRat

Reaction score
Hi Phil,
I’m just round the corner from priory itself. I’ve been trying Big S, a couple of fladden firetiger pattern, a savage gear line thru trout and various shads on jig heads. Main line is 30lb braid and a 12 inch trace.
I’d love to join Vauxhall again, I was a member in the early 90s and had some fantastic days pole fishing Tingrith for Rudd and small carp. Unfortunately it is currently full. If the hobby takes hold again I will join Vauxhall next year.
cheers
Tom

Phil Adams

Reaction score
Hi Phil,
I’m just round the corner from priory itself. I’ve been trying Big S, a couple of fladden firetiger pattern, a savage gear line thru trout and various shads on jig heads. Main line is 30lb braid and a 12 inch trace.
I’d love to join Vauxhall again, I was a member in the early 90s and had some fantastic days pole fishing Tingrith for Rudd and small carp. Unfortunately it is currently full. If the hobby takes hold again I will join Vauxhall next year.
cheers
Tom

It could be worth dropping down to smaller lures, spinners and jigs especially. I have had luck with perch and small pike on 9lb braid and 3-5g jig heads and 2" grubs. Also, wobbling deadbaits has worked for me on the main river. The fish can be shy due to foot traffic, poaching and predation for sure.