Making pole sections float.

Reaction score
I once saw a guy on lake five at Makins fishery turn round for a call of nature,leaving his 12m pole on rests still fishing,well his pole leapt like salmon and was seen careering round the lake for a few hours before the fish got off and the pole was recovered,the carp was in training I think...

seth49

Reaction score
If a fish had pulled my section in , it would have been my fault, mine was lost to a terrific gust of wind that came on a day of mainly light winds.

Reaction score
Bloody disaster mate,must have been gutted....

seth49

Reaction score
Yes I ordered a replacement on Friday, it’s going to cost me a penny short of £60.00, at least I can get one for it.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
It’s a thought mike, but I do need to be able to grab a section if a big carp makes a run for it.

It’s making them float which I’m interested in, plus not attaching the pole roost to my side tray, so they don’t get tipped in if my chair is blown over, two long bank sticks should stop them being blown in, if placed downwind of my sections.
Try a double pole sock and a pole roller with angled uprights, to prevent pole sections being blown off,
Alternatively a row of tulip rests attached to side tray. More grip than a roost.

Reaction score
Nah,i'd be to be listening to Heapsy tell stories....

Reaction score
He is one of the few people I could sit and listen to hour on hour,great days when he fished with us for a year or two...

nottskev

Reaction score
He is one of the few people I could sit and listen to hour on hour,great days when he fished with us for a year or two...

He could sell as well as fish. I once went into a tackle shop in Cheshire for a pint of maggots. Ian Heaps was there as a rep for DAM. I came out with a pint of maggots and a DAM Quickstick 12'. Lovely rod in its day. As regards the man's enormous credibility, I was watching him fish the Pole Championship at Rudyard Lake in the early 1980's. A bunch of famous anglers, including internationals, were also stood behind him, discussing how to read the signs of bream activity. One said Heapsy reckons bream can blow even when they're off the bottom. Another replied If Heapsy says so, it's right. Talk about being an authority.

Reaction score
Sitting in the pub for two hours when everyone had gone after a winter league match you got some cracking tales out of Ian,brilliant...

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
At one of his road shows he was showing underarm casting a straight lead, He went as if he was casting at the far partitioned wall in the room. One of his mates was stood at the wall and hit it with flat of his hand, all those stood near the wall ducked thinking the feeder had hit it.
At another one a new DAM reel that had just been released was passed around , it never found it's way back to the show table.
The venues were always packed.
I went to one a couple of years ago in Warrington , it was presented by a well known angler from around Bewdley who writes for the Angling Times and a well known river angler who has his own range of line and floats .
There were about 20 people there.How times have changed. The venue must have lost money on ticket sales, because for every 2 tickets you bought you got 2" stands " ticket for Warrington Rugby next super league home game.

nottskev

Reaction score
I used to like going to the road shows he did in Warrington.
Lots of technical knowledge interspersed with humour,

Did he do his groundbait mixing trick? To show how to make a good mix, he mixed it, made a ball threw it to an onlooker who threw it back whereupon Ian crumbled it back down to the mix he started with. Groundbait was all bread back then, and it was easy to make a mix that went lumpy, didn't stick together or if it did, didn't break up properly.

rayner

Reaction score
A simple way to make a pole section float is to put a piece of bubble wrap in the male part of the joints. An easy fix that can save a few quid.
Remove when putting the pole away, save for the next time. Does not make the pole heavier.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Did he do his groundbait mixing trick? To show how to make a good mix, he mixed it, made a ball threw it to an onlooker who threw it back whereupon Ian crumbled it back down to the mix he started with. Groundbait was all bread back then, and it was easy to make a mix that went lumpy, didn't stick together or if it did, didn't break up properly.
Yep, he also showed how various supermarket additives worked . Such as desicated coconut,

Reaction score
My main memories are things that happened during his career,not that I can remember them now,lol,from all fields,about fellow England international's,other top class matchmen,had me weeing myself,absolutely hilarious....

spenbeck

Reaction score
If you are looking for something similar to the nose cones. Make your own with polystyrene. Lots of new things get packed in polystyrene these days. Might be a good idea to put a few pieces to one side and then fit your pole out later. I have some polystyrene and will have ago later. I nearly lost a section at the weekend due to the gusty wind. I think that was a warning!

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
If you are looking for something similar to the nose cones. Make your own with polystyrene. Lots of new things get packed in polystyrene these days. Might be a good idea to put a few pieces to one side and then fit your pole out later. I have some polystyrene and will have ago later. I nearly lost a section at the weekend due to the gusty wind. I think that was a warning!
That's what I put in post number 15,
Easiest way to do it is use both ends of section like a bread punch into the polystyrene.