New float rod Daiwa Powermesh 12ft or Greys Toreon 13ft

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I've not been there for a decade, Mark, but I was so depressed by your comment, as I loved fishing there, that I googled some 2019 match results to see if there are any fish left. Here's the top 3 weights (lbs) from the ones I found:

14, 9, 8
22, 18, 17
78, 70, 55,
44, 44, 36

These were all off the Dredger and Oak Tree lengths. Unless they've really been busy this year, the cormorants must have left a few in.

Hartford meadows has been hit, where the bridge on main road goes over the weaver, The Anderton boat lift stretch has been hit, the fish seem to shoal up more now, not sure how the confluence with the Dane is fishing, a favourite method in the matches at one time near that peg, was to fire a few boilies in and fish a larger boilie in with them.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Pity. Any idea if the Bridgewater around Lymm (behind Ye Olde # 3 pub) and Lymm Dam have gone the same way?

@wethrough or mikench may be able to tell you more about the the Dam, they are members of Bay Malton.
I fished the church shallows and the book and stones length regularly when lymm had it.
Feed a swim in your peg with a few grains of corn every 15 minutes when church bell struck, do this for a couple of hours then fish over the top of it, It could be one a chuck .

MountainAsh

Reaction score
@wethrough or mikench may be able to tell you more about the the Dam, they are members of Bay Malton.
I fished the church shallows and the book and stones length regularly when lymm had it.
Feed a swim in your peg with a few grains of corn every 15 minutes when church bell struck, do this for a couple of hours then fish over the top of it, It could be one a chuck .

As a kid, I once saw Derek Bibby absolutely cleaning out the Church Shallows. As kids do, I plonked myself in the swim next door. After a while he came over rearranged my float set up and told me how to best fish the swim. Nice bloke.

wetthrough

Reaction score
The Dam has its days. You can be pulling Roach out one after the other some days and diddly squat in the winter, where do they go I wonder? Plenty of Bream still there if you want to fish further out and on the right day you'll get them in closer although for the most part I just get the odd one here and there. It isn't stuffed with Carp but they are there (and a couple of Koi) and some sizeable ones amongst them. I've only had one and that was a fluke - hooked the tail rubber of a snapped off rig but at least it was in the swim. The biggest Roach I've had was just 1lb but there are bigger in there, 2lb apparently. Only ever had small Perch and one of what I suspect was a Silver Bream of around 2lb. I don't think anyone would call it an easy fish. I like it partly because the swims are so varied. Every peg is different in depth and contours. It adds to the interest.

Oh, and a fair few Pike which hide under your peg waiting for a free lunch!

Last edited: