Making Pellets from Luncheon Meat

mikench

Reaction score
I admit I haven't used them but I have used these and have remembered where. They simply attach to a loop on your hair rig.

IMG_0334.PNG
IMG_0334.PNG

Keith M

Reaction score
I’ve been using a couple of Seymo luncheon meat punches (LunchPunch); with internal plungers for pushing the meat out; for years (see link)

I have these in a couple of sizes; although for Barbel, Chub and Carp I use the larger one which looks around half an inch or slightly larger in diameter.

I push the punch right through the meat to load it and then I push the meat out of the punch with the plunger to the length required for the hook just as needed and then cut it off with my fishing line before mounting the cylinder shaped piece of meat onto my hook, or mounting it onto a hair if I’m wanting to avoid hooking too many Chub; like in the pic below.

Any meat that is left between the cylinder cutout holes is broken up and thrown in for loosefeed.
Occasionally I also use the irregular bits that are left between the punched out meat holes as bait on the hook; as well as for loosefeed.

Keith

Last edited:

rayner

Reaction score
Bait punches can be made from any tube, from pole sections to apple corer even a straw. All manner of things work. Irregular pieces of meat work better for me.

Keith M

Reaction score
Bait punches can be made from any tube, from pole sections to apple corer even a straw. All manner of things work. Irregular pieces of meat work better for me.
Said like a true Yorkshireman, saving your pennies :) (Only kidding)

True but a LunchPunch (or similar) only costs a small amount of money plus it comes with a purpously designed plunger which allows you to push the meat out of the tube very easily without any fiddling about with sticks or other things :)

Irregular sizes and shapes of meat are brilliant too of course; and you don’t need a punch for them.

Keith

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I found the small fry nibbling my broken irregular meat a lot, the smooth rounded punched ones not so much.

Thank you for all the replies, plenty for me to consider.

Reaction score
I use the guru meat punches,a neat set of four punches in 6/8/10/12mm sizes in a rubber knuckleduster type storage,they are sharp and have a syringe type plunger which pushes the pellet out,cut a slice of meat and punch away...
As for getting meat out of the tin,open the tin,squeeze around each face of the tin to break the fats seal,then whack the open end against the palm of your hand a few times,then holding the open end downwards make a sharp downward movement stopping suddenly,the inertia of stopping loosens the grip,this may take several movements but it removes any danger of accidents...

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I use the guru meat punches,a neat set of four punches in 6/8/10/12mm sizes in a rubber knuckleduster type storage,they are sharp and have a syringe type plunger which pushes the pellet out,cut a slice of meat and punch away...
As for getting meat out of the tin,open the tin,squeeze around each face of the tin to break the fats seal,then whack the open end against the palm of your hand a few times,then holding the open end downwards make a sharp downward movement stopping suddenly,the inertia of stopping loosens the grip,this may take several movements but it removes any danger of accidents...
That's a good idea, I still want to leave the meat in the tin though, the reason being I find the meat goes off if out of the tin or at least a funny colour especially if it is warm and I don't as a rule use much so I can just put it back in the fridge when I get home and use it again the next time. Taking punches straight from the tin will be better I think for these reasons for me..
Thanks for all the help, I am gong to the tackle shop some time and just see what they have in stock or I am going to make my own, always a good idea, I will try and avoid the fishing line and superglue on this one but I cannot promise it.

Reaction score
Fish dont care what colour the meat is,also if you open your tin at home and bag it,then keep it deep in your bag the colour doesnt change much at all,if you cube meat it should be covered in water in your bait box this keeps it cooler and also draws excess fat out,which ehen you empty your box at the end of the day the box will be covered in it...

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Fish dont care what colour the meat is,also if you open your tin at home and bag it,then keep it deep in your bag the colour doesnt change much at all,if you cube meat it should be covered in water in your bait box this keeps it cooler and also draws excess fat out,which ehen you empty your box at the end of the day the box will be covered in it...
But is that colour the meat going off, like a grey colour and would that put the fish off. ?

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Certainly not carp they will scoff anything.
I don't suppose it does but if it is the meat going off, I would prefer it all fresh, its only the edge exposed to the air or warmth that goes this grey color and I usually cut it off which is easier to do when taking a full sausage from the tin. I still want to just take the lid off the tin, it just seems easier to me for bait and storage, always after an easy life me.

Keith M

Reaction score
If you leave it in the tin it doesn’t stop you using a punch of course; but taking a tin onto the river bank is contravening my clubs rules so I keep mine in either some tin foil or in a small plastic container which prevents it drying out (and changing colour); plus I keep my punched meat inside my meat punch and only push enough meat out of my punch to use on the hook leaving the rest inside the punch until it’s needed; which also keeps it from the elements.

I know that a small colour change doesn’t really effect its attraction however if it’s kept fairly fresh I can drop it into my freezer and use it again if I do have any left and haven't been able to get any more.

NB: I usually buy about six tins of Luncheonmeat at a time but sometimes my shop sells out of my preferred meat.

Keith

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
bb
If you leave it in the tin it doesn’t stop you using a punch of course; but taking a tin onto the river bank is contravening my clubs rules so I keep mine in either some tin foil or in a small plastic container which prevents it drying out (and changing colour); plus I keep my punched meat inside my meat punch and only push enough meat out of my punch to use on the hook leaving the rest inside the punch until it’s needed; which also keeps it from the elements.

Keith
Good point, I don't know if the club has such a ban, I better check.

Reaction score
Leaving it in the tin doesnt stop it going off,if you take it from the tin and shave a gnats off every hour or so it is still pink inside,it is drying out not going off and fish eat rotting dead fish in the water,where there is protein they will munch it....