Maver top kits with bottom pulla bungs fit different

Kevin.gillingham

Reaction score
Ive bought 2 second hand power top kits to go with my,Maver 14.5 metre competition pole.The 3 top kits that came with the pole all have side pullers and are fine,but the second hand one's have bottom pulla bungs and one of the top kits does not fit completely up to the no 4 section like the other one.Ive re elasticated both second hand top kits,and replaced the pulla bungs with identical preston bottom pulla's.For some reason one of the top kits fit spot on and the other is,half an inch from fitting completely up.
Ive checked and both Preston pulla bungs are identical.Will one of the sections be okay fitting 1/2 an inch short or could it snap the joint if I hook a large carp.
Would appreciate any advice or comments.
Thanks Kevin

Kevin.gillingham

Reaction score
Yea,with the bung in,but to get it up to around 2 3/4 in,it is quite stiff,as appossed to the second kit wich is fine.Ive checked both bungs and ive cut them identical

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Should be fine,
Are both sections that the number 4 goes in the same length ? Even 1/2" difference at the bottom end could make the number 4 section hard going in. It's the taper that is affected.
But like I said it should be fine. If you are unsure, put light elastic in and use it for silvers.

Kevin.gillingham

Reaction score
Thank you for that advice,I will see how I go,will not use in the margins just in case I hook a lump.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Save that topkit for silvers,and use the others for larger fish.
It will more than likely be weekend before I measure my kits, will do kits on 3 different poles and see what they come out as.

RMNDIL

Reaction score
2 3/4" would seem a reasonable fit to be fair. Unless the joint had been damaged and cut back by the previous owner such variation in Reglass production is, unfortunately, quite normal.

Kevin.gillingham

Reaction score
Okay thankyou very much.Think I will use for F1's or silvers.I am concerned that to get the top kit to 2 3/4" it is tight compared to the other 3 top kits.All 4 kits are from Maver competition pole

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Hi, measured 17 kits off my Daiwa pole and 2 cupping kits using long number 4's and short 4's. with nose cone on,Averaged out at around 2" .
Had no problems with them, included 6 match kits in them, 2 had side pullers, 2 had bottom pullers and 2 just had tensioner bungs, all other kits power kits with side pullers.
You will be ok with your top kits , I have carp to 15lb on mine.