Maritus (Blue) Marlin

aaron martin

Reaction score
thats a nice blue marlin me and my cousin kane are going to egypt and planning to go fighing and maybe even hook into one of these biug monsters

dave stokes

Reaction score
it's been interesting reading all your comments .

conservation is something i am totally absorbed with , and one comment how seeing that fished killed would have made him cry should get the point over to all of us .

we can't stop all the fishing boats going out as they do to make a living , and if some of us had to spend a week in an abbatoir we would give up eating red meat.

but as for catching that sail fish , being in awe of it's beauty , power , etc ...and having it in my power to return it to live another day ...i would have sold all my fishing gear to pay the captain what he might have got when selling it ...

or many a sleepless night i would have had to endure.

slime monster

Reaction score
i went marlin [fishing] last year in maderia ,highlight of the trip was seeing a pilot whale it was catch and release if you were lucky enough to get a strike and then it had to be your allocated billiard cue sorry rod another boat had one 800lb while we were out the only fish caught all week!! they are very aware that this creature that pays their wages is becoming harder to locate .

ian hewett

Reaction score
Hi Dave I went with the same Company a few years ago and was very lucky to have a 363lb Blue Marlin and a 527lb Hammerhead and when I was with them it was company policy to keep the fish if you wanted them returned it was extra. Dave you had your moment and its a great feeling I was on the same pontoon doing the same as you. Its just in these catch and release times pics like that cause problems its a shame we cannot direct this outrage on the Japanese long liners where the real damage has come from. I would not kill big fish like this again but once in a lifetime is no crime there is far worse happening on our streets.

dave stokes

Reaction score
sailfish of that size are very rare and should therefore not be killed .

the people who run these boats are paid for the trip , charge more , but make it catch and release everywhere , not only is it cruel , its a crying shame .

the japanese are coming under increasing pressure to stop the cruel way they catch whales etc , lets hope it's not too long before they are stopped altogether ..

it is nice to have your pic took with a nice catch , but for goodness sake , watch them swim off after ...so much of a nicer memory./forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif....../forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif.

alan

Reaction score
not only is it cruel

if its cruel you had better sell your rods and give up fishing.

heavier tackle used but the principal is the same, drop a bait, catch a fish.

killing a fish for food is not cruel, if killed cleanly.

killing a fish for a record/photo/advertising op is wrong and needless, not cruel.

dave stokes

Reaction score
cruel , as in beauty , is in the eyes of the beholder .

you might not see it as cruel ..in your list ...but i do....besides,

you would have to be bloody good to kill a fish of that size in one blow / stab.

plus , why think any fishing i do cruel ...i cannot remember the last fish that died after i had caught it ..........................