My Rockaway & Azores Spinning Set-Up!

Scuba Chris

Reaction score
My Thoughts on my New Okuma Spinning "Whipping" Rig!

For years i grew-up spin casting the shorelines for smaller species. We call this "Whipping" here in Hawaii. Sometimes i get a knock-down hit that'll snap the line if my set-up is to light. Other times if i go with heavier line & lures i won't catch anything because i needed lighter line & smaller lures.

So i just ordered 2 extra spools, one for lighter braid & the other very light monofilament. Currently i have 20lb braid (250yds) on. I always wanted to go with Azores spinners. The stacked drag washer system is unique & powerful. And i just noticed how thick the bail wire is. For years i've used Shimano because it's light. But could never hold a large strike. For the slight difference in weight i think i'm going to be happy with the Azores. It may be heavier then comparable Shimano models but the stopping power & price tag is more attractive. Also the cost for extra Azores spools is very attractive as well.

Four years ago i purchased 4 Okuma T40X light casting rods between 7'9" - 10'9". It was then i fell in love with these type of rods by Okuma. I now have the 10' & 12' Rockaways & 3 "Hawaiian Custom Menpachi Rods" made especially for Hawaii also by Okuma. These are all spin casting rods.

I decided to go all Okuma because their products suit my style of fishing. It's up to everyone how they fish & what products they'll put their faith in. I'm slowly spooling reels & adding to my needs of-
1) Spin Casting rigs (different lengths).
2) Bait Casting rigs (also called Dunking, different lengths).
3) Plugging & Popping rigs (MH & H applications).
4) Sliding rigs (XH applications).

I'm going to stick with 1 brand for everything. Okuma has great products but not the hight price tags. When i start fishing again i'll show how everything "meshes" together. I'll most likely need to alter my equipment along the way but hopefully will find a working system that i can share with other curious watchers. Thanks:)

Attachments

• Azores.jpg
    Azores.jpg
    367.2 KB · Views: 86

Aknib

Reaction score
Rockaway & Azores...

That would have made a great name for a cheesy 80's pop duo! :cool:

Aknib

Reaction score
A bit like Steve McGarrett and whotsisname from Hawaii five 0?

I'm just trying to trot his thread on to break the record for a number of replies and I think we've done it! :ROFLMAO:

Clodhopper

Reaction score
I'm just trying to trot his thread on to break the record for a number of replies and I think we've done it! :ROFLMAO:
[/QUOTE]

A worthy jape, Sir - I chuckled.

However, I found myself wanting more. So I accessed the actual YouTube site (by clicking on 'YouTube' on the clip) and 'disliked' the video. 'Never done that before (never seen the point) and, of course, it was a pointless, futile gesture. Nonetheless, the piece previously had zero 'dislikes'.... as well as zero 'likes'. Now Chris is, as he would probably say, 'Oh and One'.

TincaJim

Reaction score
It wasn’t a futile gesture at all, Youtubers require interaction hits to bump up their advertising revenue, even a dislike is seen as a hit and is a positive for the host.

Aknib

Reaction score
C'mon fellas let's cool it a little, at this rate the amount of traffic this thread is seeing it will get labelled as a hot topic :ROFLMAO: