Maxima Chameleon

R

Rob Brownfield

Am am confused now...if Drennen and Maxima come off the same production line at the same time..why the difference in colour?

Also, I used both lines side by side and i would say the Drennen is stiffer. Is it not that the factory that makes Maxima, also make Drennen???? Certainly totally different colours..and I would say stretch too?!!??!?!?

Just curious...

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I didn't say they came off at the same time, just that some comes off one colour, some another.

When you compare it, compare with like diameters, not by BS. Also, if you compare two different production runs of exactly the same line you'll find subtle (and sometimes not so subtle!) differences.

Look at some line you bought recently and the same line you bought 12 months or more ago.

R

Rob Brownfield

Graham...it was a comment by Rik I was speaking about regarding comming from the same batch..sorry...

I agree with u that some lines can differ from batch to batch. Having said that, Maxima was always consistent.

I have not bought nylon for about 3 years now!!....On to braid for everything...and the quality can be very hit or miss.

R

Ron Clay

Only one comment here. In 1999 I purchased 3 x 100 metre spools of Maxima in South Africa for the equivalent of ?0.90 per spool. The price in UK at the time, per spool - ?3.95!!!

Why??

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
It's mainly interesting in that it agrees with most of the points made in this thread.

D

Dave Oates

I used to work on very clear water trout fisheries.An average week would see 400+ anglers.
A good sample for test?
We sold nylon under the "BOB CHURCH" label, looked just like Maxima (probably was) Could not catch on it!
In the water it stood out a mile.
Switch to clear or pale green line,a stupid stock rainbow,nearly? every time.

R

Rob Brownfield

When floater fishing (not fishing for floaters!!) i used the Drennen line that was sold to fly anglers. It had a lovely matt finish, not too bad stretch, and it sank...perfect for floaters. This stuff seemed to dissapear in water.

I have never caught a fish using maxima off bottom...ie floater fishing or trout fishing with it. Deffinetly the colour putting off fish.

As for Fluorocarbon lines...well...I think this is a mine field of poor quality, inferior lines being passed off as something special. I believe Ron mentioned this too...that Flurocarbon lines are very expensive...so how come there are lines out there at ?3 for 50 metres...hmmm

C

Carp Angler

Graham...it was a comment by Rik I was speaking about regarding comming from the same batch..sorry...

Yeah, I probably made it up.

S

Steve Burke

I agree with Rob about the variable quality of flourocarbon lines. However, I like them for hooklengths in some situations, and also for paternoster links. I've never found one suitable for a reel line and for this purpose they'd be expensive.

Having tried several brands, by far by favourite is Grand Max. This is distributed in the UK by Preston in the lighter breaking strains and Gardner in the heavier ones.

I've also tried Berkeley Vanish (which I gather is a nylon/flourocarbon mix and so much cheaper) as a reel line. Not for long though!

Returning to Maxima/Specimen Plus: one thing I liked about it was that it sunk. I do wish suppliers would put this on the label. They do for fly lines, so why not for mono?

D

Dave O'L

While we are on the topic of lines a question I've been meaning to post for some time if anyone has answers or opinions;

How long can you keep line before having to get rid of?

I have a number of bulk spools of Sensor. They are kept in the dark & only come out when spooling up. They appear to be OK though & I hate to throw anything away if not used!

J

John Pleasance

Dave,There is no reason why line won't last for years if kept cool and dark. I keep mine in the bait fridge in the garage and if unsure I test them to breaking point on an old spring balance.If they don't pull to the breaking strain three times running using a fresh length each time they go in the bin.If they are O.K. I take them fishing.

J

John Pleasance

Fluorocarbon lines I have used and been happy with are Drennan Fly Leader 8lb, and one made by Wychwood 6lb, both have been reliable.
I have some of the Berkeley in 10lb. but it has to be tied with one particular knot which I really don't like,any other knot seems to be useless with this line.
The first two are quite O.K. with a Palomar knot

T

Tony O'dell

So if Maxima is the same line as Drennan Specimen, and refering to the statment that Maxima underate line stength, is 4lb Maxima equivalent to 5lb Drennan Specimen?
And what line is the same as Drennan Floatfish? Looks a lot like Bayer Perlon to me..anyone else of the same opinion?

C

Carp Angler

ohhh you rotter..

Yeah, I'm terrible aren't I.
I just make stuff up for the laugh, well, some people think I do anyway.

B

Birds Nest

Always thought you did Rik, and that Inflatable Carp you Held up in your "Uncommon Common" article didn't fool me either...

On the fluocarbon front, Shakespeare distribute some who's name I forget, but its on a yellow spool.. I've found that reliable in various breaking strains..

R

Rob Brownfield

Rik, I presume thats a dig at me...
quote "Maxima always used to be the central part of the production run, with the beginning and end parts going to Drennan for Floatfish and Specimen+...."

This reads to me that the lines are therefore identical, except for the consistancy of diameter. If this were the case, the lines would have to be the same colour...which there are not. Maxima being a very dark brown, changing to a green in certain light, and the Drennen being sorrel in colour.

I have no doubt however, that the lines are more than likely made in the same factory from the same material, on the same machines, but with a different dye applied.

S

Steve Burke

Tony, I agree, Drennan Floatfish seems to be the same as Bayer Perlon. Both reliable floating lines that I used to use in the past.

C

Chris Bishop

RE Sensor - I used to use the 15lbs all the time and change it every month or six weeks, depending how much abuse I'd given it.

It's an incredibly good, durable line for the price but the higher strains had a tendency to go all ribbony if you were heaving heavy weights around with it.