Making pole sections float.

seth49

Reaction score
As I mentioned in my HDYGO entry on Friday, I lost a pole section due to a terrific gust of wind, it wasn’t very windy at all till this came from nowhere.

I’m wondering if I put some tight pieces of closed cell foam rubber in either end of my sections, if that will allow them to float till I can recover them. If it ever happens again.

Going to test it in my pond to see if it works, anyone else tried this or similar.

mikench

Reaction score
Why not strap them down with a bungee and a couple of tent pegs when not in use. You could use those rod butlers Scuba Chris uses to keep his rods together in transit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

seth49

Reaction score
It’s a thought mike, but I do need to be able to grab a section if a big carp makes a run for it.

It’s making them float which I’m interested in, plus not attaching the pole roost to my side tray, so they don’t get tipped in if my chair is blown over, two long bank sticks should stop them being blown in, if placed downwind of my sections.

nottskev

Reaction score
There are few more depressing sights in fishing than watching your pole or rod section hover at the surface for a couple of seconds before zig-zagging out into the depths. The foam caps made to stop you clashing sections together when joining them will seal the male ends ok. These ones are Maver Clean Caps. The sections are off a Beastmaster pole - am I right to think that's what you use?

cl.jpg

I'm sure there are other makes/types out there. The problem is that if you seal the female ends with something similar, you'll no longer be able to put the sections inside each other to carry the pole. If you're happy to bundle the sections together - there are only 6 on the 8.5m pole - you could carry them in a bag or tube, but they'd be a bit more awkward and vulnerable in transit.

seth49

Reaction score
Bother hadn’t thought of that, perhaps just sealing the male end might work, the internal air might keep the water out, I know you can buy bungs which fit in the male ends of the sections, but I have some inch and a half thick foam rubber, which I bought to put in the end caps of the pole to stop the sections rattling about and banging into the end caps, it’s the sort they use in upholstery etc.

Perhaps fasten a loop of twine to the foam which fits the female end, and then I could withdraw it before packing the pole away, back to the drawing board I think.
Thanks Kev.

nottskev

Reaction score
It might be one of those things that only happens once. From time to time I used to bait the hook and drop the rig in the water, gripping the topkit between my knees while I did something else, feed some bait or whatever. Until one day something, presumably a carp feeding on the bits and pieces like sucked maggots, crushed casters etc you pull off the hook and throw away, picked up the bait and swam off so strongly it pulled the topkit from between my knees before I twigged what was going on, and I watched it towed to the middle of the lake before it disappeared. I've never done that since, and you might find ways to make sure no loose sections get blown around. You've reminded me of another thing I did once as a beginner pole angler but never repeated: pull the cap off the large end, end on to the water, and watch all the sections slide out. Luckily, into a foot of water.

seth49

Reaction score
Don’t knock the pole mike, I never thought I’d possess one either, always preferred rod and line, but I’m converted to them now.

Very efficient and precise way of fishing, I catch a lot more fish on the pole most days, being able to feed and fish precisely the same area, does work a lot better for me.

Give one a try you might enjoy it, I do.

rayner

Reaction score
I've seen several sections and one pole dragged in, all were retrieved. Every time I had to smile at the anglers downfall, once I had a raucous belly laugh when the full pole went in. The bloke retrieved his pole then tried to lift the pole from around the No4 the pole of course snapped. o_O
Fishing a match at a Penistone venue a chap in the next peg left a top kit with a baited hook on the bank behind his peg.
A chicken snaffled his hook then ran off with his top kit. The bloke in the next peg accused me of stealing the top kit. :mad:

If you enjoy your fishing without a pole Mike why bother buying one.

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
There are few more depressing sights in fishing than watching your pole or rod section hover at the surface for a couple of seconds before zig-zagging out into the depths. The foam caps made to stop you clashing sections together when joining them will seal the male ends ok. These ones are Maver Clean Caps. The sections are off a Beastmaster pole - am I right to think that's what you use?

View attachment 14707

I'm sure there are other makes/types out there. The problem is that if you seal the female ends with something similar, you'll no longer be able to put the sections inside each other to carry the pole. If you're happy to bundle the sections together - there are only 6 on the 8.5m pole - you could carry them in a bag or tube, but they'd be a bit more awkward and vulnerable in transit.
I’m a bit wary of these type of bungs, easy for grit to attach to them.

The best solution to your issue is preventing the sections going in the water, in my opinion!

mikench

Reaction score
I'm only joking about pole fishing and whilst I acknowledge the arguments for, I still don't want one.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Don’t knock the pole mike, I never thought I’d possess one either, always preferred rod and line, but I’m converted to them now.

