Monster Pike

• Thread starter Ron 'The Hat' Clay AMIMechE (SA) MIFE (SA) (ACA)
  • Start date
R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay AMIMechE (SA) MIFE (SA) (ACA)

Got two pike yesturday on the Idle. Both took the **** Pearson Grinder which is a 2oz spinnerbait, all orange and chartruese.

The first pike followed the spinner bait and missed it. Next cast produced an almighty take from a very hard fighting fish of about 10 lbs. Actually I think it weighed more - I didn't bother weighing it.

Next two casts some 50 yards up the river produced one follow and another pike of about 5 lbs.

All together a nice little session. Derek had 3 fish.

I have come torealise that within 50 miles radius of where I live there are a few very good pike waters, including the mighty Trent. These comprise mainly drains, rivers and canals. There is also Damflask Ressie.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay AMIMechE (SA) MIFE (SA) (ACA)

I was led to believe so Colin.

Dave Lumb

Reaction score
Surely you remember Gord being banned from Esthwaite some years back, Colin?

He's also claiming one more that I know of from a trout fishery somewhere north of the border. There might be others. Not that anyone with an ounce of sense cares.

Peter Piper

Reaction score
I can vouch for the truth of the famous Loch Ken pike. When I was at school 65 years ago a friend of mine regularly told of his grandfather who had caught a pike in Loch Ken which was the length of the boat. Even given for any exaggeration that must have been a very big fish.

Keith M

Reaction score
The Loch Ken Pike is documented in Fred Bullers ‘Book of Mamoth Pike’. I’m not sure (I’ll look later) but I think a picture of it’s skull is shown in the book.

I think your friends grandfathers Pike which was the length of his boat was a slight exaggeration though :giggle:

Keith