More Swag from the Far-East! Or, I love my postie! Or, Will I never learn?

Wakou

Reaction score
swag.jpg

rayner

Reaction score
Wakou try not to get stuck in the habit of buying chinky crap every time, bargains can be got in the UK. Marks right the bombs look very suspicious.

Keith M

Reaction score
Wakou try not to get stuck in the habit of buying chinky crap every time, bargains can be got in the UK. Marks right the bombs look very suspicious.

It wasn’t so long ago that we could buy shiny leads like those In the UK. I used to dip mine in green paint with sand mixed into it.

As for very cheap tackle from well known sources; have a look here £1 Fishing Tackle which sells discontinued and bankrupt tackle for peanuts.

I certainly wouldn’t trust any cheap electrical equipment from China as it’s well known for overheating and causing fires.

Keith

Last edited:

Keith M

Reaction score
Yes but hopefully it shouldn’t be too long before it comes back on line once the infection rate comes back down to an acceptable level.

Keith

Wakou

Reaction score
Did you check voltage on adaptor ?
And are the glasses screwdrivers to repair the sunglasses when they fall apart.
No comment on those shiny leger weights, ?
Ha ha! The glasses screwdrivers came free with the glasses, and are, to be honest of far better quality!
The adaptor works. I have not yet attacked it with a DMM.
I like the weights! I am sure that they will tarnish-up a treat in my damp tackle-shed.
The clip-ons, OTOH, I am very pleased indeed, effective polarisation, and @ 0.48p each (+shipping etc, total £3.78) are, the dog's things! At that price I can actually AFFORD to sit on them, drop them in the river, leave them on the bankside, etc etc. I wish I had bought more, and probably will, when those events occur, which they certainly will.
The bread-punches and float rubbers were from a UK seller on EBay.
The glasses? Hmm, how can I put this politely?
Shite. They are not (as advertised) polarising, at all! But, for £1.05p each, I will not be losing too much sleep!
Still eagerly awaiting:
Magnifying goggles, ceramic/tungsten beads, 200 split rings, large bag of BB/AAA split-shot and who knows what else!
1613815632912.png

Keith M

Reaction score
The adaptor works. I have not yet attacked it with a DMM.

Even if the Cheap electrical adapters bought from China work, they have a nasty habit of heating up and bursting into flames, so be very very very careful. :confused:

I had one of these, and after reading about them I snipped the wire off it and took my hammer to it and threw it in the bin.
It’s just not worth the risk.

Keith

Last edited:

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I received five new spinner baits all the way from China today. To be honest they look as good as any big name one’s and the hooks look decent too. They may get an outing next week.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dangler40

Reaction score
It was a rhetorical question :) Fact is that it's not all tat that comes out of China although Quality Control issues definitely exist. I have tackle items that are exactly the same as those from 'top brands' at half the cost. It's up to us to act as quality controllers and share our experiences ( positive or negative ) to sort the wheat from the chaff.

Keith M

Reaction score
I wonder where the top brands get their products manufactured ? :)

But if you are a top brand getting your tackle built in China I would have thought that you would not be getting your tackle made in backstreet sweat shops; where quality and safety is a lot less important. You’d have people regularly checking on these things.

However even then some shortcuts are often made to save some money when you get your rods made in China, like substitute rings etc. Like the chinese made Greys Prodigy Barbel rods that both me and a mate of mine bought when they where first built in China, which both had the but ring liners fall out within a month of use; and which we thought were very suspect, even though the rods themselves were still very good.

Keith

Last edited:

Dangler40

Reaction score
I'm not sure all top brands are overly concerned about the working conditions of foreign workers, there's been enough publicity about the conditions of the workers making sports goods, etc being far from ideal, why would tackle manufacturers be any different ? I do think however that their quality control would be in place to protect their market reputation but items still slip through.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
It was a rhetorical question :) Fact is that it's not all tat that comes out of China although Quality Control issues definitely exist. I have tackle items that are exactly the same as those from 'top brands' at half the cost. It's up to us to act as quality controllers and share our experiences ( positive or negative ) to sort the wheat from the chaff.
Roger Surgay advertised poles that were made in the same factory as top brands.
A friend bought one, when I first saw it I thought it was a Preston innovations pole due to the design on the sections,
My friend told me it was an avanti, he paid less for that 11 metre pole and around 4 topkits than I did for a number 4 section for my shimano pole.
Lower range Browning and Shakesperare poles were made in the same factory in China. The only difference between them was the price and graphics,

John Aston

Reaction score
And we sit and cry into our beer when yet another local tackle shop closes... I have to accept that some of the tackle I buy ,even from what passes as my local shop 40miles away , is made in China - because globalisation makes that inevitable. Well, that and the fact that we rarely trouble ourselves about the provenance of stuff which costs peanuts and is shipped to customers 5000 miles away . But am I only the only one who holds his nose when having to buy stuff from a regime which has such an appalling human rights record ? Look at the fate of the Uighurs - if we weren't so reliant on China for trade we'd boycott them entirely .

mikench

Reaction score
I'm a hypocrite and know it when it comes to buying what I think I want. I will buy a Shimano reel for £200 based on the perceived integrity of its Japanese owners, their prowess with gears and fishing tackle and know it's well made and will last lifetime if looked after . It might be made wholly or partly in China. I turn my nose up at an obvious chinese sounding and made reel at a fraction of the cost and with 4 times the bb. Why? I don't know but function isn't everything. A nicely made, beautifully designed and well engineered anything can bring pleasure to the user and that will always be the case.

I will pay .10p for floats, float stops and other bits from China because if they prove to be tat I'm unconcerned. Human rights is an issue but wasn't it always? An old neighbour who had fought in Malaya and been a POW wouldn't buy anything Japanese under any circumstances. My father wouldn't have a German car for many years partly for the same reasons. The disregard of human rights isn't a new phenomenon and litters the history of mankind.