nephews are starting fishing

dalesman

Reaction score
Got two nephews starting fishing both running water and and still water. I have said I would buy the a couple rods for Xmas. No sure what to buy company wise, need to be float rods. Any own or handled the Drennan Vertex 13' rod?

wetthrough

Reaction score
Action wise for me the Vertex was OK but prone to tip wraps for some reason. I prefer a fairly soft action though with some give down the blank, might not suit everyone and may not be ideal for rivers.

mikench

Reaction score
I'm not going to recommend a particular rod or even brand of rod. Whichever you pick ensure it's a quality rod which your nephews can add to if they like the pursuit but still keep the rod you bought. I assume you are planning to buy them both the same rod. As you will know what suits one person might not suit another. I would consider buying them different rods which they can then swap temporarily or permanently if they wish. Finally I would consider which rivers and still waters they are likely to want to/be able to fish and chose a length and action which will be more universally appropriate.

Reaction score
Cadence #2 probably 13ft would be my suggestion,copes with big and small fish at a decent price,but with quality,you simply cant go wrong imho,only if you are looking top end can you get better...

steve2

Reaction score
I don't know their ages or if they already go fishing or not but if they just want to try it out don't spend to much or it could end up in the corner not being used. There are plenty of good cheap rods out there for beginners. Let them choose what they want within budget.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Got two nephews starting fishing both running water and and still water. I have said I would buy the a couple rods for Xmas. No sure what to buy company wise, need to be float rods. Any own or handled the Drennan Vertex 13' rod?
Get to Angling Direct, They have the Daiwa DMatch rods on offer at £13,
Don't be fooled by the price, I bought one around 4 years ago at £35 , they are brilliant rods,
They also have the Daiwa N'Zon rods at around £25 , again not far off half price ,and brilliant rods,
I had a look at them yesterday, If I hadn't been giving my grandson my Daiwa Harrier rods I would have had no hesitation in buying these rods for him.His dad fished for a couple of decent teams and he would have said great rods and brilliant value for money.
Lightweight,strong and good action.
Even if no AD near you, they do mail order, and at £13 per rod you would get your money back on a resale in the future.

Last edited:

dalesman

Reaction score
I don't know their ages or if they already go fishing or not but if they just want to try it out don't spend to much or it could end up in the corner not being used. There are plenty of good cheap rods out there for beginners. Let them choose what they want within budget.
Ages 14 and 16, already fish with friends borrowing there tackle ( short 10' rods). they mainly fish the ponds and they love to get out on the rivers chasing dace, grayling and chub on the river Wear in the Durham area

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
3pc 13' Daiwa D Match Rod, 14 days for del, due number sold
You won't regret it ,especially at that price,
Show it it to someone who fishes and ask them what they think it costs, Don't show them Daiwa DMatch logo in case they know prices for rods,
When I was shown I estimated around £65, was really surprised when I was told around £35
I think it's due to Daiwa changing its Far Eastern manufacturing plants.