New reel for Chub and Barbel

Wakou

Reaction score
I've just bought an Okuma Ceymar CBF 3000 Baitfeeder (Baitrunner) Reel for low resistance Perch fishing and for Roach on a Heli Rig.
I've not fished with it yet but it is a smashing reel in the hand. In the larger sizes it could be good for Tench, Chub or Barbel. The Baitfeeder facility clicks off effortlessly with the turn of the handle, nice clutch & a smooth relatively powerful crank from the Duplon handle. The reel body is only 22mm wide! Only comes with one Spool though.
These are the Specs for the CBF 3000:
Gear Ratio 5.0 :1 | Line Retrieve 711mm | LBS/YDS 4/355 6/225 8/175 | Drag 3KG | Bearings 7BB + 1RB | Spool Diameter 42mm | 10yr Okuma Warranty | Only weighs 232g!
I was considering getting a larger one but I have Shimano 6000 GTE already and it's a very good reel too but a bit cumbersome on rods under 12ft.
Wowsers! And I want one! Or two!
And not expensive either!

Crystal Bend

Reaction score
@Wakou Another cheaper link and all models for sale.
Ask them if they post to the UK and if not PM me and I'll try help you out.
I've sent an email to Freddy's enquiring about spare spools too.

Wakou

Reaction score
@Wakou Another cheaper link and all models for sale.
Ask them if they post to the UK and if not PM me and I'll try help you out.
I've sent an email to Freddy's enquiring about spare spools too.
Thank you! That is really kind of you, but I am suffering from a severe case of the Borassics ATM. Others on the forum might want your help though. It IS complicated sorting the wheat from the chaff when buying stuff, even the same manufacturer, same model name etc, turns out to be a very different beast!
However, I wonder if this model is also something of a bargain?

Seems to have a similar spec. And price. But without the baitrunner function?

Crystal Bend

Reaction score
You're very welcome @Wakou
I don't think you will be disappointed in buying one of the XT Match Reels.
They look like my reel without the Baitfeeder feature, still have the 8 Ball Bearings & the 3000 still only weighs 232g! It is a faster Gear Ratio 6.2 :1 though but that's what you want for Float Fishing.
I'd probably go for the 4000 as the spool is going to be wider presuming the 3000 spool is the same as mine at 42mm diameter.
The wider spool will aid casting. I'd load it up with 3lb Maxima Chameleon or Daiwa Tournament ST 5lb.
As a comparison I've bought 2no. Daiwa Fuego LT 3000D-C Reels for $169 each and they are brilliant reels for Waggler Fishing that weigh 215g each. The XT Match Reel is not far behind in weigh or quality.
Also as you turn the handle, the Ceymar Cyclonic Flow Rotor exposes the red under the spool and it does look very cool compared to the Fuego LT in a Tackle Tart kind of way:LOL:
I'm very impressed with mine and I think you won't be disappointed if you take the plunge.
Martin Bowler I think used to work with Okuma & still uses there Baitfeeders and standard Reels.
I haven't used Daiwa ST line yet but I've been told it is great for Waggler Fishing as it goes below the surface but doesn't sink too deep which aids on the strike;)

Crystal Bend

Reaction score
These Reels are meant to be highly regarded too:
An EPR40 sold for £46.50 on the 12th of Feb.

Dangler40

Reaction score
These Reels are meant to be highly regarded too:
An EPR40 sold for £46.50 on the 12th of Feb.
Even nicer were the model before this ( the 'Epix' -better build quality IMO) if you can find one second hand in the right size although, as you rightly say, the Epix Pro is highly regarded by its followers.

Reaction score
Daiwa Exceller 4000 size(it is bigger than the Shimano 4000's),well within budget,the Cadence CS7,or any in the 4000 size reels in the range are pretty good,drag systems are very,very good,certainly equal to many others,for me bait runners are a carpers/sleepers reel,i'm more on the ball than that,and do not like giving a three foot twitch a head of steam to work with,everyone to their own though...

Keith M

Reaction score
for me bait runners are a carpers/sleepers reel,i'm more on the ball than that,and do not like giving a three foot twitch a head of steam to work with,everyone to their own though...

I never use my baitrunner function when I’m actually fishing on a river for Chub or Barbel (or anything else unless I were fishing for Carp on a large and fairly slow river); but the baitrunner function does come in very handy when I’m moving a largish fish onto my unhooking mat in a tight swim (when it’s not possible for me to have my unhooking mat placed next to the water); and when I’m threading my line through my rod rings when setting up; and occasionally if i need to let some line out when I’m rebaiting or replacing my hook or my leger weight.

I much prefer to touch leger (when I’m not trotting a float) and there’s no reason to use the baitrunner function at all when my bait is actually in the water.; however it does come in very handy for other things on the bank.

But as Whitty says; each to their own .

Keith

Last edited: