Name that River - Mark's Selection

John Aston

Reaction score
Ah - pic 10-maybe lower Nidd? Narrow , bushy , peaty water from T' Dales ?

sam vimes

Reaction score
Pretty sure it was the Nidd.
Did your jaunt take you on the A59 between the A1(M) and York? I have my suspicions that it might be somewhere near Skipbridge, which is about halfway between York and the A1. It just happens to have a big layby off the main road (it's actually the remnants of the course of an older road). It would have given you a handy place to stop with easy access to the river.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Did your jaunt take you on the A59 between the A1(M) and York? I have my suspicions that it might be somewhere near Skipbridge, which is about halfway between York and the A1. It just happens to have a big layby off the main road (it's actually the remnants of the course of an older road). It would have given you a handy place to stop with easy access to the river.
I suspect that was where it was. We did a lot of miles that week, based in Malton.

John Aston

Reaction score
Did you notice anything...umm. ...unusual when you were there ? That layby is a very well known dogging spot . Allegedly . I suspect access is easy in more than the sense Sam meant .

sam vimes

Reaction score
Did you notice anything...umm. ...unusual when you were there ? That layby is a very well known dogging spot . Allegedly . I suspect access is easy in more than the sense Sam meant .
I'll happily defer to your greater knowledge of the subject, but is that something that is usually practised in the middle of the day?

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Different set of photos..... No, we were there in the middle of the day.