Very efficient and precise way of fishing, I catch a lot more fish on the pole most days, being able to feed and fish precisely the same area, does work a lot better for me.

Give one a try you might enjoy it, I do.
Precisely my thoughts until I tried one. I will use nowt else now on certain waters and/or for certain species. Not interested in catching carp on them though....strictly for delicate presentation for me ie crucians and roach with the inevitable gate crashing tench. I reckon I hit 2 or 3 times as many bites on the pole as on a waggler.

I've not had mine dragged in yet but Ive seen a few go....including the BF's and it was as much as I could do to not laugh. I had to look sorrowful but I was p****g myself laughing inside. He'll not leave a bait in the water unattended again.

nottskev

Reaction score
I’m a bit wary of these type of bungs, easy for grit to attach to them.

The best solution to your issue is preventing the sections going in the water, in my opinion!

You might say the best solution is not to dip them in grit :)
Seriously, I've never found that a problem, and I'm still using a pole bought in 1993 fitted with such caps. The one in the pic is from 2006, I think, and as can be seen, the joints are perfect. Keeping them super clean and avoiding carbon grinding on carbon is the main thing.

rob48

Reaction score
These: https://protectapole.com/

don't help sections float but they're the best I've used to reduce joint wear. Being pure PTFE neither grit nor anything else seems to stick to them.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
As kev says maver clean caps, I think sensas do similar,
Another trick is to use polystyrene tiles, push both ends of section into tile like a bread punch. At the end of fishing session they are easy to push all the way through with other sections.

nottskev

Reaction score
These: https://protectapole.com/

don't help sections float but they're the best I've used to reduce joint wear. Being pure PTFE neither grit nor anything else seems to stick to them.

I've got some similar on some sections. They certainly stop damaging edge-to-edge clashing. For protecting the whole surface of the joint, as opposed to the ends, I've used Preston Joint save, painted onto the male joint for....well. since it came out. I can't believe how well even the most unshipped joints have lasted due to it. It beats me why they no longer make it. If anybody sees a left over bottle in a tackle shop, I'll happily pay them purchase price, postage and a finder's fee!

I don't understand why it has fallen out of use or fashion. I remember seeing an online exchange where some bloke was saying that Jointsave is rubbish - he'd only had it on for a couple of months and it had worn off! Exactly. The whole point is that the surface coating wears off rather than the carbon of the pole. Renewing the coating regularly is a trifling expense compared to buying new sections.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I have the Daiwa versions of those down to my number 8 section, Just push into section and the click into place, I am looking to see if I can get them for 9, 10, 11 section.Expensive in larger sizes, but cheaper than a chipped section.

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
Another fan of the protectapole nose cones here. They don’t solve the original question but do save joint wear.

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
I've got some similar on some sections. They certainly stop damaging edge-to-edge clashing. For protecting the whole surface of the joint, as opposed to the ends, I've used Preston Joint save, painted onto the male joint for....well. since it came out. I can't believe how well even the most unshipped joints have lasted due to it. It beats me why they no longer make it. If anybody sees a left over bottle in a tackle shop, I'll happily pay them purchase price, postage and a finder's fee!

I don't understand why it has fallen out of use or fashion. I remember seeing an online exchange where some bloke was saying that Jointsave is rubbish - he'd only had it on for a couple of months and it had worn off! Exactly. The whole point is that the surface coating wears off rather than the carbon of the pole. Renewing the coating regularly is a trifling expense compared to buying new sections.
That stuff sounds great. Wonder what was in it?

nottskev

Reaction score
I don't know! You paint it on as a clear liquid. It dries quickly, leaving a whitish coating with a PTFE feel. The solvent is flammable and has a pong like acetone. It beats everything I ever tried from PTFE sprays (90% goes everywhere except on the pole joint), candle wax ( adds too much to the joint and gets gritty) various lubricants (dry up or wipe off). I was surprised when Dave Coster's recent article here on pole-fishing had a specific section on joint care and only mentioned joint protectors and end caps. The section below is the most commonly unshipped on a pole that's been used extensively for nearly 30 years and is barely worn. I've been collecting spare sections for years against the day I need them, but it won't wear out. I've know blokes who don't bother looking after joints trash a pole in a couple of years. If you use it when the Jointsave has worn off, you'll soon have the black powder of ground carbon on your hands, especially in the wet; paint it again and that stops immediately.

joint.jpg