Mucilin Silicone question

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I bought a green tub of this, what situations should it be used for and how do I apply it to the line and which part or parts of the line should I use it?
Mark

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Its a line dressing to help make your flyline [ or leader] float. Simply wipe it on whatever you want to float either with a cloth or an impregnated pad or even your fingers.

Sometimes even the best floating lines start to sink and will need a bit of "stuff" to make them float again. You use it when & where you need it.....and that depends on what your line is doing. Usually I would say its the tip of a floating line that might need a bit of dressing though sometimes having the top few feet "just under" is a definite advantage. You've then got what is effectively a "sink tip".

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Its a line dressing to help make your flyline [ or leader] float. Simply wipe it on whatever you want to float either with a cloth or an impregnated pad or even your fingers.

Sometimes even the best floating lines start to sink and will need a bit of "stuff" to make them float again. You use it when & where you need it.....and that depends on what your line is doing. Usually I would say its the tip of a floating line that might need a bit of dressing though sometimes having the top few feet "just under" is a definite advantage. You've then got what is effectively a "sink tip".

So if I dress the actual fly line and leave the last 3ft this will sink and the lure will sink further? Do I need something on the leader to make this sink as well? And if I am dry fly fishing do I dress the leader with this stuff to make it float or is it just for the main line..
Sorry, bit of a numpty,

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
So if I dress the actual fly line and leave the last 3ft this will sink and the lure will sink further? Do I need something on the leader to make this sink as well? And if I am dry fly fishing do I dress the leader with this stuff to make it float or is it just for the main line..
Sorry, bit of a numpty,

Not necessarily. Floating lines are meant to float. By and large they do but over time some start to lose that floatability. That might be during the day as the tip in particular becomes waterlogged or over a period of time as the line becomes worn or dirty. All floating lines need a good clean now and then and some need a bit of dressing....enter your Mucilin or Permagrease or whatever.

Mucilin is really a line dressing. You can use it on leaders but I prefer Gink. Whatever you put it on should float but you only really need to do this if your line isn't floating properly in the first place. ike I said I'll happily fish nymphs on a floating line when the tip of that line isnt floating because it tucks them under the surface drift which can be exactly what you want. Depends on the day, how deep the fish are and how quickly you are moving your flies etc

For dry fly fishing you want your line floating all the way to the tip. If it isn't use your Mucilin and you also want your leader to float bar (say) the last 3 foot which you want under the surface. You could use Mucilin on your leader but I prefer Permagrease or Gink.

It depends how deep you want your flies to fish. If you are using a floating line then a heavier fly ( or leaded) fly left to sink a bit deeper will get it down but if you want to fish properly deep then you'll need a sinking line of some sort.

I carry Gink and Xink for my leaders and a tin of Permagrease for the odd occasion when my floating line gets a bit waterlogged as they are all liable to do at some point depending on how often you fish and for how long. I doubt I use the PG more than once or twice a season....often never.

Last edited:

ciprinus

Reaction score
i fly fish for carp so by that nature i use dryflies or imitation crust and mixer as well as preturnaturally razor sharp hooks, the Mucilin is used on the end three feet of my tippet, so that the first 3ft after the leader sinks and this creates a sort of 'bolt rig' effect.
in short Mucilin is used like vaseline to grease your line so it wont break thru the surface film, it should have a felt pad inside the tin for application purposes.

robertroach

Reaction score
Agree with Skippy. I use Gehrkes Gink (weird American name) for floating the leader and dressing a dry fly. All you need to do is squeeze a drop onto your finger and run your finger and thumb down the leader and on the fly. Make sure you apply it when everything is dry, not when it is wet and it will work a lot better.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Thanks Skippy for your time and the detail, same to Cip and Rob. I have done some fly fishing but it was a long time ago and I have forgotten what I did then more or less and it was mainly for Chub. I have never really tried fly fishing proper. The tin has a felt pad in it. Oddly enough it was in an antique shop for a quid but I checked it was full and it looked unused so I bought it.
I will look out for some of this Gink as well in the tackle shop. seems a favoured choice for the leader and fly. I guess I will work it out as I go along in part but its good to get an idea first.
My best option first before the 16th is the canal. The lake near me is not suitable as it is tree lined. The stretch of canal usually has those small lilys across it with about a 6ft gap in the center although I think there are some clear bits closer in If I remember rightly. I have not seen it yet this year so it might be a bit free of these lilies until the summer. So, I am not sure how I will fish it yet, might be a bit difficult but I am thinking of casting into the middle bit for some Rudd or maybe some Perch with a suitable fly. Later, I will try the river which is more suitable I know; I have plenty of good waters in mind after the 16th. We will see, I am looking forward to giving it a go and I will post how I get on....thanks

Last edited:

aimeekitching

Reaction score
as a newbie i think I've been using it all wrong :eek:mg: i bought a mucilin silicone liquid in a glass bottle for my dry flies, i have literally just been dipping the flies in , letting them dry a few seconds then casting them out, i have also been using a little bit when I've been cleaning my lines after every trip, ive just popped some on kitchen roll and buffed it on.